Pet Peeves

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,422 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well said Stumpy, Dakota, GT, Todd, all.

I feel exactly as was posted here about PC. I AINT PC and never will be either. If someone cannot stand a few words--the heck w/ them. That PC garbage is the ruin of it all.

Dakota, Archie Bunker was great wasn't he? Damn I sure miss the character. Was not afraid to speak his mind and cared nothing for an idiots opinion of him--as the way it should be.

GT, sharpton and jackson both, are blowhards.

Todd, about why more people don't listen to Will Smith or Bill Cosby is because, they are afraid to hear the truth. I have great respect for both of those Gentlemen. Cosby is now known in the black community, as one who has "gone white" as sharpton said not too long ago. I think sharpton is just jealous that Cosby was smart enough to earn his wealth. Isn't it one of the 10 Commandments that says something in the lines of: "One should not covet thy neighbors property?" or something along those lines? Oh al, is breaking a commandment. So much for being a "Man-of-the-cloth-and-a-man-of-God."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Depends on your religion. For the most part he's breaking the 10th Commandment: "Thou shalt not covet anything that is thy neighbor's." Good point though... these blow hards should be fixing their own culture, cleaning up the music that comes from some of the rappers. News story about this subject brought out the fact that they think snitching is against their principles. It would ruin their street cred. So crimes go unsolved because of their own pride and stupidity.

• Thank you and I completely agree with you. Also, same garbage is floating around here thanks to the naacp trying to "stir" up the poorer sections of town - known as: The Cuts.

• I just thought of another feature of the technological age that has irritated the hell out of me for about 20 years. I don't know who the idiot was that came up with the design for "in from antenna", "out to TV" jacks on VCRs but they need their freakin' head examined.

I've never seen a VCR that didn't have those all-important jacks recessed into the VCR case, making it extremely difficult to connect the coaxial cables to the jacks themselves. Why in the devil do they have to be recessed, for Pete's sake?

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Why the heck do they make HD and BlueRay versions of DVDs? To me, their extra cost is not worth the minimal improvement (if any) I would realize on my system. This sounds like just another way to gouge the consumer!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• This sounds like just another way to gouge the consumer!

I agree, Jay. Of course, you could say that about many of the elements of modern society.

Like I said earlier, I sometimes get very disgusted with our economic system. It seems to me that many if not most of our economic priorities are seriously out of whack. Athletes, movie and rock stars are compensated millions of dollars, while farmers, who produce the food that sustains the human race, just barely scrape by. That is, unless they're the big corporate farmers who own millions of acres and are subsidized by the government besides. Crazy...........

• Why the heck do they make HD and BlueRay versions of DVDs? To me, their extra cost is not worth the minimal improvement (if any) I would realize on my system. This sounds like just another way to gouge the consumer!

This may get me in trouble with you and Stumpy but here it goes.

I am assuming that both of you have not had the oppurtunity to watch HD TV in your home on a "big" screen TV, I am talking over 40 inches, flat screen and a nice surround system? If not then the rest of this post means that you are happy with what you see and the picture is not all that important to you.

Now, there is a HD-DVD and BluRay disc because there are 2 companies competing for what format will be excepted as the high defintion DVD format. Kind of like VHS and Beta. And with the 2 companies making differnet format DVD's you have some films come out on Blu-Ray and some on HD-DVD or sometimes on both formats. The problem is that you can only watch each on its respective player and most people are not going to buy 2 different players to watch these movies so we are in a holding pattern until they can get this resolved. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, LG has a dual format player out and there will be other manufacturers releasing there own versions later this year. Obviously they are quite expensive and the thing to do is wait.

As for the benefits of the 2 HD formats, think about this. Right now a normal DVD holds roughly 9 gig of data so you have to put 2 DVD's in a movie case because they cannot fit the feature film and all the extra's on 1 disc unless they compress the disc so bad that the movie looks like crap. HD-DVD holds roughly 25 gig of data and Blu-Ray holds 40-50 gigs of data. That's alot of data and there will be many new and exciting things that they can do with this much room on a disc as well as the players that use them.

