Sticky What Are Your Favourite Non-Duke War Movies?

The community standards & policies page has been updated: https://dukewayne.com/code-conduct.htm

For future reference the link is in the footer below.

• Re: What Are Your Favourite, Non-Duke War Movies?

Hi WaynamoJ/ I too have always liked Desperate Journey. Errol Flynn, Alan Hale Sr. Ronald Reagan and Arthur Kennedy were all great. Their main German nemisis was Raymond Massey-who I thought made a great adversary of theirs.

All the other titles you mentioned are great and favorites of mine too.

Two more that come to mind that I can mention that are "decent" at best but should be mentioned for fans of Alan Ladd, are:

The Deep Six, & All the Young Men.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Post was edited 1 time, last by The Ringo Kid ().

Some more War Classics that could be of interest:-
      Desert Rats, starring Richard Burton, James Mason and Robert Newton. D - Day 6 June, Starring Richard Todd, Robert Mitchum and Edmund O'Brien. Morning Departure, starring Sir John Mills, Nigel Patrick, Richard Attenborough. Reach for the Sky, starring Kenneth More, Muriel Pavlow. Battle of the River Plate,
      starring John Gregson, Peter Finch, Anthony Quayle. Above us the Waves, starring Sir John Mills, Donald Sinden, John Gregson.
      These are just a few of my collection I hope that some of you enjoy them as much as I do.
      Regards
      Redcap
      RACMP - For the troops With the troops

One that I had always heard about, but had never seen-that is-until it was played last month on TCM, is: "The Commandoes Strike at Dawn" w/ Paul Muni. This movie is about the Germans invasion of Norway - the occupation of - and the start up of the Norwegian Resistance Movement. The movie was excellent all the way through.

Keith, if you see this post-please post this movie. It's one that doesn't seem to get much in the way of airtime on TV.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

One of mine is the Great Escape. I didn't have it on DVD and found it yesterday in the $5 bin. McQueen, Atterburrough, Garner,Bronson to name a few of the good actors.
      I plan on watching it tonight.:teeth_smile:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=2] ShortGrub
      [/SIZE]

I would have to say Zulu is my over all favourite film.
      So much so i joined the 1879group and have been to Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana twice. I took part in the 125th anniversary reeenactment and got to fire my Martini Henry on the site of the battles with the Zulus.A fantastic couple of trips
      Bought a six gun and a cowboy hat i wonder !!

scottie wrote:

So much so i joined the 1879group and have been to Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana twice. I took part in the 125th anniversary reeenactment and got to fire my Martini Henry on the site of the battles with the Zulus.A fantastic couple of trips

Excellent choice - it's a great movie.

I envy your trips to the scene where the battles took place.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

scottie wrote:

Hey Scottie, I noticed you're new here. Did you used to post over on the old alamofilmsite.com and Flags Of Our Fathers site? I remember a guy over there, can't remember his username but, he was really into Zulu battles.

Something else, maybe not be gung ho fighting but worth a mention. A BBC production called "The Blitz" showing the German fire bomb raid 23 - 24 December 1940, when the centre of London was subject to continuous raids. The bravery of the fire fighters is worth watching. I have both episodes on DVD and still marvel at the courage of these people.
      Regards
      Redcap

One film that I found good was "Angels One Five" starring John Gregson, Humphrey Lestoq and Michael Dennison. The story of a young pilot in the Battle of Britain and the scrapes and eventual demise of him. Not in a Spitfire squadron but with Hurricanes, which plane actually accounted for more enemy aircraft than the Spitfire. Not enough credit is given to the Hurricane which flew in all areas of combat.
      Regards
      Redcap

Another DVD I have recently purchased is "Sharpe's Challenge" which goes on to the end of the original series and Sharpe meets up with an old adversary. Well worth a look.
      Redcap

One of my favorite non-Duke war movie has to be The Great Escape. I really like James Gardner as the scrounger. That part just fit him well. Steve McQueen is good too as the cooler king.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote