Across The Pond

There are 91 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,336 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jim

There are a number of books written about the 95th regiment,and as Robbie has so perfectly covered they were called the Royal Greenjackets and still wear the uniform.

In 1810 they were a part of the Light Brigade and later the Light Division under Brigader, later Major general Robert Crawford a fiery Scot with a hasty temper.

As well as the 95th Rifles Crawford was given control of the 43rd and 52 infantry Regiments a regiment of Portugese Cacadores, a regiment of the Kings German Legion and a coupleof Squadrons of the 14th and 16th Dragoons

Among the Books written are recollectons of a Rifleman by Captain Kincaid, Costello wrote a book as did Rifleman Harris.

A famous member of the division was Captain Harry Smith during the British attack on Badajoz the city was looted by the British and when wandering down the streets he came across a young Spanish Woman who had had her earrings ripped from her ears but other than that was ok. Smith fell in love with her and almost immediately they were married with the Duke of Wellington giving the bride away.

Later a General Sir Harry Smith he became the Governor of South Africa and the Town of Ladysmith was named in his wife's honour.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Further to the dress of the Light Division Crawford, who suffered from periods of depression, became so concerened about the state of his division that he wrote to Wellington asking for them to be urgently re-equipped. Wellington arranged an inspection and with the entire division lined up deliberately arrived early catching Crawford on the hop. Seeing Crawford hurrying to meet him Wellington chided him on his tardyness.
    Crawford replied not so my Lord you are before your time showing Wellington his watch.

after inspecting the division Wellington said that he had never seen it looking better and warned Crawford that he would soon have need of him for and important task.
    This was the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo at which Crawford was killed.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks very much for the info, Arthur.

I've very much enjoyed most of the Richard Sharpe saga except for the first ("Rifles") and last night I watched one that I didn't think was all that great "Sharpe's Enemy". I told Rob though that in every episode I've watched, it seems that some of Sharpe's worst enemies are in his own army and are usually the high-born officers who looked down upon him because he came up through the ranks. I think the class divisions that have always plagued England are regrettable, though I'm sure those divisions are much less now than they were in Wellington's time.

One of my favorite characters in the series is the Sergeant Major Patrick Harper.

When I first began watching them, these old Texas country boy's ears had a few problems understanding the English dialect but the more I've watched, the easier it has become. Of course, I imagine my cousins across the pond would have a hard time understanding us Texans too. Or any Southerner, for that matter. Thank goodness our written language is more or less the same.
    Cheers,
    Jim

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The quality of writing and thus the stories themselves in the Sharpe series is very inconsistent. Some are excellent and some are much less than excellent. I watched one of the latter this morning, "Sharpe's Honour", in which his execution was faked in order to
    placate Spanish interests to prevent an alliance between Ferdinand and Napoleon.

Another thing that doesn't ring true at all are the many wounds Sharpe has suffered and his continued survival. Anyone who's studied history at all knows that medical knowledge and hygiene were atrocious in the early 1800s. Even minor wounds often resulted in death from infection, yet Sharpe has been shot and cut numerous times in those episodes I've watched. Some of the episodes remind me of B Grade Westerns, in that the protagonists never seem to suffer ill effects from gunshot wounds that in real people would kill or incapacitate for long periods.

• Read a bit in the link May provided. Got a kick out of Cornwell's statement that he set out to write books about a "land-based Horatio Hornblower". Forester's books have always been among my favorites and were a major reason I became such an Anglophile.

• Have come to the conclusion it's time to take a break from Sharpe's adventures as I'm getting bored with them. The plots have become far too melodramatic and staged - it's unrealistic to assume that every time Wellington found himself in a tight spot, he called upon Sharpe and the "chosen men" to get him out of it. As I said earlier, they're starting to remind me of those old "B" Westerns. Sharpe and his men are naturally the guys in the white hats.

And why is it that in every episode, some good-looking woman offers herself to our hero?
    I thought it was kinda poetic justice that in "Sharpe's Enemy", his wife Teresa is murdered by Hakeswill almost immediately after Sharpe surrenders himself to a loose woman he and his men are trying to rescue.

Speaking of Obadiah Hakeswill, he definitely makes an outstanding candidate for the memorable villain list. That guy was a snake if there ever was one. Was glad to see him end up in front of a firing squad.

• Always been a Sharpe fan
    Have worn one of the famous Redcoats with the 1879 group a Victorian reenactment portrayal of the Zulu wars.
    In the middle of joining up with a Napolionic group the 42nd Highlanders Black Watch! So that will be redcoat and kilt ,it will be a bit different firing a brown bess musket instead of a martini henry rifle as well

• Have come to the conclusion it's time to take a break from Sharpe's adventures as I'm getting bored with them. The plots have become far too melodramatic and staged - it's unrealistic to assume that every time Wellington found himself in a tight spot, he called upon Sharpe and the "chosen men" to get him out of it. As I said earlier, they're starting to remind me of those old "B" Westerns. Sharpe and his men are naturally the guys in the white hats.

And why is it that in every episode, some good-looking woman offers herself to our hero?
    I thought it was kinda poetic justice that in "Sharpe's Enemy", his wife Teresa is murdered by Hakeswill almost immediately after Sharpe surrenders himself to a loose woman he and his men are trying to rescue.

Speaking of Obadiah Hakeswill, he definitely makes an outstanding candidate for the memorable villain list. That guy was a snake if there ever was one. Was glad to see him end up in front of a firing squad.

Hi Jim

Did you ever resume your enjoyment of "Sharpe"?

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Jim

Did you ever resume your enjoyment of "Sharpe"?

:agent:

Oh, I bought and watched all the episodes, Rob, but there were just 3 or 4 I really liked. As I said earlier, after awhile they began to remind me of those old "B" Westerns.

I really like Bean as an actor and he played Sharpe's part well but I think the screenwriting left a lot to be desired.
    Jim

• Many PBS stations are airing Sharpe's Challenge on this coming Sunday's Masterpiece Classic. This aired last year on BBC America. Next week will be Sharpe's Peril which has not been on in the US. Peril is supposed to be better than Challenge.