Who Played the Worst Cowboy, and What Was The Worst Western

There are 112 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 33,883 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Westworld was written and directed by Michael Crichton who also penned Jurassic Park. If you think about the theme - a resort area goes amok and trapped tourists have to resourcefully fight back - Mike recycled his own idea.
    When Brynner was approached to play the Gunslinger, Crichton suggested playing him like Jack Palance in Shane, but Brynner suggested Chris from Magnificent Seven to Crichton's great pleasure. The movie was shot on a miniscule budget and when the Gunslinger is stalking down the miles of corridors, you can piece together that it's the same set over and over again.
    Not a bad little movie but I don't think it, or Futureworld, qualify as westerns. Note that veteran stuntman Terry Wilson plays the doomed sheriff.
    For shear torture try sitting through Silent Tongue with River Phoenix.
    For laughs try Terror in a Texas Town which ends in a stand off between a gunhand and a harpooneer.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Another one I consider a terrible Western is one I THINK was called" A Town Called Hell? And one that I know others here love but I cant stand is: One-Eyed Jacks. I HATE that movie as much as I hate Schindlers List.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I have to string along with the Lieutenant and Ringo on this one. I never understood Brando's reputation. If I had never heard of him before The Godfather, I would have figured he was a solid supporting actor, but his history of mannerisms, misfires and boxoffice bombs distracted me from his performance. My own prejudice, but I found him annoying.
    Without going to IMDB, I recall he starred in such colossal flops as Guys and Dolls, Night of the Following Day, Mutiny on the Bounty, Teahouse for the August Moon, Candy, Ugly American and many more which (thank God) escape me.
    One Eyed Jacks was a huge misfire. The only smart move that Brando, as director, made was hiring Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens. I understand that when he interviewed Ben, he asked him what he thought of Jack Palance's performance in Shane. Ben replied to the effect that if it were him, he wouldn't have put gloves on before drawing his handgun.

We deal in lead, friend.

• well for me the one i hated was "the quick and the dead" with sharon stone,gene hackman,russell crowe and baby face leo dicaprio.good cast one big waste of film. ps I'am back missed you guys.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• well for me the one i hated was "the quick and the dead" with sharon stone,gene hackman,russell crowe and baby face leo dicaprio.good cast one big waste of film. ps I'am back missed you guys.

And good to have you back Bill.

Have we mentioned Paleface with Bob Hope?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• This thread sort of morphed into what is a genuine western. I don't believe Westworld, Futureworld or Paleface land in that category. Which leads me to ask what you gents (and ladies) think of High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider. They had overtones of ghost movies that aren't traditional.
    The moderators may want to start a new topic with this. Again, being a neophyte here, I hope this hasn't been covered in a thread I haven't yet found.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Which leads me to ask what you gents (and ladies) think of High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider. They had overtones of ghost movies that aren't traditional.
    The moderators may want to start a new topic with this. Again, being a neophyte here, I hope this hasn't been covered in a thread I haven't yet found.

We deal in lead, friend.

We do indeed have a dedicated thread about
    Classic Movie Westerns- Pale Rider
    but not High Plains Drifter

For continuity I have copied your leading question,
    over to there, and moved Jim's post also.

As they are not 'Worse' Westerns, their discussion
    would be better suited there.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I for one did not like Blazing Saddles I did not know it was a comedy and it was over the top for me. Having said that there were scenes that prompted a chuckle. Mongo T K O the horse etc.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I for one did not like Blazing Saddles I did not know it was a comedy and it was over the top for me. Having said that there were scenes that prompted a chuckle. Mongo T K O the horse etc.

There were positive and negative scenes in this movie, but being an old Slim Pickens fan, I'll have to say I enjoyed everything he was in.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

• That's with Brando right? I can't stand him and dislike almost every movie he has ever made. He just grates on my nerves.

Yup, twas Brando. The only movie I ever saw him in that I liked-besides Superman-was the one where he played a WWII German Officer. He diddo a good job in this one and was later killed by Dean Martin-who was a GI and on a Patrol with another GI--Monty Clift-to be exact. I can't think of the title off hand but-its actually a pretty good movie and also in glorious B&W.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Yup, twas Brando. The only movie I ever saw him in that I liked-besides Superman-was the one where he played a WWII German Officer. He diddo a good job in this one and was later killed by Dean Martin-who was a GI and on a Patrol with another GI--Monty Clift-to be exact. I can't think of the title off hand but-its actually a pretty good movie and also in glorious B&W.

The name of that film is THE YOUNG LIONS. 1958.
    also with HOPE LANG,BARBARA RUSH,MAXIMILIAN SCHELL AND LEE VAN CLEFF. great film.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• What is the ONE worst western? Although I can think of several, the absolute worst western ever made, of all time, has got to be "Lemonade Joe". It is a Czech film, and it is so bad, that I have had it on my want list for many years. it is so bad its hilarious! You can see it on You Tube (just search for Lemonade Joe), and they have it in 10 parts. Good ol' Lemonade Joe can fall 200 feet and land on his feet. He can blow smoke "words" with his cigarette. You have just got so see this movie!

If I was to pick a runner up to the "Worst Western", it would have to be "The Terror of Tiny Town", and all midget cast. Sort of a "Munchkin Western".

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• If I was to pick a runner up to the "Worst Western", it would have to be "The Terror of Tiny Town", and all midget cast. Sort of a "Munchkin Western".

I have seen only bits and pieces of this film, but the concept itself seems so off-the-wall and ridiculous that I laugh just thinking about it!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• one of the worst westerns i saw was shoot the sun down with margot kidder and christopher walken.i saw this film when i was about 12 years old and as i can remember it was an awful western.it is about 4 strangers walking in the desert looking for something.i cant remember anything else about the movie.

• one of the worst westerns i saw was shoot the sun down with margot kidder and christopher walken.i saw this film when i was about 12 years old and as i can remember it was an awful western.it is about 4 strangers walking in the desert looking for something.i cant remember anything else about the movie.

I bet it was this
    Shoot the Sun Down

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England