Maverick (1957-1962)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 65 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Ringo Kid.

• Re: Classic TV Westerns- Maverick (1957-1962)

James Garner was also one of my favorites when I was a kid. Now, we avidly wait the next season of Rockford to come out for sale, as we have five and have enjoyed almost all.

Chester :newyear:

The post was edited 1 time, last by chester7777 ().

captain dan wrote:

Another great example of the super westerns that where on when I was a young man. I really enjoyed anything that had James Garner,
      AKA James Baumgarner in it. I wish these westerns where on the TV Land channel on a regular basis.:wink:

Don't get me started on TVLand. The way they're going, before too long, all the old shows they show will be gone and it'll be nothing but, their own original productions, like that one about women becoming models. They should stick to what made them famous, old tv programs.

captain dan wrote:

Another great example of the super westerns that where on when I was a young man. I really enjoyed anything that had James Garner,
      AKA James Baumgarner in it. I wish these westerns where on the TV Land channel on a regular basis.:wink:

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this series and James Garner-and tv land for that matter.

The problem with tv land, is that they now seem to be centering most of their programs on newer stuff-which to me is a sad mistake as most of their series are currently played on a few to several different channels-like M*A*S*H and The Cosby SHow and The Andy Griffith SHow and The Beverly Hillbillies and I Love Lucy. WHEW, that's a mouthful. :glare: Anyway, tv land should drop most of these and replace them with older shows like those that "made" their network to begin with. But I guess they ""forgot"" what made them a popular station. :glare:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Re: Tv's Greatest Westerns

My favorite was "Maverick". (That's where I got my screen name from, and not from the over use of the word this past election... I almost changed it because of that!)

James Garner is one my favorite actors, and he was great in that show. I used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. I used to like how one show would be a straight western, the next show would be a western parody, and the next show might be a murder mystery and have nothing to do with the old west at all. We need this one on DVD!

John Wayne Fan[/COLOR]: Lucky you to be seeing Maverick on Encore's "Western Channel". Looks like the only way to get copies of these episodes on DVD is with a DVR or burn a DVD from a videotape recording (VCR) as I do on my Mac.
      ZS Maverick: (with sympathies regarding the hi-jacking of your name!)...We found the discontinued DVD (Warner Home Video, 2005) at our public library (free) and burned a copy (for our own use only, of course). The 3 episodes are "Shady Deal at Sunny Acres", "Pappy" and "Gunshy". Amazon.com has some copies also.
      Very Best,
      OT Xtras[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYrsDT02OcE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYrsDT02OcE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Thank Goodness for the western channel as all of these old westerns are playing now. Maverick,Cheyenne etc. What ever happened to making of great series like these. I wonder have we really advanced, that we don't need a hero in the saddle.
      Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!
    • Re: Tv's Greatest Westerns

ZS_Maverick wrote:

My favorite was "Maverick". (That's where I got my screen name from, and not from the over use of the word this past election... I almost changed it because of that!)

James Garner is one my favorite actors, and he was great in that show. I used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. I used to like how one show would be a straight western, the next show would be a western parody, and the next show might be a murder mystery and have nothing to do with the old west at all. We need this one on DVD!

I couldn't agree more. James Garner is one of my all time favorite actors, too. I've seen alot of his movies.

Garner also co-produced and starred in one of the most under-rated westerns of all time - Duel at Diablo. He plays a cavalry scout who's Indian wife has been murdered. It's not a light role and he plays it with considerable credibility, but I'll always remember him for Bret M and his genial scrounger in Great Escape.
      Wish he had a chance to play in a Wayne film.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thanks, Keith, for posting that video.

When I was a kid, Maverick was another of my favorite shows. It's amazing how young he looks in that video, compared to how looks in the movie Maverick, which we watched last week. He's gettin' up there (as we all are . . . :huh:).

james_garner_old.jpg

Chester :newyear:

Don't forget Jack Kelly, who kept the show going long after Garner left. As much as I like James Garner, Kelly deserves a heap of credit for keeping the show going as long as it did. It's too bad he didn't get a chance to join Bret Maverick (as James Garner wanted), due to it's cancellation. The two of them had tremendous chemistry.

The post was edited 1 time, last by alamo221: typo ().