Which Famous Western Character Would You Like To Meet With

There are 36 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,143 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• When you think about the history of the American West in the latter half of the 19th century, so many characters immediately come to mind - Wyatt Earp / Billy The Kid / Doc Holliday / Jesse James / Butch Cassidy / Wild Bill Hickok / Buffalo Bill / General Custer / Bat Masterson and so many others.

I was wondering if you had access to a time machine and could go back in time and sit down in a saloon and share a beer with a famous western caharacter, who would you choose??

For me, I think I would choose an infamous character who hailed from Texas by the name of John Wesley Hardin.

JWH was probably as fearless and as feared as any man of the west who ever strapped on a Colt peacemaker. It was said that he may have killed as any as 44 people in straight up gun fights.

He's sometimes been described as a cold blooded killer who might have been classified as a serial killer today, but there's just something about the man that is very interesting.

He was eventually captured , served 25 years in prison, was released and set up a law practice in El Paso. Eventually,he was killed by a fellow named John Selman, who didn't appreciate JWH insulting and bullying his police constable son.

Billy The Kid and Wyatt Earp would also be high on my list of people who I would want to sit down and share a beer or card game with.

• I think I'd have to pick Jesse James as he's very distant kin. He was my maternal grandpa's second cousin. I think after that, I'd pick Bill Cody (Buffalo Bill) and then Wyatt Earp.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, I'd like to meet Jim, he will introduce me to all of his kin folk! Lol,

Seriously, like most of us, I'd like to meet anyone,
    that was involved in the wild, wild west!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I was wondering if you had access to a time machine and could go back in time

Time travel has been a dream of mine all my life. History has always been my favorite subject and I can think of dozens of historical events and figures I'd like to visit.

• I think I'd have to pick Jesse James as he's very distant kin. He was my maternal grandpa's second cousin. I think after that, I'd pick Bill Cody (Buffalo Bill) and then Wyatt Earp.

Distant kin, Stumpy..?? That is really something..!!

I guess if a new member joins this group and his last name is Ford, he may not get a terribly good reception from you..!! :teeth_smile:

I,unfortunately, have the misfortune of also having a "bad sheep" in my family as well. My family all hail from Scotland / England (my brother and I are the first generation that was born in North America - born here in Canada - emigrated back to Scotland at the age of 1 then emigrated to Los Angeles at the age of 8 and finally to Canada in the late 70's).

Many, many years ago, my grandmother researched our family tree (she managed to get back as far as 1519) and found that a distant relative was a fellow named Booth as in John Wilkes Booth - the person who assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

At least, my parents had the good sense to name me Mark (Booth) instead of John (Booth).

• Time travel has been a dream of mine all my life. History has always been my favorite subject and I can think of dozens of historical events and figures I'd like to visit.

Here's a quiz question for you all.

I heard this many, many years ago - maybe it was an article / column in Life magazine or something like that - but they asked alot of different prominent people / scientists / politicians / entertainment figures / writers / etc if they could meet just one historical figure, who would it be..??

Who do you think the most requested historical person was..? It might be a surprise - but maybe not..!

I agree with you about time machines - I think if I could go back to the old west, though, I'd never want to come back to the 21st century. And I also might piss off John Wesley Hardin over our beer and history would forever remember me as victim number 45..!!

• Well, I'd like to meet Jim, he will introduce me to all of his kin folk! Lol,

Seriously, like most of us, I'd like to meet anyone,
    that was involved in the wild, wild west!

Hi Keith:

I'm always curious when somebody from another area of the world and from another culture has such a "strong" connection with the history and culture of another place.

Have you always had an interest in the history of the American West..??

Even though I've lived in Toronto for the last 30 years, I''ve probably taken about 15 vacations to the American southwest where I'll fly into a particular place i.e. Albuquerque, New Mexico and then just rent a car and spend the next 2 to 3 weeks just driving around through New Mexico / Colorado / Utah and Arizona, for example.

I don't know what it is, but I'm just drawn to that region of the world. I guess when you've essentially spent your life living in big cities, there's just something very appealing about the wide open spaces out there where you can sometimes drive these incredibly vast expanses of land that haven't changed a whit in thousands of years.

I've done it a few times by motorcycle, but I can only imagine what it must have been like to have taken the same trips 130 years ago on horseback - pure freedom..!!

• there's just something very appealing about the wide open spaces out there where you can sometimes drive these incredibly vast expanses of land that haven't changed a whit in thousands of years.

I want to suggest one of those wide open space drives that I think you'd enjoy, Mark.

Let me consult a map and I'll suggest a course (highways, towns(very few) and a specific route). Several years ago I was doing a lot of genealogical research and happened to drive through this area. I couldn't believe how unspoiled and deserted it was, which made it wonderful, IMO.

• Here's a quiz question for you all.

I heard this many, many years ago - maybe it was an article / column in Life magazine or something like that - but they asked alot of different prominent people / scientists / politicians / entertainment figures / writers / etc if they could meet just one historical figure, who would it be..??

Who do you think the most requested historical person was..? It might be a surprise - but maybe not..!

I'll bet it's one of these three: Jesus, Churchill, George Washington

Churchill would be my personal pick.

