Western Art

There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,731 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is a subject I don't think we've explored yet.

My personal favorite Western artists were Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. (I think they were the favorites of most people) I also liked the art of Frank Tenney Johnson and Frank McCarthy. Recently, I discovered a new favorite. Her name is Bev Doolittle and she paints a great picture.

I have numerous books with the art of my favorites and even a few reproduction sculptures but no originals, naturally, since their cost is far beyond my range.

Some of the best Western art I've ever seen was in Sedona, Arizona, right near where Bill Brooks lives.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have to agree with Remington & Russell. Two great western artists! I have a couple western paintings by an artist named Robert Freeman. I enjoy his work as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• Remington and Russell Were Great Panters, but we Had here in Sedona, Arizona a Painter that Became a Legend here in the Southwest and was a Real Cowboy !
    :artist:
    In the 1940s and 1950s you could not go into any Bar, Saloon or Public Place with out Seeing One of Lon Megargee Western Painting Hanging On The Wall !!
    :fear2:
    We have Copies of Many of His Paintings at The 26 Bar Ranch !!!
    :teeth_smile:
    You can Go To The Site Below to See Some Of His Painting.
    (bud)

• I'm afraid I have to say, Bill, that Megargee's painting doesn't impress me all that much. However, I saw paintings and sculptures by other artists in Sedona that impressed me very much.

• That To Bad Stumpy that You Don't care for Lon Megargee's Work !
    :violinist:
    Here in Arizona His Paintings are Everywhere even in the State Capital in Phoenix, Arizona !!
    :tongue1:
    But what the Hell Do We know about GOOD ART Here In Arizona !!!
    26 Bar
    (bud)

• I saw paintings and sculptures by other artists in Sedona that impressed me very much.

This was the place where I saw Western art that was so beautiful, Bill. Also, on Hwy 179, just before you cross the creek going north, there was an art gallery on the right that had a huge metal eagle with outstretched wings I would almost die for. Of course, I imagine that sucker cost fifty or a hundred thousand dollars, which I couldn't afford.

Edited 2 times, last by Stumpy ().

• TLAQUEPHQUE,
    Has a Lot Of Very Good Stuff, But a Lot Of Junk Also Brought in from The Orient and Mexico and Sell it to The Rich People From New York and Florida !
    It now Sits where Part of Duke's Old Film "The Angel And The Badman" was Filmed and Parts Jimmy Stewart's "Broken Arrow."
    :wink_smile:
    26 Bar
    (bud)

• It's a real bummer gettin' old. The first thing that goes is the memory. For instance, yesterday I made a rather expensive mistake because of my failing memory.

I got so enthusiastic about Western artists that I decided I needed more books containing plates of their paintings (since I obviously can't afford the original thing). So I went on Amazon to see if there were any books about Western artists I might want. Naturally, there were so I ordered three. This morning, after mulling it over, I decided I'd better check to see if I already owned any of the three. Sure enough, I discovered this title in my home library. I got the one yesterday for a price very slightly cheaper than the one shown today but since I already had the book, it was no bargain.

Anyone want to buy it for what I paid? (I'll furnish you the original invoice when I get it from Amazon.)

• Fredrick Remington is my favorite, Charles Russell is my second favorite, i bought some lythographs from the 1950s i believe of his a few years back that i framed and hang in my house.

• Fredrick Remington is my favorite, Charles Russell is my second favorite, i bought some lythographs from the 1950s i believe of his a few years back that i framed and hang in my house.

I also have prints of Remington and Russell paintings on my walls. I think my favorite Russell painting is "In Without Knocking".

• Another place I thoroughly enjoyed visiting in Arizona was the Western Museum in Wickenburg. They had some beautiful Western art pieces there too.

• Good choices, Bill. I especially like Remington's "Scout" (the Indian on horseback in the snow). I have that on my wall too.

Another Remington favorite is "Stampede", which shows a herd of longhorns in full flight.

• Theres a lot of great western artists up here in Wyoming and Montana that sketch and paint on a local level, you see there work in small town cafes and other places. Some sale it, some just do it cause they like to. Some of the most talented people are never discovered and some have no desire to be. Dont blame em a bit.

• If you Did Not Care for For the Other Arizona Painter that Did Comic Western Oils. This Painter did Mostly Indians of The Southwest, you won't like this one, but His Art sells for Many Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars !
    :wink_smile:
    And before He Passed On The I.R.S. tried to TAX Him Millions for The Paintings That He Had and had Not Sold Yet, But Would Sell for a Few Million Dollars !!
    :ninja:
    So Ted DeGrazia Put them in a Big Pile And BURNED Them Right In Front Of Them !!!
    :ohmy:
    The I.R.S. Did Not Know What The Hell To Do Then , So all They Could Do is Pack Up and GET OFF His Ranch !!!!
    :eek:
    26 Bar
    (bud)

• My kind of painter - and I ain't even looked at his paintings yet. :wink_smile::teeth_smile:

• One western artist not mentioned yet was Will James (1892-1942). Here is some of his work (reprints) http://www.willjames.com/lep.html. He was born in Canada and came to the American west early in life, he settled in later years near Pryor Montana. His place is currently a operating cattle ranch, the buildings were donated to the small museum in Hardin Montana. I dont know if they have been moved yet and I have never understood why they were ever a problem where they were at either. The outfit i work for owns and operates his former ranch and they donated the origional buildings thats why i know what i do about this. I would have thought they would were in there most historically correct form already. He was also a writer and several movies were made of his books.

• So I received the following in an email.

2008Grand Ol Gang.jpg

I know, it's not Western art, but I liked it so well that I felt compelled to find the artist. It turns out he is also know for his western art. His name is Andy Thomas, and you can see some of his work here. IMO, he is quite an accomplished artist.

Chester :newyear: