Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,152 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jim

Two great threads the women are very beautiful and it is well put together.The second series as you say is very clear and gives a good view of the US to a foreigner.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Each week I receive an emailed newsletter from a man in Ardmore, OK who maintains a website called Oklahoma History. The newsletter is nearly always interesting. This week's edition contained a link to another website that had some photos taken around 1900. The clarity of these pictures is absolutely amazing, considering that they're more than a hundred years old.

I've always been an avid student of American history so I enjoyed looking at these pictures very much. I imagine there are others here who also enjoy American history and old pictures.

Fascinating photos for us in the UK as well, thanks Jim,
    perhaps you could start a separate thread, and place these old images there?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I got a kick out of seeing those sailors in their13-button trousers. When I first joined the Navy, way back in 1955, those were the kind of dress uniform trousers we wore. I thought they were very "cool". The coolest thing was my waist size, which in those days was 28 inches. Nowadays its 38 inches. Dammit. :wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• If you're referring to yourself as a "foreigner", Art, you shouldn't. For many years, most Americans' ancestral roots lay in Great Britain. Including my own.

• I would appreciate it very much if one (or more) of my cousins in the UK read the upcoming reviews of this biography and let me know the opinion of it in Great Britain (not by the left-wing press but from truly impartial observers).

As you should be aware, Lady Thatcher was one of my favorite people and I'd tremendously enjoy reading the story of her life.

• Well, today is D-Day. The 1944 day that WW2 allies landed in Normandy and began the process of defeating Hitler's Nazis.

Thanks for this post Jim, and a reminder of this
    one of the most important days in history.

Here are the links to a couple of threads,
    that relate to how our small part of the world

Operation Tiger (D-Day landings rehearsal 1944)
    Torquay, the US 4th Light Infantry and D-Day Landings

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• IMO, British PM Winston S. Churchill was probably the greatest figure in modern world history, primarily due to his essential role in saving us from Nazi domination of the world.

• I would appreciate it very much if one (or more) of my cousins in the UK read the upcoming reviews of this biography and let me know the opinion of it in Great Britain (not by the left-wing press but from truly impartial observers).

As you should be aware, Lady Thatcher was one of my favorite people and I'd tremendously enjoy reading the story of her life.

BTW, British cousins, I bought the biography at a local bookstore the other day so won't need your recommendations.

Just as good, or even better, was my chance discovery of William Manchester's completed biography of "The Last Lion", a trilogy of Sir Winston's life. Manchester died before he could complete the third volume and I had given up hope it would ever be completed. But imagine my happy surprise when I happened to see it in the same bookstore where I bought the first volume of Lady Thatcher's biography. Paid $84. for the two books but I consider it money well spent.