As a techno kind of guy I know other people don't get into this stuff like I do but to me it is really exciting and a HD program is awesome. I mean, they had 3 Duke movies on HDNet last Sunday and they were simply amazing, like watching the movie for the first time all over again. I have a 50 inch plasma TV and a home theater sound setup and I said this from the time I first started posting on this board, 1 of the biggest reason's that I bought my TV and sound system was because I never got the see John Wayne movies or any of the other classics that I love in the theater. So now I get to enjoy them in my home.

HD is awesome and it is coming wether you want it to or not. I agree, buying all this equipment and stuff gets old and hard on the pocket book. Its just where you put your priorities at. If you guys are happy with the normal DVD, and I am for the most happy with it as well(it will just look even better in HD), then don't worry about it. They will not stop producing the regular DVD's anytime soon so just keep buying those and let the geeks(like me) buy those HD format DVD's(when the players and disc's get cheaper of course).

I didn't mean to offend anybody, I just like to watch my movies and make them the best they can be.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I agree, buying all this equipment and stuff gets old and hard on the pocket book. Its just where you put your priorities at. If you guys are happy with the normal DVD, and I am for the most happy with it as well(it will just look even better in HD), then don't worry about it. They will not stop producing the regular DVD's anytime soon so just keep buying those and let the geeks(like me) buy those HD format DVD's(when the players and disc's get cheaper of course).

High definition TV is not on my list of priorities at all, Todd, since neither the wife nor I watch that much. I'm perfectly satisfied watching my DVDs on the low-tech gear I have. Now if they ever lower the price on 'em, I might reconsider but there's no way I'd ever even consider paying 2 or 3 thousand dollars just to watch television.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, I just like to watch my movies and make them the best they can be.

There's no way you're offending anybody, my friend. Different strokes for different folks, remember.

• I am a total techno guru... I love new technology, I may wait a bit for the bugs to get worked out but I go overboard with an excellent home theater system. And there is nothing like HDTV for supreme viewing... I finally went HD few months ago and got a beautiful Sony 46" Bravia LCD HDTV to go along with my Panasonic DMR EH-75V w/80 GB HD, a Panasonic DMR-E-80H w/80 GB HD, a Sony HDMI Precision Cinema Progressive 5 DVD/CD Changer and a DigiView HDMI 5-Port Hub. And all this is connected to my Motorola Dual Tuner DVR Digital Cable box. I had to get the hub since the HDTV's only have one HDMI input but the hub allows me to take up to 5 HDMI devices and channel them through the remote controlled hub so I can take advantage of all the HD programming without having tons of cables behind my HDTV.

HD is so awsome like you said, I actually stay up late many a night just to watch HD Discovery channel and the beautiful wildlife programming that makes you feel your right there. It's almost like the fancy theaters at Disney and Universal. The picture is like nothing you've ever seen before in your home. I was reluctant at first but the industry (all TV channels) is suppose to go 100% HDTV in the next two years. Non-HD programming will be unavailable just like analog is basically gone now. Now this doesn't mean you will have to get a new TV but you will be missing out on some very good television.

The John Wayne HD movies have been magnificent, McLintock, El Dorado, Red River and now The Shootist. You want to buy something nice for your family this Christmas, get an HDTV and HD cable or satellite.

• This may get me in trouble with you and Stumpy but here it goes.
    I am assuming that both of you have not had the oppurtunity to watch HD TV in your home on a "big" screen TV, I am talking over 40 inches, flat screen and a nice surround system? If not then the rest of this post means that you are happy with what you see and the picture is not all that important to you.
    HD is awesome and it is coming wether you want it to or not. I agree, buying all this equipment and stuff gets old and hard on the pocket book. Its just where you put your priorities at. If you guys are happy with the normal DVD, and I am for the most happy with it as well(it will just look even better in HD), then don't worry about it. They will not stop producing the regular DVD's anytime soon so just keep buying those and let the geeks(like me) buy those HD format DVD's(when the players and disc's get cheaper of course).

Todd - certainly no offense taken. I do love the widescreen presentation on DVDs, but the picture seems sharp enough to me without resorting to higher priced items. The extras I usually watch only once and there are a lot of them that could be left out and I wouldn't miss them.
    My sound system for music is pretty good, but is nowhere near the high end. Now recordings are coming out with SACDs and all (more expensive, of course), but I'm perfectly happy with the sound on regular CDs.
    I didn't get into CDs until 1988. I resisted until LPs became almost non-existant. I'll probably resist anything new until I'm force to do otherwise.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I'll probably resist anything new until I'm force to do otherwise.

Guess you and I are Luddites, Jay. :laugh:

Well, I'm not so much a Luddite as my priorities are different than the techies. For instance, I bought a new $35000. Honda Ridgeline pickup a couple of months ago. I get much greater enjoyment out of driving a new sporty vehicle than I do out of watching razor-sharp pictures on a TV receiver. Like you, I'm perfectly satisfied with the television and stereo equipment I have - it may not be the latest and greatest but it suits me.

I'll probably resist anything new until I'm force to do otherwise.

Yeah... I am usually the same way, but hey I got on the DVD bandwagon in just 4 years! they debuted in 1997, I got my first DVD player when it was on sale for $100 in 2000, and got my first DVD movies in 2001.

• Get this, a friend of mine bought one of those expensive TV sets--thin screen ones. Tom mounted it to his livingroom wall which certainly makes more space. Anyway, I was over there a few Sundays ago--cooking dinner for he, his Girlfriend and I, and the set was on. I thought it interesting to see the TV set had some sort of lights behind it which changed colors when watching any program.

OK, we sat down for dinner and Tom had put a DvD he had just bought ($1.00 dvd w/ 4 John Wayne westerns on it) and the lights still changed from light to dark etc. Anyway, for a cheap $1.00 dvd, that TV set really did it much justice. I almost felt like I was in a theater watching John Wayne on the big screen and it was really nice.

All that aside--I have a "Circuit City Special" for a TV set. Including tax, I paid the tidy sum of about $80.00 bucks. I was not trying to be cheap at that time and bought this set because of lack of room in the livingroom (I live in a 1 bedroom apt) and it aint a big apartment.

Anyway, I can't justify (if I had the funds of course) spending $3,000 for a TV set (like Tom spent and to each his own) and like Stumpy, would rather have a vehicle to drive and enjoy.

However, that position may change in the next few years - when I expect to more than have funds to toss around for such pleasures. I have a "13" inch Color set--sound lacks (as I expected) but I do get the entertainment from it that it was designed for.

Back in 1988, we did have one of those huge big screen sets. I think we paid around $3,000 or so for it and it was nice. I enjoyed watching tons of programs while we had that set.

• Anyway, I can't justify (if I had the funds of course) spending $3,000 for a TV set (like Tom spent and to each his own) and like Stumpy, would rather have a vehicle to drive and enjoy. .

I much rather get a bunch of DVD's that equal up to that price rather than spend it all on one item. I want one but I much prefer getting new movies.

• Guess you and I are Luddites, Jay. :laugh:

Well, I'm not so much a Luddite as my priorities are different than the techies. For instance, I bought a new $35000. Honda Ridgeline pickup a couple of months ago. I get much greater enjoyment out of driving a new sporty vehicle than I do out of watching razor-sharp pictures on a TV receiver. Like you, I'm perfectly satisfied with the television and stereo equipment I have - it may not be the latest and greatest but it suits me.

Hey Stumpy, I like driving something sporty too, especially something that'll haul ass!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hey Stumpy, I like driving something sporty too, especially something that'll haul ass!!!

Well, buddy, when you get to be my age, your hauling days taper off quite a bit. But when I was 19 or 20, I felt exactly the same as you.

It's funny, I used to shake my fist at those white-headed old geezers and holler "drive it or park it". Now I'm one of those old geezers and the youngsters are shaking their fists at me because I obey the speed limit. :wink_smile:

• Well, buddy, when you get to be my age, your hauling days taper off quite a bit. But when I was 19 or 20, I felt exactly the same as you.

It's funny, I used to shake my fist at those white-headed old geezers and holler "drive it or park it". Now I'm one of those old geezers and the youngsters are shaking their fists at me because I obey the speed limit. :wink_smile:

Well I'm almost double the ages you posted so I guess I don't have a whole lot of time left to haul ass either.

Stay thirsty my friends.