General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,160,881 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Alex Karras, American Football Player who later became a comedic actor died today. Apparently suffering from numerous maladies, kidney failure proved fatal. If you don't know him as an athlete you probably know him as Mongo from Blazing Saddles. Also starred in the hit TV show "Webster" with Emmanuel Lewis. RIP Alex

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/a…nsive-143833176--nfl.html

• A really good football player who played for the Detroit Lions in the 60's (mostly) and got a kick out of him playing Mongo on Blazing Saddles.

A true loss but from what I heard he was suffering so thankful that his pain is now gone.
    R.I.P. Alex

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Alex Karras, "What a great guy he is", says my old friend, Wayne Swinford, and once pro football buddy of Alex'.

I remember him best for his role of George Zaharious, the husband of probably the most fantastic woman athlete in the world. She won more events and dominated more sports than is even imaginable today although she died of cancer in her forties. Alex was excellent in his role of the ex- professional wrestler who won Babe's heart. The woman who played Babe Didrickson Zaharious was Susan Clark who became Alex' wife in real life and was at his bedside with family when he died at home.

He was also the color analyst on Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford.

Will call Wayne now and tell him how sorry I am. Alex Karras, once called, "The Gentle Giant"! Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Karras was one helluva football player. Being from Detroit, I watched him play for many years with the Lions as an all pro defensive lineman. In todays football world, he would've looked like a shrimp out there compared to the behemoths that play now, being he was only about 6 ft tall. It was in the movie version of Paper Lion in which he played himself along with the entire Lions team that he got the acting bug. Thing is, is that he was good at it. When the Lions cut him in 71, off he went to Hollywood and his second career was born. Actually, it was a third career. During his football days, he also made time to wrestle professionally. Here in Detroit, he had a much ballyhooed feud with pro wrestler, Dick The Bruiser and they fought a few times, including a highly publicized bout in a Detroit bar, the Lindell AC. Karras was also suspended from the NFL for one year, 1962, I believe, for gambling. Paul Hornung of the Packers was also suspended at the same time. But Karras was always one of my favorite Lions, no matter what.
    Just remembered this. Back in the late 50's-early 60's, the Lions always seemed to be battling the Packers for first place in their division. Vince Lombardi was Packers coach, George Wilson was Lions coach. both teams always fighting for 1st place and it was usually the Packers that won it. In one game that would decide 1st place, Lions were up in the game and looked like they were gonna win. Lions QB, Milt Plum, was told not to throw any passes. Keep the ball and run out the clock. Well, Plum did just the opposite and threw a long pass that intercepted by the Packers, who ended up scoring and winning the game. Afterwards, players going into the lockeroom, someone, supposedly Karras was so mad at Plum, he threw his helmet at him, just missing him. Shows you how passionate Karras was about football.

• I remember that film. I really enjoyed it back when. I didn't know that they married in real life. I'm glad she was there by his side to see him out. Rest in Peace, Alex.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Karras was one helluva football player. Being from Detroit, I watched him play for many years with the Lions as an all pro defensive lineman. In todays football world, he would've looked like a shrimp out there compared to the behemoths that play now, being he was only about 6 ft tall. It was in the movie version of Paper Lion in which he played himself along with the entire Lions team that he got the acting bug. Thing is, is that he was good at it. When the Lions cut him in 71, off he went to Hollywood and his second career was born. Actually, it was a third career. During his football days, he also made time to wrestle professionally. Here in Detroit, he had a much ballyhooed feud with pro wrestler, Dick The Bruiser and they fought a few times, including a highly publicized bout in a Detroit bar, the Lindell AC. Karras was also suspended from the NFL for one year, 1962, I believe, for gambling. Paul Hornung of the Packers was also suspended at the same time. But Karras was always one of my favorite Lions, no matter what.
    Just remembered this. Back in the late 50's-early 60's, the Lions always seemed to be battling the Packers for first place in their division. Vince Lombardi was Packers coach, George Wilson was Lions coach. both teams always fighting for 1st place and it was usually the Packers that won it. In one game that would decide 1st place, Lions were up in the game and looked like they were gonna win. Lions QB, Milt Plum, was told not to throw any passes. Keep the ball and run out the clock. Well, Plum did just the opposite and threw a long pass that intercepted by the Packers, who ended up scoring and winning the game. Afterwards, players going into the lockeroom, someone, supposedly Karras was so mad at Plum, he threw his helmet at him, just missing him. Shows you how passionate Karras was about football.

