Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 343,606 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Why, just imagine - the poor little darlings and their parents have been so shielded from reality during their lifetimes that they didn't even realize such a thing as big, bad WAR existed.

Where's Churchill's generation when we need them most?

De gustibus non est disputandum

• well thats what they get for forgetting about what their grandparents went through as children maybe they should have issued them with rationbooks as well and told them that they couldnt have lollies, sugar, fruit like bananas etc, and told them they could only wash in 6 inchs of water. maybe then they would understand what it was like or could be like again

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Stumpy, I have to (respectfully) disagree with you about TB and movies eroding the moral fiber of today's youth.

While it is true that TV and movies go too far quite a lot, the permissive nature of people in general is what drives behavior.

Every generation throughout history has bemoaned the fact that the CURRENT generation has no idea of it's responsibility for future generations, or the sacrifices of PREVIOUS generations for what the freedoms or advances they hold so dearly now.

Wild, outrageous behavior has existed since (quite literally) since the dawn of humanity, and as the Bible says, there's nothing new under the sun - meaning: everything we see today has ALWAYS been going on.

The big difference is the fact that media (in all forms) has made these behaviors readily available for our knowledge of them.

Not excusing behavior, but the current generation of teens isn't the first, nor will they be the last, to engage in activities that shock others. Later in life, the majority of them will say they're regretful of it, while some hold fast to it, in a non-repentant manner.

My grandmother was born in 1908, and spoke of the debauchery of HER generation in their day, and cautioned my dad (a depression kid and WWII Navy vet) and his brother about the need to guard against these behaviors, and he in turn, warned us the same way. We talk to
    our kids about it, because we went through it.

The BIGGEST problem is this: the parents of these kids don't take the bull by the horns and instill respect for themselves, others, sacrifices of older generations, and a healthy dose of common sense about consequences...

I taught school for years, and I've watched it first hand. Yes, the media is responsible for a portion of influence, but PARENTS need to step up and teach their kids the BASICS of human behavior.

Being human, these kids will still act out, sometimes quite badly, but the parents will have acted in good faith...

Again, no disrespect meant to anyone, just my .02

• If I understand you correctly, my friend, you're contending that it's a senseless gesture to try to set a good, moral example for the youngsters to live by and I strongly disagree with that opinion.

I agree with your opinion that it's the primary responsibility of parents to instill proper behavior among offspring but I believe such responsibility extends to the culture in general, including but not limited to movies and television.

You're probably familiar with the old saying "monkey see, monkey do" and if young, impressionable kids are seeing and hearing sexual acts and profanity on TV and in films, you'd better believe they're going to pick up those bad habits.

When I was a first grader in 1944, kids my age would no more have used bad language or engaged in sex-related behavior than we would have thought about jumping over the moon. Nowadays, it's fairly common for first graders to use the f-word or try to cop a feel from one of their classmates and I believe that much of that behavior can be attributed to what they see and hear on TV or in the movies.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Tennesseean.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• Hey Smokey, very pleased to see that one of your fellow Aussies has won the Victoria Cross and lived to tell about it. Especially to tell those two beautiful twins.

• I can certainly live with agreeing to disagree, but please don't put words in my mouth about my post's intention.

I have NO problem with setting examples for "proper" moral behavior, bit it's ridiculous to expect the media to do it, or be FORCED to do it...

As a teacher and former student myself, kids of ANY era don't have to rely on any form of media to entice them into certain behaviors.

Did Cain need any outside influence to kill Abel? No. Did the immoral people of Sodom & Gomorrah have any newsprint or radio waves, or anything else to make them fall into the behavior they delved into? No.

I could go on and on, and while I AGREE with the assertion about media being too aggressive with how it depicts things, it isn't ONLY media that kids are affected by.

What first graders do have personal experience with that try to "cop a feel" from anyone?? Did you hear it from someone, as that's NOT the norm at that age.

Kids who DO engage in that have more than likely sexualized in some way. Meaning: someone has abused them outright, or exposed them to material that's inappropriate for them.

When I was a kid, you had kids that used bad language, but they didn't get it from TV or movies (as it wasn't present then), they heard it from older kids (brothers or sisters, too), and simply mimicked what they were hearing.

My dad was in the first grade in 1931, and he told me that outside the presence of the teacher, HE heard lots of bad words - including the "F" word -coming from other kids.

I taught school for years in 3 different states, including California, and being around kids of ALL ages, and while I did hear it in kids as young as 9 or 10 sometimes (and since I was a good friend of the gym teachers, the kids had to run laps for their entire gym class as punishment), I rarely heard it from kids as young as 6, which is what you're saying is going on.

Yes, media influences, but human behavior is VERY predictable. Kids of ALL ages have been engaging in poor behavior for thousands of years, with or without books, radio, records, movies or TV to influence them.

Even if media influences were non-existent, kids would still engage on sexual behavior (willingly, or by coersion), get drunk, experiment with illegal substances, and rebel against what they think is holding them down.

That doesn't mean I agree with the filth that media gets away with on an ever-increasing scale, but it DOES start at home. If there's no home life, society has to fill the void.

As long as there are different values in our culture (and there has been since the beginning), there will ALWAYS be problems.

I hope this helps...

• Our positions don't diverge that much. I concede that parents bear primary responsibility for inculcating their offspring with moral values and you concede that today's entertainment industry can influence behavior.

• I concur that the media has a lot to answer for, but as you others say, many other factors enter the equation, not the least being parenting. For example, I have seen youngsters out at all hours of the night - where are the parents? When I was growing up, I had to be in bed by 10 p.m. on weeknights, though I was allowed to stay up later on Friday and Saturday nights. It wasn't until my last semester in high school that I was allowed more freedom. And I never thought that my parents were overbearing!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• When you and I were kids, Jay, we (or at least I) had our mouths washed out with soap if we used such mild profanities as hell or damn. It's been all downhill since the Sixties, dammit. :laugh:

• it was great to see him get the medal it just goes to show what they have to put up with and how they think of others, their brothers in arms, when the going gets tough. a fellow unit mate has also be awarded the medal just below the VC because when he noticed that he was getting into hot water he opened fire and took some of the heat of him so that is how he was able to be another live VC medal holder

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• When you and I were kids, Jay, we (or at least I) had our mouths washed out with soap if we used such mild profanities as hell or damn. It's been all downhill since the Sixties, dammit. :laugh:

Jim, I have to tell you a story!

When I was in the ninth grade (in 1957) I had a English Literature class with a teacher who was rather high strung (and demanding - she looked like one of those schoolmarm spinsters).
    Well, the class was reading from a play (probably Shakespeare) with each student taking a line going around the class. She proceeded to say something in front of the class which, since I was in the back, I couldn't really hear.
    When my turn came along, I went ahead and read my line, which included the word "damn." She totally exploded, saying "I told you not to read that word out loud and you completely defied me! - or words to that effect.
    I don't remember what punishment was metted out but I heard later that she went in the hospital for psychiatric evaluation.
    I don't think I came out too badly as a result!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Lately I've been ordering some of my favorite movies from Amazon-UK that are not available in the states, such as Duke's "Barbarian & the Geisha", Spencer Tracy's "Northwest Passage" and Gary Cooper's "Northwest Mounted Police".

The first two I already have on discs that I recorded off TV but I'm hoping the commercially-produced versions will look better. Gary's old Western I've never had though I've been looking for years as I really liked it but haven't seen it even on TV for many, many years.

• I've been holding off buying Northwest Passage on DVD as all the reviews mention the transfer is poor. Interesting to hear your opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/produc…ySubmissionDateDescending

I'll let you know after I get it, Mike. Sure hope the transfer is OK as it's one of my favorite Spencer Tracy films.

Wouldn't that be ironic if the version I recorded off TV is better than the commercially-produced copy?