Burt Lancaster

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,420 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• thats's right Ringo the devil's disciple with sir laurence olivier. lancaster & douglas were a great team together. let's not forget seven days in may and gunfight at OK corral.

Hi Bill, it's a shame that D.D. is not ont on DvD. I last saw it about 15 years ago when it was played on AMC I think? I thought it was a great twist to the story to have Kirk going from Rebel to Preacher and to have Burt going from Preacher to Rebel. Also have to agree with you about Gunfight at the OK Corral-simply a great movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Another really good Lancaster western is Vengeance Valley with Robert Walker Sr. playing the villain in that one. It's definitely a sleeper. With that, my favorite Lancaster westerns are:

Gunfight At The OK Corral
    The Professionals
    Vera Cruz
    Valdez Is Coming
    Lawman
    Vengeance Valley

Two of my favorite Lancaster non-westerns but with alot of action
    The Crimson Pirate
    The Flame And The Arrow

• Hi Waynamo.J, great choices, all of them. Also, thanks for mentioning: The Crimson Pirate and The Flame and the Arrow, I have not seen both of those movies for far longer than I can remember.

Also, Vera Cruz is one of my all-time most favorite Lancaster films. Being teamed up with Gary Cooper doesn't hurt ;-)) I always wished that they both could have teamed up in at least one more Western.

Best regards--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The pet store where I bought tropical fish as a kid was owned by a couple who had met Robert Stroud ( the Birdman of Alcatraz ) at a canary convention. Perhaps that contributed to my feelings about Burt Lancaster in the Birdman of Alcatraz film. I thought it was pretty good. I own Vera Cruz and think he makes a convincing villain.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi

I was going to mention The Flame and the Arrow and the Crimson Pirate but others got in first. The Devils Disciple was a very clever film written by George Bernard Shaw.
    One of the bits I particularly like is when Gentleman Johhny Bourgoyne (Olivier) tries to convince Kirk Douglas that he is actually doing him a favour by hanging him rather than executing him by firing squad aguing that with the standard of marksmanship in the British Army most of the shots would either miss or seriously wound him, whereas the hangmans rope would be quick and most effective.

As for Burt Lancaster I think his Wyatt Earp in Gunfight At The OK Corral was excellent.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low