Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 143,361 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is considered a college football paradise. We have so many games on that we can't keep up, but here we go with some on them that were played yesterday, and those being played today.

December 31, 2008
    Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl
    Houston 34 / Air Force 28
    Sun Bowl
    Oregon State 3 / Pittsburgh 0
    Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl
    Vanderbilt 16 / Boston College 14
    Insight Bowl
    Kansas 42 / Minnesota 21
    Chick-Fil-A Bowl
    LSU 38 / Georgia Tech 3

January 1, 2009
    Outback Bowl
    South Carolina/Iowa
    Capital One Bowl
    Georgia/Michigan State
    Gator Bowl
    Nebraska/ Clemson
    The Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi
    Penn State/USC
    FedEX Orange Bowl
    Cincinnati/Virginai Tech

January 2, 2009
    Cotton Bowl
    Mississippi/Texas Tech
    Auto Zone Liberty Bowl
    Kentucky/East Carolina
    AllState Sugar Bowl
    Utah/Alabama

January 3, 2009
    International Bowl
    Buffalo/Connectiut

January 5, 2009
    Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
    Ohio State/Texas

January 6, 2009
    GMAC Bowl
    Ball State/Tulsa

Januray 8. 2009
    FedEx BSC Championship Game
    Florida/Oklahoma

By my count, the SEC is 2-0 in bowl wins at this point.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Here is the totals for this day. Some very good games and some not so good.

January 1, 2009
    Outback Bowl

Iowa 31 / South Carolina 10

Capital One Bowl
    Georgia 24 / Michigan State 12

Gator Bowl
    Nebraska 26 / Clemson 21

The Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi
    USC 34 / Penn State 24

FedEX Orange Bowl
    Virginai Tech 20 / Cincinnati 7

Three more games tomorrow.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• NFL

Week #1 Playoff

Philadelphia 26 / Minnesota 14
    Baltimore 27 / Miami 9
    Arizona 30 / Altanta 24
    San Diego 23 / Indianapolis 17

Week #2 Playoff

January 10/11, 2009

Saturday: Baltimore at Tennessee, (4:30 p.m. ET, CBS)
    Saturday: Arizona at Carolina, (8:15 p.m. ET, Fox)

Sunday: Philadelphia at New York Giants, (1 p.m. ET, Fox)
    Sunday: San Diego at Pittsburgh (4:45 p.m. ET, CBS)

The Saturday games were a lot better, but the Eagles/Vikings game was a good one too, Sunday.

- John Wayne quote

• College Football

Friday, January 2, 2009
    Cotton Bowl
    Ole Miss 47 / Texas Tech 34

Auto Zone Liberty Bowl
    Kentucky 25 / East Carolina 19

All State Sugar Bowl
    Utah 31 / Alabama 17

Saturday, January 3, 2009
    International Bowl
    Connecticut 38 / Buffalo 20

The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl is tomorrow night with the Texas Longhorns and the Ohio State Buckeyes @ 8 pm eastern on FOX.

- John Wayne quote

• Don't bring up the Queens. I don't know why I punish myself watching these worthless idiots. It could be worse, I could be a Detroit fan. But, you just know they are not going anywhere so why try, just give it up and get a better draft position and wait till next year.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Don't bring up the Queens. I don't know why I punish myself watching these worthless idiots. It could be worse, I could be a Detroit fan. But, you just know they are not going anywhere so why try, just give it up and get a better draft position and wait till next year.

Vipe,
    I don't understand. Could you explain what the Queens is?

- John Wayne quote

• My Ravens are still alive! :hyper:

Can anyone please explain to me how Joe Flacco, who lead the Ravens (who were 5 - 11 last year) to an 11-5 regular season record in his rookie year, didn't get any votes for Rookie of the Year? And I mean NONE! Not one vote. And he just became the first rookie to ever win an away playoff game. I understand that Matt Ryan had a great rookie campaign also, but to receive NO votes at all? Mystifying!

GO RAVENS!!!

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Just an update that on Monday, the Texas Longhorns beat the Ohio State Buckeyes 24-21 and the Longhorns scored the winning touchdown with 16 seconds left. What a game!

