General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,176,211 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I heard about this sad news late last night. Sorry to hear that he too now belongs to history.

Rest in Peace Robert. I especially liked you in a COMBAT episode I saw you in where Kirby was being Court-martialled. I think it was called: Hill 242? or something like that?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Stop the Presses! We have another loss. Singer Johnny Maestro has died at age 70 of cancer. Maestro was the lead singer of The Crests back in the 50's and had the hit songs, 16 Candles, Trouble In Paradise, The Angels Listened In and, Step By Step. He later fronted a group, The Brooklyn Bridge and had the hit, The Worst That Could Happen.

• 'Coots' Matthews, famed oil well firefighter, dies

The Associated Press
    Posted: 04/01/2010 05:05:32 PM MDT

HOUSTON—Edward "Coots" Matthews, a famed oil well firefighter and part of a trio who inspired the 1968 movie "Hellfighters" starring John Wayne, has died. He was 86. Matthews and Asger "Boots" Hansen co-founded Houston-based Boots & Coots International Well Control Inc. in 1978, after a 20-year career fighting oil well fires alongside counterpart—and later rival—Red Adair. Boots & Coots said Matthews died Wednesday.
    "We owe a tremendous debt to Mr. Matthews for the vision he and Boots Hansen shared when they formed this company and the culture they developed that helped the company endure the hard times as well as the good," Jerry Winchester, the company's president and CEO, said in a statement Thursday. "His imprint on this industry will live forever."
    Matthews began his career with Halliburton in 1947 after serving as a U.S. Air Force tail gunner on a B-17 during World War II.
    Matthews and Hansen then joined forces with Adair, fighting some of the best known oil well flares, including the "Devil's Cigarette Lighter" in Algeria in 1961. The geyser was so great, astronaut John Glenn reported seeing it from space as he passed over the Algerian desert.
    After Iraq's 1991 invasion of Kuwait, Matthews was again called to service, flying to the Persian Gulf to help extinguish some 700 fires in Kuwaiti oil fields.
    Matthews retired in 1994 and Boots & Coots was sold to employees.

• John Forsythe, 92, a debonair actor who became one of the most recognizable faces and voices on television through such long-running series as "Dynasty" and "Bachelor Father" and the wildlife show "The World of Survival," died April 1 at his home in Santa Ynez, Calif. He had complications from pneumonia.
    Mr. Forsythe was also an unseen star on the detective drama "Charlie's Angels." He provided the wry baritone voice of millionaire Charles Townsend, who gives instructions via intercom to his three gorgeous police academy "Angels."
    An unflashy performer, he spent much of his early career portraying decent, often paternal characters on stage and screen.

• Rest in Peach John, liked you as well. I best remember him in: Destination Tokyo w/ Cary Grant, Alan Hale Sr, and Dane Clark. I think he was the young "Pill-Pusher" who had to perform an operation on a fellow Sailor--using the knife set that the crew gave to Hale as a Christmas gift. I also fondly remember him in a Western ClassiC; Escape From Fort Bravo-which also starred: Williams: Holden, Demmarrest and Campbell. John Forsythe was the Confederate Captain-in thsi movie who escaped with Confed Sergeant Demmarrest and of course Campbell.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Hi Wayne, oops, I always thought he was "pills" Its been awhile since I last got to see it and need to look for "Sparks" too ;-)) Thanks for the correction though, now I willl not make the same one on another site I haunt ;-))

Take care-_Carl.

• A real hero. John H Lauten at 96 years of age.
    A army officer in WWII with the First Infantry Division.
    As a Army Captain he helped plan both the invasion of Sicily and the Normandy invasion for which he was awarded the silver star for heroism.
    THANK YOU FOR SERVING MR. LAUTEN. RIP.:star:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• A real hero. John H Lauten at 96 years of age.
    A army officer in WWII with the First Infantry Division.
    As a Army Captain he helped plan both the invasion of Sicily and the Normandy invasion for which he was awarded the silver star for heroism.
    THANK YOU FOR SERVING MR. LAUTEN. RIP.:star:

Hi Bill, thanks for this sad news. If you dont mind? im going to post it on the WWII forums im a member of. Those guys will be interested in knowing about this Vet. May he Rest in Peace.

• May he Rest in Peace. I remember his name but dont remember what he looked like.

Edited once, last by arthurarnell ().

• Hi Keith, thanks much for a pic of him. I do recall him a bit now.

More sad news on the WWII Vets front. Morris Jeppson-who was a crewman on: the Enola Gay, and who helped arm the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, passed into history on March 30th-while suffering from an illness at a hospital in Las Vegas. :( With his passing, this leaves only Dutch Van Kirk, as the only living member of the Enola Gays crew. Thankfully, he is still in excellent health.

• Former actress Dorothy Provine has passed away from complications of emphesyma, she was 75. She was in two tv series, The Alaskans and The Roaring Twenties, both WB productions in the late 50's-early 60's. She also co-starred in The Great Race, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Good Neighbor Sam, Who's Minding The Mint, Never A Dull Moment, That Darn Cat and, guested on may tv shows over those years. She left show business in the late 70's when she married director Robert Day.

Always thought she was pretty hot back then and I think she never looked better in her best role from Mad World.

• Rest in Peace Dorothy. I dont recall that we even got to watch any of those TV shows she was on? so I have no memory of her.