Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,167 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've always been digusted with Gary Wills, as he reminds me quite a bit of Kitty Kelly. You know, the old "I'll write anything, mostly lies" to get published. Of course, a fair number (not all, mind you) of our friends in the press eat it up, as it's "old fashioned" to have the same type values as John Wayne.

All I can say is: "Call me 'old fashioned' forever!!"

http://knowshowbiz.blogspot.com/

• I've always been digusted with Gary Wills, as he reminds me quite a bit of Kitty Kelly. You know, the old "I'll write anything, mostly lies" to get published. Of course, a fair number (not all, mind you) of our friends in the press eat it up, as it's "old fashioned" to have the same type values as John Wayne.

All I can say is: "Call me 'old fashioned' forever!!"

http://knowshowbiz.blogspot.com/

Garry Wills book is one I am never planning on reading. Books like that are an extreme kneejerk reaction by the Left Wing groups that were always ridiculing him.

• Now that has to be an interesting read! I do find it curious, however, that the reviewer states that "Angel and the Badman" is John Wayne's "most Christian film." I personally think that there are a lot of his films which showcase the Christian values the reviewer mentions, such as virtue, honesty, courage, having values, morals and principles. I guess since Angel and the Badman has fallen into the public domain, the author choose this film over others so as to avoid any possible litigation or accusations of copyright infringement.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• It was just one of those things. The copyright was never renewed, and it lapsed in to the public domain. I guess it just fell though the cracks like McLintock did. Of course, just like McLintock, there are tons of poor quality copies available all over the place. None of which are as good a quality as the "authorized" copies. But, yes, they are both in the public domain.
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Howdy All,
    Just had to add another quick post to this thread. First to add a title not yet mentioned (can you believe that!) is "John Ford: A Bio-Bibliography" by Bill Levy. Although it is primarily about John Ford, it does mention quite a bit about John Wayne.

Also, I have to share a story. I recently received a call from our local library here, saying that a fellow had just dropped off 20 boxes of books, and asking if I wanted them. I said yes, and in going through them all, I found a 1953 edition of "Island in the Sky" by Ernest K. Gann. Another addition to my collection! This happened once before, about a year ago, when I found a 1st edition 1st printing of "The Searchers" by Alan LeMay. I was so happy I almost, well, never mind that part!
    Bob

• Hi Bob

What else was amongst the 20 boxes and what do you do with the rest? just curious LOL

BY the way did we ever put together a LIST of the books mentioned here? I know there was talk of it in this thread but I do not see it anywhere?

Would be useful just to have a list of title author publisher ISBN.

If not maybe I will just have to find some time and do it myself

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good biography on the Duke? I have just finished John Wayne American and Duke, Were Glad We Knew Ya. Both good books. The Duke book was very fast reading. Would like something similiar. Thanks. :shades_smile:

• Hi

Go to the thread the definitive list of John Wayne book, it includes a list of virtually every book ever written on John Wayn you should find something to help you there.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I think the best book on Duke at Least for the last 7 Years of His Life is
    "Duke A Love Story"'
    =============
    By Pat Stacy
    :teeth_smile:
    She was with Him all the time for the last 7 Years of His Life and at His Bed Side at His Passing !
    :angel:
    If anyone would Know about what Duke was all about it would Be Her !!!
    :wub:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• I was looking through this book because I finally did a Access database of my Duke movies.

THE COMPLETE FILMS OF JOHN WAYNE, by Zmiewsky and Ricci

I noticed one of the movies I have Hell Town is not in the book. Makes me think how many more are out there I don't own or not in that book.

• It's probably in there, ShortGrub. Just under another name. I believe some of his early "B" movies were re-released under different names after he became well known, or were released in other countries by a different name. Check the synopsis of some of his earlier films in the book and see if the story resembles the film you have.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I was looking through this book because I finally did a Access database of my Duke movies.

THE COMPLETE FILMS OF JOHN WAYNE, by Zmiewsky and Ricci

I noticed one of the movies I have Hell Town is not in the book. Makes me think how many more are out there I don't own or not in that book.

Hi

I have noticed this too in a few books that the filmography is not complete. I did post a list on this site of what i had gathered from various sources as being a "COMPLETE" list of JW films.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi

Its in the book under its original title of 'Born to the West'. For some unexplained reason they have not included its re-issue title of 'Hell Town', although they do include other re-named films in the book.

If you have a copy of Duke by Donald Shephered and Robert Slatzer it shows it quite plainly in their filmography.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low