• there's just something very appealing about the wide open spaces out there where you can sometimes drive these incredibly vast expanses of land

If you want to see some wide open spaces, Mark, drive US Highway 83 from Liberal, Kansas to Abilene, Texas (or vice versa). You'll pass through some very small towns between the two points but I guarantee that most of what you'll see is nothing but hawks, cattle, horses, buzzards (feasting on road kill) and undeveloped countryside. My favorite area in that drive is the stretch between Perryton and Wheeler, Texas, with Canadian (TX) about halfway between. Gently rolling hills with lots of grassland and hardly a human to disturb the view. I have little doubt that except for the paved highway and occasional oil pump, it looked exactly the same 200 years ago.

• Hi

I think I would like to meet among others Buffalo Bill and Sitting Bull but in the case of the latter I would make sure my hat was stuck firmly on my head.

One other would have been Chief Joesph I think he was the one who said I will fight no more or words to that effect.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I would like to meet Marshall Bill Tighlman. Stumpy the texas panhandle is ugly as heck, and the stinch from borger will make a man sick. Lol just kidding I have been through there many times. Oklahoma now with the prarie grass hills, you can picture many indian camps and the great herds of buffalo. I had a hunting lease in osage county the prarie grass rolling hills has never been disturbed I would sit sometimes on top of those hills and I could see for miles, I could picture the teppees down in the bottoms and buffalo herds grazing on the slopes. I found several arrowheads and arrow shavers, hides cutters many indian tools down in the creeks when I was hunting. The waters would wash away some dirt I could see arrowheads all at different times. I could picture a brave throwing a spear or shooting an arrow at a buffalo or even a man but all that remains today is the arrowhead. What a wonderful country we live in. I would have also liked to meet Geronimo, My granbdfather had his picture taken with gernimo at or around Ft sill. The stories he could tell would be so awesome. I love going to the cafe's for early morn coffee and talking to the seniors about what they have witnessed.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Let me also add Lewis and clark, I would love to pick their brains on what they had seen.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Hi Keith:

I'm always curious when somebody from another area of the world and from another culture has such a "strong" connection with the history and culture of another place.

Have you always had an interest in the history of the American West..??

Hi Mark,

I've always been interested in the Wild West.
    When I was a little kid, I was always playing cowboys.
    Like many of our 'more mature' members,
    I was bought up with a weekly diet of Saturday morning matinees, at the local cinema.
    Duke, The Three Mesquiteers, and countless, 'B' Westerns.

I had the pleasure of meeting Roy Rogers, in person,
    on a UK tour.

This absorption of your Western culture at such an early age,
    sowed the seeds of a lifetime fascination.

Choosing Duke as my number one hero, was an easy choice to make,
    as he epitomizes, everyone's dream.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I'll bet it's one of these three: Jesus, Churchill, George Washington

Churchill would be my personal pick.

Stumpy:

You would win that bet - Jesus was the correct answer (even scoring alot of votes from both agnostics and atheists).

Mark

• If you want to see some wide open spaces, Mark, drive US Highway 83 from Liberal, Kansas to Abilene, Texas (or vice versa). You'll pass through some very small towns between the two points but I guarantee that most of what you'll see is nothing but hawks, cattle, horses, buzzards (feasting on road kill) and undeveloped countryside. My favorite area in that drive is the stretch between Perryton and Wheeler, Texas, with Canadian (TX) about halfway between. Gently rolling hills with lots of grassland and hardly a human to disturb the view. I have little doubt that except for the paved highway and occasional oil pump, it looked exactly the same 200 years ago.

Good morning Stumpy:

Well, thanks for the recommendation - it sounds like a great road trip. I (used to) love driving down stretches of deserted road and not seeing another soul or car for long stretches of time.

Mark

• I would like to meet Marshall Bill Tighlman. Stumpy the texas panhandle is ugly as heck, and the stinch from borger will make a man sick. Lol just kidding I have been through there many times. Oklahoma now with the prarie grass hills, you can picture many indian camps and the great herds of buffalo. I had a hunting lease in osage county the prarie grass rolling hills has never been disturbed I would sit sometimes on top of those hills and I could see for miles, I could picture the teppees down in the bottoms and buffalo herds grazing on the slopes. I found several arrowheads and arrow shavers, hides cutters many indian tools down in the creeks when I was hunting. The waters would wash away some dirt I could see arrowheads all at different times. I could picture a brave throwing a spear or shooting an arrow at a buffalo or even a man but all that remains today is the arrowhead. What a wonderful country we live in. I would have also liked to meet Geronimo, My granbdfather had his picture taken with gernimo at or around Ft sill. The stories he could tell would be so awesome. I love going to the cafe's for early morn coffee and talking to the seniors about what they have witnessed.

great post, Brick - I really enjoyed reading it.

You're right - Geronimo would have been a fascinating person to chat with as well - as would people like Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Cheif Joseph, Quannah Parker of the Commanches and so many other famous indian chiefs / warriors.

I imagine a conversation with Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse shortly after the "Custer Massacre" might have been interesting. From everything I've read, I don't have a terribly high opinion of Custer and his "ambition". I guess his downfall at the Little Big Horn was long overdue.

Mark

Brick, I fully agree with you - Marshall Tighlman is a great choice as well. I've read alot about Bill Tighlman and he sounds like he was the consumate lawman - brave / fearless and probably the equal of Wyatt Earp.

But he didn't have as defining a moment as Wyatt earp did i.e. the gunfight at the OK Corral to forever etch his name in the history books to the same extent as Earp.

Did you ever see the movie where Sam Elliot played Tighlman - great movie.!!