Hubble's Top Ten space photographs and other aviation stories

There are 104 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,971 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Todd, I don't know. And if you noticed, when they showed the old guy, it looked like he was controlling the movement of his plane with his head . . . his head and the movement of the plane seemed to be exactly in sync . . . it was almost scary. The Mrs. had to stop watching, as she was getting a little sick to her stomach.

Chester :newyear:

• I got the following in an email and I thought those of you who are into planes would enjoy it -

Royal C-17
    For you aviators and aviation buffs, you will enjoy this.
    For the non-aviators... you will really be amazed.
    Just wait until you get down to picture number 5!
    plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

plane4.jpg

plane5.jpg

plane6.jpg

The four builders are shown in the image above. Colin Straus, the owner, is at the nose of the aircraft. This 1/9th scale radio-controlled C-17 model was built in the United Kingdom . It was built as the centerpiece of a 15 program television series produced in the U.K. for the Home and Leisure satellite TV channel.Built with the aid of three friends, it took one year to build and is powered with 4 Jetcat P-120 turbines with a total thrust of 108 lbs. The model weighs over 250 lbs fueled, and carries 12.5 liters (3.3 US gallons) of 95% kerosene and 5% turbine oil fuel. Other details include 5 Futaba PCM receivers, 16 battery packs (93 cells), 20 Futaba servos, on board air compressor, electro/pneumatic retracts, etc. Wingspan is 20 feet 8 inches, and the top of the FIN is 74 inches (6 feet 2 inches) above the ground. Takeoff weight is 264 lbs. The rear cargo doors open and they drop an r/c jeep on a pallet, as well as 2 free-fall r/c parachutists.The model also has smoke systems both of the inboard turbines, and uses a 2.4 GHz data link to provide real-time data to a laptop computer on the ground while in flight. This data includes airspeed, turbine RPM, EGT, fuel consumption, etc. Built mainly from balsa and ply, with many glass and carbon fiber moldings to reduce weight. It is covered in fiberglass and epoxy resin. Complete with retractable landing gear and pneumatically operated flaps.

This C-17 Globe Master III is one of the largest jet models in the world today!

• I used to be into model airplanes with a vengeance when I was in my teens and 20s, but cannot imagine a project this extravagant or ambitious!!! WOW!!!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Here's what the guy (who put up these videos on YouTube) has to say -

Howard Hughes' movie Jet Pilot was horrible, sappy dialog and plot, not to mention Janet Leigh's annoying character. However the flying scenes are fantastic so I condensed the whole movie into 15 minutes of pure flying. For all you F-86 buffs out there, enjoy! For those of you who like the flying and decide to rent the movie, don't say I didn't warn you.

Chilibill should enjoy these!

Jet Pilot - Just the flying scenes Part 1
    [extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Jet Pilot - Just the flying scenes Part 2
    [extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

• there's a lot of intresting stuff in this thread. Thanks Chester for that one with all the old war planes it was pretty good. Does nayone know where those pictures were taken?

clancy

• Listening to Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" this morning, I heard an interesting story that had to do with planes and aviation history in Australia, which of course made me think of smokey and bluecap and other Aussie members. And planes made me think of Chilibill . . . and I thought others might be interested in this piece of history and the surprising link to America and the famous person involved. Read on . . .

For those who would like to read more about early Australian aviation history, go here.

I have to say I was quite surprised by Harry Houdini's part in the story.

• Jim, what a fascinating clip.
    A great couple of models,
    and the folks who build and opperate these things,
    are very clever.
    Never heard the real plane, but it sure sounds like the real thing!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Chester, Great Video and Flying By The Man at Controls Of The Aircraft !
    :hyper:
    We never flew Up-Side-Down Much or Rolled The Real B-29, But We Did Love To Buzz People on the Ground when we got the chance.
    :ohmy:
    And we were Lucky if we ever Landed With All Four of the Engines Still Turning, because those Old P.W. 3350 Engines that the B-29 had, left over from W.W. 2 were Not All That Good !!!
    :angel:
    Below is a Story that I did For the News Paper in Phoenix Years Ago on the Time That We Did Not Make If Back Home !!!
    :yeaahh:
    http://www.ranch26bar.com/BAILOUTA.html
    Bill
    :cowboy: