Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 344,142 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If not by design perhaps it represents a part of American culture that goes beyond definition. A name like that could represent more then one thing or person.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Count me amongst that majority mentioned in the second paragraph.

Not only is the country unrecognizable from that envisioned by the Founders but it's also a pale shadow of the place I knew as a kid in the Nineteen Forties and Fifties.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Several years ago, I read a book containing a plot that I found absolutely fascinating. The title was "The Hab Theory" and it was written by an author named Allan W. Eckert. (IMO, the book would make a blockbuster film, if some producer would just go for it.)

The theory concerns the findings and research of a scientist/engineer that about every 50,000 years or so, ice builds up on both the earth's poles to such an extent that it topples our world on its' side, wiping out most of earth's living creatures. Believe me, folks, this is one page-turning book. You won't be able to lay it down.

Anyway, I only had the book in paperback. This past weekend, I was clearing out my bedroom closet and in moving a box of paperbacks to my storage shed, discovered that "The Hab Theory" was in very poor shape. Falling apart, in fact. Since it has always been one of my favorite books, I decided to try and locate a hardback copy in good shape on abebooks and just for the heck of it, decided to research other titles by Eckert.

My research revealed that he's a very proliflic writer, with some 40 books in print. Not only that but that he's written many books on American history that have either won or been nominated for Pulitzer prizes (a prestigious literary award in the U.S.), and that many of his books are used as study guides in American classrooms. Since history has always been one of my favorite subjects, I've ordered 8 or 10 other books by Mr. Eckert from various booksellers on abebooks. I'll let you know if his other books are as good as the first I read ("Hab Theory") I feel pretty confident that they will be.

• I don't know who voted in this poll but I find it incomprehensible that the ending to "True Grit" wasn't included.

In fact, I can think of other Duke film endings that I'd have voted onto the list. "Three Godfathers" should have been on there; "The Quiet Man", "Rio Bravo", and "Big Jake" also come quickly to mind.

• What a bizarre assortment of films, several of them along the lines of the macabre (Se7en and Carrie, for example). I guess I prefer a happy ending, something a little more uplifting. How about the end of An Affair to Remember? Or While You Were Sleeping? Or The Cowboys? Or . . . . SO many from which to choose!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Wonderful! I seem to recall mentioning before that this woman was my second-favorite Britisher, right behind Winnie the Magnificent.

Wonder if she'd be interested in running for Prez? :teeth_smile:

• Ireland grows up rapidly recently.
    The country to which i pay attention is Ireland.
    GDP per capita is 2nd place in EU and 4th place in the world.
    The tendency that the foreign company (DELL,IBM,etc.)
    concentrates on Ireland is seen from can almost people speak English,and the academic level high(education fee is free!),the corporation Tax cheap.
    Ireland is not an already quiet country,i think.

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~