There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,263 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This topic is way off and I must project that you need to get back on subject with Shenandoah or I will remove this topic. This is not a subject of stars and anti-war movies. I know that Cole started this topic with this movie being an anti-war picture, but you must stay on topic.

My only warning.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• meanwhile back at the ranch.i think shenandoah is andrew mclaglen best film. with very fine acting and realistic story line.the scene with the two armies trying to get the cow to their side is something that could have really taken place.off topic but back on topic.:teeth_smile:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Yea, that was a great scene. The battle scenes were well done too. The one where the Boy, and his friend witnessed at the beginning of the movie was also one that was very believable. I think it's about time to dig this one out of one of my boxes of DvD;s and watch it again.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• ringo

dig it out and give it another airing, one of the sences that i like it the one when they go into the house and the father makes up the room for the newly weds, very touching. another one is near the end when he tells the lad on the bridge that he wants him to live and he hopes that he has a long live after the lad has shot his son.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey, dug it out Sunday morning and watched it again. I think this is one of Stewart's finest movies. The scenes you mentioned were great scenes. The married guy was Doug McClure-one of my favorite TV Stars. It's a shame he died so young.

• How about that for a coincidence, Shenandoah was also being shown on Encore Westerns Sunday as well and I concur with Ringo as I also think that it was one of Stewart's better Westerns...or just one of Stewart's better movies.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I happen to like this movie myself, and didn't see any hidden message except the fact that we as a nation can choose what we want to in life. Sticking with what you believe can be difficult and maybe impossible. But it is your life.

I liked what Stewart represented in this movie, and that was the choice of not being a part of the war. Even his children disagreed with the father, but they respected him for it. It kind of goes with today. We may agree or disagree with this war we are in, but we are free to do so.

Where this is lost is the fact that there are some on both sides want to push their views on this and personally attack their beliefs on that. (ot)

Sorry, I like Stewart's strength of character, and the independence of his children. He respects his children (all of them), and listens to them. He doesn't dictate but proposes questions for them to figure out for themselves.

A great movie for all to see and one that is available on VHS and DVD.

Cheers :cool:

P.S. The boy is played by Phillip Alford, the same person who played in my favorite movie, To Kill A Monkingbird.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well said Mike. I agree with you that this is an all-around good movie. This movie is one that could also easily be watched during Christmas.

• Patching gaps in my western education: interesting movie, Shenandoah, in spite of being clumsy mainly due to McLaglen´s inadequate skills as a director and especially actors´ director.
    I see it clearly as an anti-war movie (and anti-racist) - the speach Stewart's character makes at his wife's grave in the end sums it up - but not blatantly so; the story sets many more questions than gives answers and that is usually a good thing, that a film makes one think still the next day and week after seeing it. Shenandoah doesn't even give a straight answer to the question whether some things are worth fighting for - the family's riding out for vengeance is not in vain, but for the family it brings more grief.
    There are also questions about independence, neutrality and loyalities that could be understood meaning not only one family but countries in war-situation.

I don't believe in surrenders.