True Story of Jesse James

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,197 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Keith

Yes, nice well made documentary.

A case of Fordism in Print the Legend (or myth in this case ) not the truth
    about the real life of James although I already knew bits of the story.

Was there anymore word of new Jesse James movie or has that disappeared
    already from the cinemas.

Makes me hanker after Tyrone Power movie which I dont think has ever appeared on legit Region 2 DVD yet only from Far East.

Mike

• Hi

I enjoyed this documentary too.
    I have both ' Jesse James' (1939) and 'The Return of Frank James' (1940)
    on VHS and still remain, two of my all time favourite, non Duke
    Westerns

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Mike, it has been made but I cannot find a release date as of yet. Here is a link to the info over on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Makes me hanker after Tyrone Power movie which I dont think has ever appeared on legit Region 2 DVD yet only from Far East.

Mike, Amazon US indicates that Jesse James with Tyrone Power will be released on DVD in March. See -

Amazon.com: Jesse James: Tyrone Power,Henry Fonda,Nancy Kelly,Randolph Scott,Henry Hull,Slim Summerville,J. Edward Bromberg,Brian Donlevy,John Carradine,Donald Meek,Johnny Russell,Jane Darwell,Charles Tannen,Claire Du Brey,Willard Robertson,Harold Goodwin,Ernest Whitman,Eddy Waller,Paul E. Burns,Spencer Charters,Irving Cummings,Henry King: Movies & TV

Does that mean it might follow in the UK anytime soon?

Chester :newyear:

• I have both ' Jesse James' (1939) and 'The Return of Frank James' (1940) on VHS and still remain, two of my all time favourite, non Duke Westerns

Keith, thanks for bringing these titles to our attention. As you can see in my post above, Jesse James will be coming out soon on DVD in the US. Amazon US already has The Return of Frank James on DVD (here's the link - Amazon.com: The Return of Frank James: Henry Fonda,Gene Tierney,Jackie Cooper,Henry Hull,John Carradine,J. Edward Bromberg,Donald Meek,Eddie Collins,George Barbier,Russell Hicks,Ernest Whitman,Charles Tannen,Lloyd Corrigan,Victor Kilian,Edward McWade,George Chandler,Irving Bacon,Frank Shannon,Barbara Pepper,Louis Mason,Fritz Lang: Movies & TV).

What's your experience with titles released in the US, compared to when they release in the UK? Does there seem to be any pattern at all? Anybody else have any insight into this?

What's your experience with titles released in the US, compared to when they release in the UK? Does there seem to be any pattern at all? Anybody else have any insight into this?

Hi Jim,

There doesn't appear to any pattern of releases at all.
    We still have a few of the old titles missing on DVD release, and indeed even some of the VHS titles you've had available Stateside, have never appeared here.

The High and the Mighty and Island In The Sky are still not available here!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Im surprised Jesse James & Frank James have not been released on DVD as some of the more unknown Tyrone Power films have already ben released.

I was hoping that Fox's Studio Classic might include the titles.

In regard to John Wayne Hondo and the special Mc Lintock have still not been released in Region 2

One of the reasons for arming yourself with a multi region DVD player. Available from £20.00 now. Also, when these titles do get released no doubt some High Street retailers will be looking for £15.00 plus for each title or they will come as a boxed set with previous released DVDS

Also, whilst Mc Q has come via Holland or Germany in Region 2 I dont think it has been released yet in UK.

Mike

• Tell you, if they had, made a film about the 'real' Jesse James,
    it would have to be censored, and been so horrific, it would have been,
    'X' rated.

The James boys were far from the 'nice 'boys as
    portrayed by Tyrone and Henry!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

I was thinking about that when I was watching the documentary.

The more you examine what happened during the American Civil War (on both sides of the conflict) you can start to understand why a element of bitterness has remained right up until now.

Even in the John Ford movies were he tends to sympathise with the South there is an undercurrent of wrong being done during the war.

In regards, to any Jamess movie I would say the romantic legend would be played if the film was to have any chance of success with an audience.

I remember watching the Long Riders film by Walter Hill which depicted The James Gang and Younger brothers at the end of their lives and whilst it was closer to being authentic than the Tyrone Power version it never really made you care about the characters.

Mike

• There are several good DVDs being released in the next couple of months, including a couple related to Jesse James. In March or April we'll get "Jesse James" w/Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda, and "The Return of Frank James" w/Henry Fonda.

Also "The Heiress" with Olivia de Havilland, "Fixed Bayonets" w/Richard Baseheart, "The Purple Heart" w/Dana Andrews, "Sailor of the King" w/Jeffrey Hunter (a really good movie), "Cinderella Liberty" w/James Caan (another excellent movie), "Billy Budd" w/Robert Ryan, Terrance Stamp and Peter Ustinov, and "Three Musketeers" w/Gene Kelly (one of Gene's best, I thought).

Plus we'll get some excellent TV shows on disc, including seasons 3 & 4 of "Miami Vice", season 3 of "Rockford Files" and season 1 of "Hawaii Five-0".

I know where my extra change is going in the next 2 or 3 months. :yeaahh:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Great films, even on my old VHS copies!
    The good thing is, that they are put together,
    as if they are Part 1 and 2.
    So you can watch them one after another,
    like one big Jesse James 'soap opera'

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hey Stumpy, do you have a release date on "Fixed Bayonets" with Richard Baseheart? I know Ringo would be interested as well. Thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey Stumpy, do you have a release date on "Fixed Bayonets" with Richard Baseheart? I know Ringo would be interested as well. Thanks.

Supposedly, those war movie titles I named will be released 24 April, Todd. I highly recommend "Sailor of the King". Though it's been many years, I've seen it and know it to be a very good film.

I can't say for sure that I've seen the other two, though "Fixed Bayonets" does sound familiar.

I've seen so durned many movies in the past 69 years that they just all kinda blend together anymore. Sometimes I think I'm developing Altzheimers. :unsure:

De gustibus non est disputandum