Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,206 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi DakotaSurfer,
    Thank you for sending this covers. I have only two of these books - JW American and Company of Heroes. Is the Crowley book a new one? Haven't heard about it before.
    Regards,
    Senta

The first one has a copyright of 1999 and the second one has a copyright of 2002. He was there signing books and these are the two he had there.

Hi Dakota

Whats Stand up & Be Counted Pilgrim like?

Mike

That book is 7" square and has little quotes from Duke. The first quote is his history of learning the Pledge of Allegiance. The whole book is basically about the Pledge. Having to hide his feelings and his pride of being an American. Also a couple pages about the 26 Bar Ranch. It's just a cute little book with John Wayne all through it.

• Hi Dakota,
    Thank you for information. From your second group I have a Tribute. Can you write more about John Wayne In the camera eye. I'm thinking about purchasing it at Abebooks - they have pretty cheap copyes.
    Regards,
    Senta

• I wonder will there be any reissue of a tribute magazine to John Wayne this year?

There must be at least 6-8 that were brought out in 1979, mind you once you bought one you had them all.

Mike

• Hi Dakota,
    Thank you for information. From your second group I have a Tribute. Can you write more about John Wayne In the camera eye. I'm thinking about purchasing it at Abebooks - they have pretty cheap copyes.
    Regards,
    Senta

John Wayne: In The Camera Eye is a 160 page book written by Sam Shaw. The book was a fond farewell book started before but finished after after his death. Mine is a 1st edition copyright 1979. Sam Shaw had a friendship with Duke for many many years and they shared many experiences. Those years and experiences are shared in this book. His forward goes as follows:

I know this forward sounds a little strange saying Duke is as American as Hanoi Jane but I see it as, we're all Americans and even though we have opposite ideas like Hanoi Jane pulled the stunt she did Duke is just as American because he took a controversial stand during the war but not to stand up for the war but like we all should, to stand up for the men fighting the war good or not. Same message we should have for our current situation. Some of us may not like what's going on but we have to support the troops. As all military men, we follow orders, our Commander-in-Chief sent us to battle to fight an aggressor to the United States. We fight to stay free and to help others get free. The pictures in this book are amazing and really show sides of Duke we many not have seen before.

• I have recently purchased "The John Wayne Filmography" by Fred Landesman (a pricey $75) and I don't recall seeing it on here anywhere. It is very comprehensive but somewhat clinical in it's information on "every" movie made by the Big Guy. It basically relates dates, studio, casts, and plot with some extras like box-office statistics. Not as many pictures as one would probably like and it is printed on yellowing paper making it all look like something from long ago. As I said, it is rather clinical in it's interpretations...not a lot of antecdotes.
    I just received "John Wayne-A Western Celebration", which is a very colorful, huge book dealing with the westerns of John Wayne's career. Full color reproductions of old movie posters (some of the posters are more exciting than the original movie was but hey, sensationalism sells!). These book claims to be a limited edition and I ordered it directly from it's web-site. I paid $100 for it plus shipping and I noticed Amazon had it listed for about $130 (but unavailable).
    What I'd like to find is a really good biography of John Wayne, the actor and the man. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi,
    As it was said many times here - one of the best ones is John Wayne: American by randy Roberts and James S.Olson. I'm reading it now and greatly enjoy. I also like Zolotov's book A Shooting Star - very interesting. If you look for pictures you can try Goldstein Tribute or Complete films of Duke.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Two more books to add to my list... I just got today. Tom's books is really good, I suggest it as good reading for everyone.

You can see my entire book collection on my forum, just go thru my website. It's just a place for me to show my items without using up a lot of space on here. Plus I'll be adding three more pocket watches shortly when they are received and that completes the entire Franklin Mint domed collection.

• Hi Dakota,
    Thanks for sharing. Where you bought Tim Lilley book?
    Regards,
    Senta

I got it direct from Tim. We converse via email. If you want I can give him your email address or find out from him where you can buy it.

• I can't really give out Tim's email address but I can give you a pre-celebration order form. Now as long as you remember the special pricing is no longer valid since it's after May 26th. The books are now $30 plus $4.00 s/h for a total of $34.00

Fill out the bottom part of the order form and mail it in to him with your check or money order. No fancy websites or electronic ordering. I've already had a chance to glance through the book and it is pretty damn good.

• Just talked to Tim and he said I was off a dollar on the shipping since the special is over. Here is his response:

Quote from Tim Lilley

Since we're past the "Centennial Day" sale, the book now sells for the cover price of $30 (+ 4 s/h). The guys could send a check or money order to Big Trail Publishing, 540 Stanton Ave, Akron, OH, 44301

I know if you asked him to sign it he'd do that as well. Need any more info just ask.

• I also found out that Tim does another book once a year called "The Trail Beyond" He started it back in 1999 and I bought all the back issues, all except for the 1st issue since that was sold out. The books are over 100 pages and it's an annual publication on the films of John Wayne. All kinds of articles, location pictures and all sorts of goodies. I think all true die hard fans would love to read these books. Here is the cover for the 2006 edition:

If your interested I'm sure he'd make you a deal on the back issues as well.

• I want to let you in on a book about John Ford, that refers to Duke ( how could it not) and many of the actors in his films.
    The book is titled "PRINT THE LEGEND" The Life and Times of John Ford,,, it is authored by Scott Eyman, and gives some great insight to Fords movies, and it's characters with some absolutely great writing. This is a book that by my own experience was very hard to put down. I kept wanting to read just one more chapter. It is well researched and is probably one of the best books I have ever read. It is truly a treasure. If your library has it I would say check it out, and I would be willing to bet that before you finish half the book, you will have purchased it!!!! Absolutely a Gem!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!