Anyone here watching Le Tour de France races?

There are 141 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,062 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If so, who do you think will win? Also, who in this years race is your favorite?

I think there is a very good chance for Vinikourov, or Cadel Evans to win. Levi Leipheimer has also been doing pretty well this year as well as Michael Rasmussen.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• If so, who do you think will win? Also, who in this years race is your favorite?
    I think there is a very good chance for Vinikourov, or Cadel Evans to win. Levi Leipheimer has also been doing pretty well this year as well as Michael Rasmussen.

I've been keeping up with the Tour, Carl. It looks like Vinikourov has fallen back in today's stage in the Pyrenees (my spelling may be off - I'm flying by the seat of my pants here) so he may be out of it even though he made a big comeback in the time trials yesterday. I've been rooting for George Hincape, but he really hasn't made any moves. I think Rasmussen will be the overall Tour winner - he seems to have a lot of strength and has consistently worn the yellow jersey.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• I think that Rasmussen has a good chance to win this year.I've always liked George Hincapie but he's not in the top 10 so far this year so that's a pity.The green jersey has to go to Tom Boonen (you go Tom!) so as a Belgian I must say he's my favourite although he will not win the Tour but I just like him:wub:

www.tomboonen.com

• Looks like Vinokourov won Stage 15 today! Wow! This guy just won't quit. He might have a chance afterall. In the meantime, Rasmussen still holds on to the Yellow Jersey.
    The Tour de France found my interest during Lance Armstrong's heyday, and still does today, I must say.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I've been keeping up with the Tour, Carl. It looks like Vinikourov has fallen back in today's stage in the Pyrenees (my spelling may be off - I'm flying by the seat of my pants here) so he may be out of it even though he made a big comeback in the time trials yesterday. I've been rooting for George Hincape, but he really hasn't made any moves. I think Rasmussen will be the overall Tour winner - he seems to have a lot of strength and has consistently worn the yellow jersey.

Hi Jay, thanks for this. I have tried to watch every stage but mainly only get to see about half of most of them. Vinokourov is a tough racer. Did you see that look of determination on his face a few days ago-when he won? Im surprised he was still racing after that big pile-up from several days ago. I like Hincapie as well as Rasmussen--both are great athletes. I too feel that Rasmussen will win this year.

• Looks like Vinokourov won Stage 15 today! Wow! This guy just won't quit. He might have a chance afterall. In the meantime, Rasmussen still holds on to the Yellow Jersey.
    The Tour de France found my interest during Lance Armstrong's heyday, and still does today, I must say.

Vinokourov is a great racer. I will almost bet that he wins next year-if he does not this year.

I too first got interested in the race when Lance was racing. My interest picked up aftre watching last years race with Floyd Landis. BTW, he owns about 600 acres of land in the hill country. He was trying to be neighborly with all the people around him but, they ruined that.

• Vinokourov won Stage 15 with a vengeance!!! Awesome! But Rasmussen is holding on to the Yellow Jersey by a couple of minutes. This guy is a great mountain rider - surprising since he comes from Denmark which has no mountains to be seen anywhere.
    Since today is a rest day, there won't be any action - tomorrow, one more mountain stage. Aren't the Pyrenees beautiful?

"Not hardly!!!"

• There's a lot about Rasmussen in our newspapers.They want him out of this tour because he has been training somewhere and don't want to say where which is an absolute must know.Also things have happend (something he said I believe) and the frensh citizens can eat him raw.I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about.There's always something going on with the Tour.One way or another I think Rasmussen is doing a great tour and I wouldn't mind one bit if he won.Have to wait untill sunday to see if he does.Unfortunately I am at a party at my brother's.With some chance it's raining (I know,I know!) and we will be stuck in the house and he might put the tv on.We are all bike racing fanats in this family I have to admit so there's a good chance he does that anyway.

• Vinokourov tested positive after saturday's etappe.What is it lately with all of them taking drugs?Apparently he must have had a bloodtransfusion just before saturday's etappe.As a result he is out now but also his whole team and that is just sad that for one man they all must pay...Well Tom Boonen is still in the green jersey so no complaints from me :wink_smile:

• Vinokourov tested positive after saturday's etappe.What is it lately with all of them taking drugs?Apparently he must have had a bloodtransfusion just before saturday's etappe.As a result he is out now but also his whole team and that is just sad that for one man they all must pay...Well Tom Boonen is still in the green jersey so no complaints from me :wink_smile:

I heard that he tested positive. Also a 2nd has tested positive--I think he is a French rider. Will know more tomorrow.