- John Wayne quote

• My Ravens are still alive! :hyper:

Can anyone please explain to me how Joe Flacco, who lead the Ravens (who were 5 - 11 last year) to an 11-5 regular season record in his rookie year, didn't get any votes for Rookie of the Year? And I mean NONE! Not one vote. And he just became the first rookie to ever win an away playoff game. I understand that Matt Ryan had a great rookie campaign also, but to receive NO votes at all? Mystifying!

GO RAVENS!!!

So much football right now...dukefan, I cannot answer your question, but I did follow both QB's this year and as far as I am concerned Matt and Joe should have gotten equal votes....even though I am kindly partial to Mr. Ryan :wink_smile:

Needless to say....both the QB and RB from my dawgs will be going pro next year so where does that leave my college team? On another note...I'm especially proud of by Falcons this year and here's looking forward to an excellent 2010.

Now, on to the next game on my agenda.... the national championship game is tonight and as much as I hate Florida, I just gotta cheer for the SEC so I'll be doing that Gator clap tonight. And for any Oklahoma fans here, I heard a sports reporter out of Dallas earlier (who is for the Sooners) sing an old Grass Roots tune which goes....Sooners over Gators we're gonna getcha....

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi, gt - though I am a Big 12 advocate, I feel Texas should be here in the BCS Championship game, not Oklahoma, which I am watching at the end of the first quarter, therefore I'm rooting for Florida.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Well Jay I guess you rooting for Florida paid off. The Gators Won 24-14 in what was a really good game. I guess the SEC is on top again. The Sooners played a good game, nothing to be ashamed of by any means.

Let's see the Tigers (Auburn) go all the way next season. War Eagle!

- John Wayne quote

• A day of upsets.

Baltimore 13 / Tennessee 10 - AFC
    Airzona 33 / Carolina 13 - NFC

My Titans couldn't pull it off, but they were their own worse enemy today with tunrovers, and penalities. Can't win with that many mistakes in a game. Let's see about tomorrow with the Eagles/Giants and Steelers/Chargers.

- John Wayne quote

• Sorry, Hondo, but I am happy that your Titans had an "off" day. My Ravens appreciated that. I have to admit, I can't believe that the Ravens won with the way the Titans kept charging down the field. But the turnovers killed them. Our defence bent, but wouldn't break! And Flacco did just enough to keep the Ravens in the game and get the win. The first Rookie to win 2 playoff games ever.

Now, do I root for the Steelers or the Chargers tomorrow? Hmmmm

Oh, and my wife grew up in Delaware, so she is a big Eagles fan, so tomorrow will be a big day for her. The Giant's - Eagles games are always played hard and tight. So, for my wife's sake......GO EAGLES!

Mark

• Mark,

All I can say is congratulations on the victory. Better pick up the pace or the Steelers or Chargers will send you home for the season. As for the other game, I guess I'll have to cheer for the Manning boy since he came from the south.

Go Giants. That's kinda hard to say since I am a Dodger fan and we hate the Giants even if it is football.

- John Wayne quote

• Hi, gt - though I am a Big 12 advocate, I feel Texas should be here in the BCS Championship game, not Oklahoma, which I am watching at the end of the first quarter, therefore I'm rooting for Florida.

That's why there should be a playoff system somehow, someway in college football. Last year, I don't think any college team could have topped my Dawgs, but that's how the college games are played.

Dukefan1, that's gonna be a very interesting game this weekend between the Ravens and the Steelers and no offense, but it seems like Pittsburgh has Baltimores number when it comes to playoff games. But I will cheer for the rookie QB as I have done all year ala Atlanta.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Thanks, gt. They're gonna need all they got left to give the Steelers a game. But I got a feeling they might pull an upset. If you remember, both matchups during the season were very, very close. Either way, I am proud of the job they did. It's been a fun and enjoyable season so far.

Mark

• I forgot about Sunday, but we are seeing the Steelers at home against the Ravens this Sunday, and the Eagles going to the Cardinals on Sunday as well. Could be a Pennsylvania Super Bowl in Tampa. Last weekend almost say an underdog weekend here, but the Steelers did prevail.

Looks like Tebow is going another year in college and commited to seeing his Gators take another BCS Championship.

- John Wayne quote

• What a game! The Arizona Cardinals just won the NFC championship against the Eagles 32-25. This was a great game, and the Cardinals deserve to be at the Super Bowl in Tampa. Congratulations Arizona!

- John Wayne quote