Don't ya just love it when..............

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,072 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Don't ya just love it when you find one or two items that you ahve been wanting and or looking for, for many years but the prices have always been out of reach. Well, I have found two items in the past 2 weeks that fall into this catagory.

My first item is a long since OOP title called: "Hitler's Legions" written by: Samuel Mitcham. All this book is about is basically telling you about the German Armed Forces and how they were made up, in WWII. This is a sort of an: Order of Battle, type book and is the kind I needed for my research on the fighting in Europe in WWII. This book is considered: the Bible, of such books. The only other book "out there" that I know of this is like this one is another long since OOP title called: The German Order of Battle, (as of) June 1944-and was originally published by Allied Intelligence.

Anyway, my point dealing with Mitcham's book is that I not only got a 1st edition in hardback and w/ dust jacket, in very fine to near mint condition, but that I got it for about $30.00. I see these regualarly for sale at over $300.00. Same goes for that 2nd title as well. Got mine for $30.00.

The second item I want to rant about is a movie that I have not seen for about 20 years and that is not available over here and is only in region 2, which is: Dunkirk, w/ Sir John Mills. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Im getting this for $30.00 including shipping.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Congratulations, Ringo. I know that feeling well. It's like Christmas all over again, ain't it? :teeth_smile: Enjoy your books and movie.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• rich one granny glad to see good things come to those who wait. have fun ringo watching and reading, i think you will be tied up for a while hehe

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Happy to hear that Ringo. The on thing that I love is (and this actually happened) is when cold weather arrives and you break out last year's coat and in the pocket is a ten dollar bill :hyper: ! Didn't make me rich, but it did brighten up my day a bit.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• gt i found $90 hidden in the plain flour once had put it there to pay the rent then forgot where i put it lucky the landlord was ok about it and let me pay it the next week, found it when we were moving and it paid for the carpets to be cleaned. i have a bad habit of putting things somewhere safe then forgetting where i put it, having a senior moment:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

• Thanks Mark, Emmanuel, Smokey, GT, ;-))

Mark, you got that right. It does feel lick Christmas. I can hardly put the book down and when the movie arrives, I know im going to have a great time watching it. Sir John Mills was such a great actor.

Emmanuel, thank you sir ;-)) I will be kept busy for quite a few months to come (bookwise)

Thank you Smokey ;-))

GT, thank you as well. And yup, I too have been lucky to find money in strange places. I used to have a vast paperback book collection and I had the ""bad"" habit of using money as book-markers. One time when I needed a large amount for something important, I happened to be pulling a book off the shelf and another book fell out spilling a $100.00 bill-that I did not and still do not, remember placing it one there. I used to find $20's $5.00's etc from time to time.

• You have a region free DVD player Carl?

I am not sure you will be able to play the movie without having one of those if the movie is region 2.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• gt i found $90 hidden in the plain flour once had put it there to pay the rent then forgot where i put it lucky the landlord was ok about it and let me pay it the next week, found it when we were moving and it paid for the carpets to be cleaned. i have a bad habit of putting things somewhere safe then forgetting where i put it, having a senior moment:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

HI Smokey, here's what I do. I'll put something somewhere where I'll KNOW where it is the next time I need it and you can guess what usually happens.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• You have a region free DVD player Carl?

I am not sure you will be able to play the movie without having one of those if the movie is region 2.

Hi Todd, im not sure if it is region free or region 1 player. It doesn't matter though, because a friend of mine is burning a copy for me and he said the copy will be region 0. Im just greatful that I now have that movie-rather-when the mailman delivers it.

I also have a portable dvd player that plays a few things that my non-portable will not play. I was even able to use the portable to look at a CD/DvD copy of a good friend of mine's wedding from several years ago as well as something I picked up from ebay-about 10 years ago, that has copies of the covers to old and rare Superman, Batman and I think Blackhawk covers.

• gt

its like christmas when you find what you put away in that safe place, you seem to always find it when your not looking for it, as i buy my families presents for christmas (this starts straight after boxing day) i put them away safe as well forget to put them in the book then find them later and they end up with more than i thought they would have oh well am learning to put it all in a book as long as i dont put that somewhere safe:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

• Smokey, im like you, I start buying gifts early on in the year. I can't stand those long lines waiting for a register and also hate the traffic. THE worst place in Corpus Christi to get cought in a traffic jam is, on the access road leading to Everhart Street. Once your past that, it's smoothe sailing.