Its a darn shame that thie race cannot be a totally honest one.

Also, did you all hear that some Spanish Terrorists exploded two small bombs somewhere on the Spanish route. :glare:

• Well doping or not it is still my favourite sport to watch.These men do an outstanding job day after day.You go and do it!Drive every day some 150 kms with a couple of cols.I like riding my bike but after 50 km I have had it! :shades_smile: Not too mention that Flanders is a very flat country and I do not need to climb hills.Has anyone ever heard or seen Paris-Roubaix??Now that is a very special race to watch.

• I only really started getting into the race about 2 years ago. All the controversies aside, I agree with you, they are some great athletes.

The longest ride I ever took was on flat land from Kingsville to Corpus Christi. Round trip is about 90 miles. I had to face a pretty stiff sea breeze all the way and it was fairly difficult but I make it and really did not feel very tired. I then spent a few hours riding from one place to another and then stopped at a comicbook store-bought about 150 comics--and had to ride with that box on my handlebars all the way back home. Fortunately, a good portion of my way back, I had the winds helping push me there. I was gone for about 12 hrs total. Total time between Kingsville to Corpus Christi and back was about 5 hours.

• Haha I'm glad I didn't come with you then.Often I do my shopping with my bike and I always end up buying too much stuff so that my bike is packed like a mule:stunned: and too know that I do have a car at home :teeth_smile: My bike is still my favourite transport if I don't go and have to ride hours on end :wink_smile:

But back to the Tour,I didn't see much today as I was out most of the day but I'll make sure to see some more before it ends on sunday.September gives us the Vuelta.Do you get to see that in the States aswell or is it just the Tour you get??

• Rasmussen is out because he didn't follow procedures. His own team disqualified him because, as I understand, he was supposed to be in Mexico (his wife's home), but instead he was seen practicing in the Dolomites in Italy at the time in question and not available for drug testing when he should have been (apparently being in Mexico was a legitimate excuse, but being in Europe he should have made himself available).
    Vinokurov had a blood transfusion which supposedly made better ability for his body to be oxygenated. That was a definite no-no!!!!:headbonk: :headbonk: .
    Despite all the negative publicity, I'm still following the Tour with great enthusiasm and now rooting for our guys on the Discovery team.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Haha I'm glad I didn't come with you then.Often I do my shopping with my bike and I always end up buying too much stuff so that my bike is packed like a mule:stunned: and too know that I do have a car at home :teeth_smile: My bike is still my favourite transport if I don't go and have to ride hours on end :wink_smile:

But back to the Tour,I didn't see much today as I was out most of the day but I'll make sure to see some more before it ends on sunday.September gives us the Vuelta.Do you get to see that in the States aswell or is it just the Tour you get??

Not sure why my last post did not post but ill try again.

I used to load up my bike like you did--thinking people looked at me like I was a Mule-Skiner or something.

Not sure if we are going to get that other race shown here or not? I don't recall seeing it advertised on the VS channel.

• Rasmussen is out because he didn't follow procedures. His own team disqualified him because, as I understand, he was supposed to be in Mexico (his wife's home), but istead he was seen practicing in the Dolomites in Italy at the time in question and not available for drug testing when he should have been (apparently being in Mexico was a legitimate excuse, but being in Europe he should have made himself available).
    Vinokurov had a blood transfusion which supposedly made better ability for his body to be oxygenated. That was a definite no-no!!!!:headbonk: :headbonk: .
    Despite all the negative publicity, I'm still following the Tour with great enthusiasm and now rooting for our guys on the Discovery team.

Aw man, I am disappointed that Rasmussen is now out. Looks like that younger rider from Columbia might take the race--or Cadel Evans or (but not likely) Levi Leipheimer. I sure hope Levi gets his act together. Time is begenning to run out for him racing in the tour.

It would be nice to see the Discovery team get two people on the stand.

• It looks like the French people are not deterred. Still plenty of crowds along the routes.
    I was rooting for Rasmussen too, but now I'll focus on the Discovery Teams two leaders, especially Levi (I think this is the same team Lance Armstrong was on the last few years he won the Tour - my memory isn't too swift these days).

"Not hardly!!!"

• Well - it looks like a race to Paris with the top three cyclists - Contador, Evans and Leipheimer! :wink_smile: They are only seconds apart while the rest are several minutes behind at the closest. This could really be a dustup approaching the finish, which will be tomorrow.
    BOY! Levi left everybody in the dust in the time trials today!:thumbs_up:

"Not hardly!!!"