Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,223 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am sure my old friend itdo, will not object
    to me re-formatting his brilliant definitive list,
    by inserting bold, colours, generally tidying it up.
    I have edited, the running order, added new sections,
    with many new additions.

This has been necessary to bring the list more up to date.
    I have chosen to edit itdo's thread, rather than start a new one.
    This then still gives itdo full credit for the list.

I am now attempting to bring this list up to date,
    and as this is an expansive thread, it ain't gonna be easy!!

Any additions to the original list will be welcome.

P.S.

Take a look at the list now,
    I have added loads of new additions!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 8 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Keith

I have pulled together my own list of books but rather than confuse the issue I will email it to you so that you can compare it with what you already have.

I am continuing to work on the other lists.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Keith

I have pulled together my own list of books but rather than confuse the issue I will email it to you so that you can compare it with what you already have.

I am continuing to work on the other lists.

I have now took all morning,
    and edited in your extra additions.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have now took all morning,
    and edited in your extra additions.

THANK YOU!

I have just now sent the rare & lost list then will send the TV list and for this year at least that will have to be all from me.

But as Arnie would say "I'LL BE BACK!"

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I have now gone through this thread
    and added any of the books that have been posted,
    but were not on the list.

The list is now a 'monster',
    I have decided to split the thread
    into four seperate ones,
    so making it easier to
    browse the many books published.

Hopefully, our lists are now
    the most concise lists of Duke's books anywhere!

I will continue to add to it, as and when new books surface
    and are brought to our attention.

Please keep us posted, with any new titles that surface

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith, you are doing a fantastic job tying up these lists. Under books turned into movies, you can add The Three Godfathers by Peter B. Kyne.

Under the section, Tie Ins, you have a few that are not tie ins, but were books turned into movies. They are THEY WERE EXPENDABLE by W. L. White, RED RIVER by Borden Chase, THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS by Harold Bell Wright, THE SEARCHERS by Alan Le May, THE SHOOTIST by Glendon Swarthout, THE LONGEST DAY by Cornelius Ryan and TRUE GRIT by Charles Portis. These books may have been republished to sell in conjunction with the film, but they were written as books first.

If you intend to include books about movies that Duke was in but uncredited, then there is also Hangman's House by Donn Byrne and Four Sons by I. A. R. Wylie.

And there is also a book about the first movie Duke ever worked with John Ford on, Mother Machree by Rida Johnson Young.

Keep up the great job you are doing, and we can't thank you enough for the time you dedicate to this forum.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Edited once, last by dukefan1 ().

• Keith, I m sorry if I caused you any undue work. As I checked the thread again, I see that most of what I just put up were already on the list. I just looked under tie ins and saw the few listed I knew were books. But they were already listed above that under Books Made Into Movies also. So, the intention must have been to list the re-issued after movie release versions of the books under Tie Ins. I just didn't look through well enough before I posted. Sorry for the undue confusion, my friend. I'll shut up now, and you keep up the great work!

Mark

Edited once, last by dukefan1: Stupidity ;-) ().

• Keith, Just where do we go on this Site to see this Complete List Of Books on Duke ?
    Bill

Bill,
    Formed a new forum called
    John Wayne:- His Comprehensive Body Of Work
    and there is
    Books On Duke And His Movies

Also in the Forum are
    Books On Duke's Director's, Westerns and War Movies

We would like to think it is 'complete'
    but that would be wishful thinking,
    but we're getting there!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I got another one for the list, Keith. The First Rebel, by Neil H. Swanson. The movie Allegheny Uprising was made from this book. It's one of the few I don't have. Every time I see one on ebay, it goes for far more than I am willing to spend. So, I keep an eye out and bide my time.

Mark

• I got another one for the list, Keith. The First Rebel, by Neil H. Swanson. The movie Allegheny Uprising was made from this book. It's one of the few I don't have. Every time I see one on ebay, it goes for far more than I am willing to spend. So, I keep an eye out and bide my time.

Mark

Here's a reprint you might be interested in...

http://www.amazon.com/first-re…oks&qid=1261253044&sr=1-2

• Great job Keith!
    I,ve read THE GREEN BERETS. very different book.book better.
    TRUE GRIT. pretty close to the movie. movie better ending.
    THE SHOOTIST. very different ending. movie better ending.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Thanks for the link, Lt. Brannigan. But that is my problem. I almost always refuse to pay 25 dollars or more for a book. Unless I really, really HAVE to have it. That's why I keep an eye out and wait to find one cheaper. If I get tired of waiting one day, I'll suck it up and pay that price. But, thanks for looking it up for me, I appreciate the effort.

Mark