Any baseball fans out there?

There are 131 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,375 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I watch baseball when I can. The Phillies in the NL, and the Chi-Sox in the AL. Some day I'll get a 1919 Black Sox, and a 1915 Phillies jersey.

From a Twins fan. BOOOO to the White Sox!!! HEHEHEHE!!! J/K!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Lifetime Dodger fan. Followed them with my father and keeping it alive after his death. Not doing well this season. Collasped in the second half of this season. Well maybe next year, hope to keep Joe Torre for another season. He turned 70 and has not made up his mind yet if he will retire or not. Will decide by Labor Day.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Myself, I'm a lifelong Detroit Tiger fan. In fact, I'm watching them right now vs the Blue Jays. But, I also like watching the Dodgers just to listen to Vin Scully. The way he calls a game just makes you relax and enjoy it. Alot like the late Ernie Harwell did here in Detroit for so many years.
    Also like the Cardinals somewhat because of those red uni's. And when I first saw the new ballpark with those red seats and the green background, I was just floored.

• I've been a big Baltimore Orioles fan since the early 70's when they were close to being a real dynasty. the last 13 years have been hard to bear and this year was the worst. They just stunk up the joint. But since we got Buck Showalter to manage the club this month, they have actually showed some life and I can watch them again with both eyes open. Never gave up on them, but they made it hard to watch for a while.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Minnesota Twins fan here..........New stadium is very nice. Much better then watching the games in the dome. I have been to 1 game this year, that is all I usually go too.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The fans I feel sorry for are the Pirates fans. We had some bad years in Detroit with the Tigers but, the Pirates seem to bad year after year. And what makes it worse is that even though they stink, they still made a $24 million profit last year. Ownership can't build a winner but, they can sure line their pockets with the fans money.

• This is great.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-20017537-10391697.html

1960 Series Game Found in Bing Crosby's Wine Cellar

Television archives are lacking thousands of hours of classic broadcasts which were never preserved - they simply disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again. A complete recording of the very first Super Bowl broadcast, for example, does not exist, even though it was carried by two networks.
    For many baseball fans, a Holy Grail would be to re-watch the seventh game of the 1960 World Series between the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees, a contest dubbed by some "The Best Game Ever."

Broadcast by NBC, there is no copy of the game other than a few newsreels that show highlights, including Bill Mazeroski's home run that won the game, and the championship, for the Pirates.

Today The New York Times reported a remarkable discovery in the most unlikely place: A 16mm kinescope recording of the entire broadcast was found in the former wine cellar of singer Bing Crosby, where the reels have rested undisturbed for 50 years.

Crosby, who was a part-owner of the Pirates, evidently was also extremely superstitious and could not bear to watch the deciding game of the series for fear of jinxing a Pittsburgh win. (The fear was so great he "escaped" to Paris and listened to the game on the radio.)

But in order to see the game later (and lacking the future technology of home videotape and DVRs), Crosby hired a film crew to record the NBC broadcast, featuring announcers Mel Allen and Bob Prince, off a TV screen.

The five reels of film were found in December in a vault that was once a wine cellar at Crosby's home in Hillsborough, Calif., near San Francisco.

Robert Bader, vice president for marketing and production for Bing Crosby Enterprises, told the Times he uncovered the film canisters, which are in excellent condition, while searching Crosby's vault for TV recordings of the singer, who died in 1977.

The MLB Network will "re-broadcast" the game in a special this December.

• On this date the Phillies have the best record in baseball. without a doubt the best second half team in all of baseball.(bud)

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• My husband is a long-time baseball fan and is the secretary of the Braves 400 Fan Club. Alas, it looks like the Braves won't make it into the post-season. He was so looking forward to post-season games. ;)

Speaking of baseball, any Bing Crosby fans here? Because he was a big-time baseball fan and a major discovery was just found in his wine cellar!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09…html?_r=1&ref=bing_crosby