Karras had a tremendously funny story about Saints kicker Tom Dempsey kicking a 63 yard field goal in New Orleans against the Lions in 1970 when he was playing. Dempsey only had half of his right foot and Karras was playing defense when he kicked it. The kick broke a 15 year old NFL record by seven yards and it still stands today (though it has been tied). Karras talked about this guy limping out on to the field and the Lions just laughing it up and trying to get into position to watch it fall short. The clock expired as the ball passed about the 40 yard line and it just kept going. Saints won 19-17. Karras is number 71 in white

• Karras had a tremendously funny story about Saints kicker Tom Dempsey kicking a 63 yard field goal in New Orleans against the Lions in 1970 when he was playing. Dempsey only had half of his right foot and Karras was playing defense when he kicked it. The kick broke a 15 year old NFL record by seven yards and it still stands today (though it has been tied). Karras talked about this guy limping out on to the field and the Lions just laughing it up and trying to get into position to watch it fall short. The clock expired as the ball passed about the 40 yard line and it just kept going. Saints won 19-17. Karras is number 71 in white

I remember that game very well. I watched it on tv. Everyone was just stunned when Dempsey put that thing through the uprights. Also, 1970 was the last time the Lions would make the playoffs for about 10 yrs. They played the Dallas Cowboys in that playoff game and lost it, 5-0, on a Cowboy field goal and safety. Since then, the Lions have had very few winning seasons.

• Actor Gary Collins dies in Biloxi

Gary Collins, a legendary TV actor and host, died early this morning in Biloxi, MS at the age of 74.

Harrison County Deputy Coroner Brian Switzer tells TMZ he passed of natural causes just before 1:00 AM at Biloxi Regional Medical Center.

Collins' resumé is a mile long ... having appeared on episodes of such hit shows as "Fantasy Island," "Charlie's Angels," "Alice," "The Love Boat," "Police Story" ... the list goes on.

Collins was also known for hosting the talk show "Hour Magazine" and from 1980-1988 and hosted the Miss America Pageant from 1985-1989.

He married former Miss America Mary Ann Mobley in 1967 and the couple had one child together. They separated last year.

Collins also had two children from a previous marriage.

http://www.tmz.com#ixzz29CecH3kz

The Wackiest Ship in the Army was a really good show almost no one watched.

• I remember Collins in The Sixth Sense back in 1972, and Born Free in 1974. I remember liking his acting. I don't remember him in The Iron Horse (1966) or The Wackiest Ship in the Army (1965). Thought he was pretty cool. R.I.P. Gary

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• From makeup artist Michael Blake:

Born in Winnepeg, Canada, Dave Grayson began his make-up career at Columbia Studios in 1941. After serving in WWII, Grayson returned to the makeup field in 1946 and had a remarkable career that spanned more than 50 years. He was the personal makeup artist for Glenn Ford, Kirk Douglas and John Wayne.

His film credits include The Blackboard Jungle, Seven Days in May, Lonely are the Brave, Town Without Pity (all with Douglas).

Grayson traveled extensively with Wayne, once stating that “I didn´t need TV. I did John Wayne on the road; I did his films, went to Europe with him, did his commercials. He did a great many personal appearances.” In between Wayne assignments, and as Wayne worked less and less, Grayson turned to television work. His credits included Police Story, The Rockford Files, The White Shadow, and Moonlighting.

He also co-authored the book “Duke: The Life and Times of John Wayne."

Dave passed away from natural causes at the age of 94 on September 28, 2012. He is survived by his wife, Paula Grayson and three children -Laura, Vanessa, and Bruce, who is also a makeup artist.