The Alamo (1960)

There are 626 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 527,193 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• As I posted in another thread called carnivore Duke fed the cast well. During filming of the Alamo he bought over 60 tons = 120,000 lbs of steak, roast beef, veal, hamburger and sausage

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Here's an example of the book. Enjoy!

Mark

I have that book and the only connection it has with The Alamo movie is the cover. When I first sat down to read it, I thought it would be a novelization of the film but, all it is a telling of the history of the battle. I had been hoping that it would go along with the movies storyline and would include parts that were written for the movie but were cut out. Just like the 2004 Alamo movie, where Frank Thompson wrote the novelization of it and there were parts that were in the script and filmed but, were cut out of the finished film, like Bonhams ride or at the end, when Juan Seguin goes back to the Alamo to keep his promise to his friends.

• Well, October is almost gone and I never saw any announcement that "The Alamo" was going to be shown on the big screen at the Woodlawn Theater. This has been the most frustrating non-event for me in recent times!!!!:headbonk: :vomit: :dead:
    Cheers - Jay:glare:

Jay, the reason it was canceled was because the Woodlawn Theater was not in good enough shape to show it. I guess it needed alot of work. It was set up for stage plays, not movies. They didn't have enough room for a wide screen. The folks putting it on were to say the least, peeved. They were under the impression that the theater would be all fixed up and ready to go and it wasn't. They had a number of people connected with the movie coming. Dean Smith, Jim Brewer and Rudy Robbins were all slated to be there as was Churro and Theresa Champion. She was the flamenco dancer on the table in the cantina and her husband Churro was the guitar player for her. Invites were also sent out to Aissa Wayne, Joan O'Brien and, Linda Cristal. There were alot of disappointed people connected with this but, they are still hoping that maybe next year things will work out and it'll be a go.

Well, just out of curiousity, has anyone heard any more rumblings of a theatrical showing of "The Alamo?" This has been the most ON-OFF event that I've encountered in recent history!:closedeyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I've read that Sammy Davis was keen to play the role of Jethro. Any truth in this?

Mike, there could well be,

here is a piece from the initial post on this thread

* Sammy Davis Jr. managed to obtain a copy of the script and asked John Wayne if he could play the straight role of a Negro slave. Wayne considered him but eventually declined Davis' offer. Davis recalled, "There were a lot of influential Texans investing in the film and they didn't like the idea that I was seeing [his future wife] May Britt at the time. They disapproved of a man of color going out with a girl who was white, though Duke [Wayne] was upfront with me about it and I respected him for it".

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks, Mike, for sharing!

After the first couple of lines, we realized we had seen it before, but it was good watching it again.

We see it has been shared previously (back on page 3 of the YT forum). I have made the same mistake myself, posting something that was already here. If you think of it, it's good to check the older threads. Even then, you can't always find it (yup, that's happened to me, too :headbonk:).

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester

I see what you mean. I didnt find it the first time round. Lots of good material has surfaced via You Tube.

Mike

• Lots of good material has surfaced via You Tube.

I know this will veer a little (ot), but I couldn't agree with you more. It is amazing to me how much stuff one can find on YouTube. I know there is some really gross garbage to be found there, but the amount of nostalgic, wholesome neat stuff far outweighs it (at least in my experience).

• i liked listening to him talking about the alamo and the fact that he said the money didn t matter, they would spend whatever they needed to make a great film
    nice one

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I know this will veer a little (ot), but I couldn't agree with you more. It is amazing to me how much stuff one can find on YouTube. I know there is some really gross garbage to be found there, but the amount of nostalgic, wholesome neat stuff far outweighs it (at least in my experience).

by going on to this, i also found a clip of him in the Here s Lucy show
    loved it

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Thanks Robbie! I had never seen those before. Any idea about how we can get these on a DVD?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.