The Life and Legacy of the Duke Showcased in Encore Western's Original Special

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,452 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Celebrate John Wayne's Centennial with the Exclusive Special Presentation, Along with a 100-Hour Movie Marathon Beginning Saturday, May 26

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 15 /PRNewswire/ -- To commemorate what would be his 100th birthday, Encore Westerns presents "100 Years of John Wayne," an original special which premieres as part of "100 Years/100 Hours: The John Wayne Centennial" a 100-hour movie marathon of Wayne's films including The Searchers, Chisum, The War Wagon, Angel and the Badman, Cahill, U.S. Marshal and others. The marathon begins at 12 a.m. (ET/PT) Saturday, May 26.

Often referred to as "the best film cowboy in the world," John Wayne is credited for starring in 172 films and holds the record for most leading roles. "100 Years of John Wayne" is an up close and personal look at Wayne's life, exploring his numerous film appearances, as well as his philanthropic contributions, through interviews with his family and close friends. This special presentation includes comments from actor Andrew Prine, song writer and actor Johnny Western, Dean Smith who worked in 11 Wayne films, Dr. Miles Cabot of the John Wayne Cancer Institute, Paramount Pictures producer A.C. Lyles, and memories from Wayne's children Ethan, Marisa and Patrick and from his widow Pilar."I have no complaints about my childhood," Ethan Wayne says in the special. "When you're a kid, he's just your dad -- he could be doing anything. We just seemed to get a lot more mail than any of my friends."
    Starz Entertainment, LLC, is a premium movie service provider operating in the United States. It offers 16 movie channels including the flagship Starz® and Encore® brands with approximately 15.5 million and 27.3 million subscribers respectively. Starz Entertainment airs more than 1,000 movies per month across its pay TV channels and offers advanced services including Starz HD, Starz On Demand and Vongo(SM). Starz Entertainment (www.starz.com) is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation that is attributed to Liberty Capital Group.

• I listed the movies they are showing here: Encore Westerns Channel

Recently I also saw ads for two more channels that will be having John Wayne Marathons... both AMC and TCM. Not much of a tribute but it's something. Here are their schedules.

AMC
    Sat. May 26th (CDT)
    4:45 AM-----Blood Alley
    7:15 AM-----Sands of Iwo Jima
    9:15 AM-----Santa Fe Stampede
    10:15 AM----Wake of the Red Witch
    12:30 PM----The Shepherd of the Hills
    2:30 PM-----Rio Grande
    4:30 PM-----North to Alaska
    7:00 PM-----The Quiet Man
    9:30 PM-----Hellfighters

Sun. May 27th (CDT)
    12:00 AM----McQ
    2:30 AM-----The Green Berets
    10:30 AM----Flying Leathernecks

TCM
    They are starting on May 21st with various movies each day through May 26th. You can check the site for times but here is the movie listing.
    Turner Classic Movies
    They are all only being shown once, unlike Encore Westerns schedule.

3 Godfathers (1948)
    Alamo (1960)
    Allegheny Uprising (1939)
    Angel And The Badman (1947)
    Back To Bataan (1945)
    Big Jake (1971)
    Big Jim McLain (1952)
    Brannigan (1975)
    Cowboys (1972)
    Dark Command (1940)
    Directed By John Ford (2006) Documentary
    El Dorado (1967)
    Fighting Seabees (1944)
    Flying Tigers (1942)
    Fort Apache (1948)
    Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
    High and the Mighty (1954)
    Hondo (1954)
    Horse Soldiers (1959)
    How the West Was Won (1962)
    In Harm's Way (1965)
    Island In The Sky (1953)
    Long Voyage Home (1940)
    Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
    McLintock! (1963)
    Red River (1948)
    Reunion In France (1942)
    Rio Lobo (1970)
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)
    Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
    Spoilers (1942)
    Stagecoach (1939)
    Tall In The Saddle (1944)
    They Were Expendable (1945)
    Trouble Along the Way (1953)
    Wings Of Eagles (1957)
    Without Reservations (1946)

What a weekend of John Wayne... everyone is joining in.

• I've gotta get the Tivo cleared off!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Tbone, I feel your pain. I have been cleaning off my DVR the past week. Putting what I want on DVD and deleting the rest. I was down to 3 hrs., but I'm up to 50 now. Starting Monday night, my DVR will be working overtime.

Stay thirsty my friends.