There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,697 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• To be honest Mike I doubt if many people under the age of 30 know who John Wayne was. Last year I was speaking to some teenage girls and they had absolutely no idea who I meant when I mentioned his name. My own best friend at school had never heard of him until we watched "The Searchers" one Christmas.

Cole,

Come on over to the US for a visit, I think you will find it different over here.

Chester :newyear:

• From European point of view, I say that most people know the name John Wayne and associate it with westerns first, and second conservative politics. Many younger ones may not have seen his films, but personally I have never met a European who wouldn't have recognised the name. Only one I know who hadn't heard of him before is a Chinese friend of mine, who knows very few actors from western countries in general

I don't believe in surrenders.

• C.T. So you are from England? That to Bad we have some Mighty Good John Wayne Fans from England here on This Duke Web-Site !
    :teeth_smile:
    Most of the Young People Here in the U.S. know who John Wayne is and like to say "Who Do You Think You Are John Wayne?"
    :hyper:

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• To be honest Mike I doubt if many people under the age of 30 know who John Wayne was. Last year I was speaking to some teenage girls and they had absolutely no idea who I meant when I mentioned his name. My own best friend at school had never heard of him until we watched "The Searchers" one Christmas.

There's one thing wrong in what you said here. That being that you asked your question to some teenaged girls. I don't know if gils are the same world-wide but, here, if you asked teens about Duke or his movies, you'd be lucky not to get a blank stare back from them. Here, they are more interested in yakking on their cellphones and wondering who is going to take them to the Prom. Rare exceptions to that and you will find a Girl whose Parents actually spent some quality time in raising them instead of letting the radio, become their surrogate parents.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

I have followed this topic with some interest. My daughter is a teacher, teaching pupils with a varied reading age.

Recently she did a topic on the western and asked me for some DVDs to take in to school. I gave her The Searchers and Chisum. She only played a segment of the Searchers (the fight with the Commanches by the river). The kids thought it brilliant and many of them knew who John Wayne was.

Interestingly when she asked who were the goodies and who were the baddies there was a silence from the class not because they didn't know but it was politically incorrect to mention the indians as baddies.

On slightly the same subject talking to a girl aged 27 who I work with, when I asked her if she had ever seen a silent picture she looked at me in amazement and said how can you have a film with no talking and was serious.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• An unrelated comment using quotes from Big Jake that does relate to trolls.

Big Jake McC: "Michael, how do you get Roaches out of the woodwork?"

Michael McCandles: "Smoke 'em out."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• One of the previous posters mentioned a Gable-Tracy movie. That would've been Boomtown. About a couple of wildcatters who form a partnership to find oil. It follows them as they make fortunes, lose them and romance Claudette Colbert and Hedy(not Hedley) Lamar. Very good movie. A few other Gable movies with a western theme are Honky Tonk with Lana Turner, Lone Star with Broderick Crawford and, The Painted Desert with Bill Boyd.