• ringo

it is good to start early in some ways but not in others because if they are like my little bloke they change their minds at the last minute, he now wants a basketball hoop for his big present. looks like he will have to wait till later as i only have a few gifts to get and as they are gift cards it wont be hard, can buy them from work :teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

• Hi Smokey, I know exactly what you mean. About 12 years ago, I started collecting "12" inch long firgres for my Nephews. In all, I collected about 35 of them. Well, I wanted to make a "big splach" for Christmas one year and was going to give them each two boxes full of these things. Well, would ya know it, by the time I had what I thought was the right amount of these things to give, none of them were interested in them as they had grown into other things.

Heh heh, now my two youngest Nephews are married and one of them has two baby girls. Boy I feel old now.

• ringo

you are only as old as you feel on any day some times it can be 100 but others just a kid, i was going to say something else but as this is a family site i decided not to.hehe
    did you keep the collections you never know thay might be worth something now being that your nephews are "old married men" now

cheers smokey

• ringo

you are only as old as you feel on any day some times it can be 100 but others just a kid, i was going to say something else but as this is a family site i decided not to.hehe
    did you keep the collections you never know thay might be worth something now being that your nephews are "old married men" now

cheers smokey

Smokey, heh heh, you can always PM me what you were thinking :D

As for feeling old though, I do have arthritis in my knees and elbows caused by a bad car wreck in 1992. I was only 25 at the time. :yeaahh:

Well, I decided to keep most of the WWII - related figures except for 4 of them. I recently met a lady from North Carolina who is having a bad year. She did a favor for me and I was glad to be able to in a way, to pay her back. Anyway, this lady has two young sons and she is not married and is struggling to pay rent. Well, she told me she could not afford to buy her sons anything for Christmas this year. Well, since my figurines did not sell, I asked her if it would be OK to send her a box of these to her kids. To make a long story short, her kids will have two each to open by themselves as well as an extra to open together.

Sorry if it seems like im bragging, it was not meant. However, I do get a "charge" out of doing things like this. :teeth_smile: I was lucky in my younger years to have many good Christmas's, and I guess now was the time to give back some-so I did.

On the rest of the figurines I have that I don't want to keep, i'd still like to sell those if I can ever find someone to buy them? A little extra cahsh for the Holidays would be nice. :wink_smile:

• ringo

its not bragging to do something nice for someone, it takes a bigger person to help others than to stand by and do nothing. i believe if you do something good it makes you feel better as well as you hope that when they have the oppertunity to do the same they will remember what was done for them. besides christmas if for children and what you have done will allow them to have a happy memory of christmas and enjoy the day with their mum.
    so goodonyamate hope you are able to sell the ones you dont want to keep so you have some extra dough for the christmas season

next time i will pm you with my thoughts which arent suitable for little people hehe. still trying to get the dvds copied will pm you when i can get them done have THE LIGHTHORSEMEN as well as ANZACS.

cheers smokey

• Hi Smokey, thank you for all the kind words.:wink_smile: Also, yep, I hope that Karen's two boys will have much fun playing with these which I know they will. I only wished that i'd kept that Kettenrad (this was a WWII German half-morotcycle-half-tracked vehicle) so that this too could have been for those kids.

Smokey, your also a Darlin' and having thoe two movies would be one of the nicest things i'd have recieved in awhile. Just recently, I was able to come by a copy of the great movie: "Dunkirk" which stars my most favorite actor from the UK: Sir John Mills. This movie is one im considering a Christmas gift-as well I will any others ;-))

If you would allow me, maybe I can send something for your little bloke?

Take care and best regards--Carl.

PS, your an awsome friend. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Not only will I have Dunkirk, but two other favorites as well. Thanks again Smokey :wink_smile:

PSS, now all that I have left that i'd love to have (besides more of Duke's movies) is a copy of Hannible Brooks w/Oliver Reed, James Donald, Wolfgang Priess, Helmut Lohner, Til Kiwi and Michael J. Pollard {{{and}}} The Password is Courage w/ Dirk Bogarde.