"Westworld" remake

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,130 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 12:00 AM, 07-JUNE-07 Ray Talks Westworld Remake Writer/director Billy Ray told SCI FI Wire that he's currently writing the script for a new version of the SF film Westworld for Warner Brothers, but added that he may not direct it. "There is no director attached," Ray (Shattered Glass) said in an e-mail interview to promote the DVD of his film Breach. "I would resist the idea of directing it myself, not that they've offered it to me, because I don't want the pressure of that kind of a budget sitting on my shoulders."

Michael Crichton wrote and directed the original film, which was released in 1973 and starred Yul Brynner, Richard Benjamin and James Brolin. The futuristic drama cast Benjamin and Brolin as visitors to an amusement park where visitors can play out entertainment fantasies with the help of virtual reality and robots. The trouble starts when the robots begin to fight back.

"I love the basic idea of the movie, which is that our amusements can kill us," Ray said. "I also think the movie provides a great platform for exploring how sometimes machines can behave like humans while humans can sometimes behave like machines."

Ray said he'd love to speak with Crichton at some point. "My understanding is that he was offered the chance to do the first draft of this remake a few years ago, and his response was, 'I already remade that movie; the remake was called Jurassic Park,'" Ray said. "In many ways, he was right." —

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Didn't like the first one. So this is just a waste of time in my opinion to remake it. Might be a sci-fi junkie's dream come true, but no interest to me.

A shame that Yul Brenner did this terrible movie back when it was done,

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'm sorry you didn't like it, Hondo. You're one of the few people I heard say that. I enjoyed it and would probably go see a remake if it is done. I havn't seen this movie in a few years, but have seen it several times before.

I think Yul did a great job. He was relenting in his pursuit and scared the heck out of me when I was younger and watching this flic for the first time. :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The original was a small movie which hit big because it was so different.

Admittedly, with bigger budget and better special effects it has the potential to be a better movie but dont be surprised if they make mess of it like War of the Worlds were you had no connection to the characters and could not care less about them.

Mike

• The original movie has become something of a cult flick. Lots of recognizible character actors appeared in this.
    I imagine special effects today would enhance the story, but they did pretty good with what they had back then.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay

When you consider the original movie is coming upto 35 year old. One of Crichton's first movies.

As long as they dont let Spielberg play with remake they should be okay.

Mike

• I'll consider watching a remake as long as it has none of the following in it:

tim robbins
    sean penn
    tom cruise
    george cLOONEY

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I guess I enjoyed the "concept" but the film was just to 70's if you know what I mean. Alot of the movies during the 70's were just to "far out there", if you know what I mean. Lots of bad/wierd music and stupid camera angles, stuff like that.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I guess I enjoyed the "concept" but the film was just to 70's if you know what I mean. Alot of the movies during the 70's were just to "far out there", if you know what I mean. Lots of bad/wierd music and stupid camera angles, stuff like that.

Hey Todd,

Are you saying that these people were on LSD? :ohmy: You may have a good point. :wink_smile:

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'll consider watching a remake as long as it has none of the following in it:

tim robbins
    sean penn
    tom cruise
    george cLOONEY

Just curious, Ringo. Do you not like these actors or do you not like their Politics? I know I hate listening to these people when they take the stump, but as actors...I must say I enjoy them all. I can seperate them from on-screen and off-screen (hate off-screen but love on-screen). Like I said, just curious :teeth_smile:

Mark

• Clooney I cant just take too. Tim Robbins the only movie I remember him being in was the prison one that went on and on and on forever. Sean Penn wasn't he Mr Madonna Mark 1 or something?

Tom Cruise he knows how to work a crowd and he has made some decent movies made some crap ones too but that cult he is linked up to well he must have more money than sense or he has left his brain out in the sun.

Mike

• Just curious, Ringo. Do you not like these actors or do you not like their Politics? I know I hate listening to these people when they take the stump, but as actors...I must say I enjoy them all. I can seperate them from on-screen and off-screen (hate off-screen but love on-screen). Like I said, just curious :teeth_smile:

Mark

Hi Mark, it's kinda complex but, here goes it. I too can seperate them from the acting and the politics but, I aint wastin' my time and they aint worth the effort.

I just flat out, don't like tim robbins and his politics. The two movies I know I have seen with him in them, I was not impressed with his acting and one of the two movies was lousy (bull durham).

sean penn is a good actor--I can't stand his politics--same with martin sheen.

tom cruise aint that good of an actor and has totally freaked out. I do not know what his politics are and do not want to know.

I totally can't stand george cLOONEY, nor his politics, not his acting--which is not very good IMO, AND, this jerk needs to make a public apology to Charlton Heston, for mocking him about his having Alzheimers Disease. Also, I find Charlton Heston a way better actor who also looks way better than cLOONEY could ever hope to pay for as well as has class - while cLOONEY has no class.

Sorry if I sould a bit gruff in my explanation--it is not meant. ;-))

Best regards--C.

PS, you can add a few other hollywood dopes to this growing list of those I can't stand--such as chevy chase & charlie sheen.

• Thanks for clarifying that for me, Ringo. I didn't take you as being gruff. We all have our opinions and are free to say them here. I feel the same about Tim Robins (but I did like him in Shawshank Redemption and Mystic River). I thing Sean Penn is a very good actor and I like alot of his movies. Tom Cruise? I think he's been good in a few and lousy in others, so I'm on the fence about him. But...sorry to say, I guess I am kind of alone in the fact that I like Clooney as an actor. I had forgot about that stuff with Heston. That just shows he has no class. I hate him off screen and turn him off when he gets to preaching, but I like him on screen. Not everything he is in, mind you, but most.

Mark

• Hi Mike, thanks for this--i'll be laughing for awhile. :thumbs_up: :teeth_smile:

Hi Mark, glad I did not ruffle any feathers. To me, its just plain a turn off to hear actors try to tell me what I should believe in. The only two I really dislike of the four I mentioned are; cLOONEY and robbins. I can't stand that chick robbins is with as well. As for the others, I just can't stand their shoving their beliefs down my throat and I feel they should just shut their mouths.

I wonder is we should label these actors as "Good Actors Gone Bad?" -- after the "Girls Gone Wild" thing. ;-))