I am sad to report the passing of the last WWI Americaan Vet

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,278 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I learned of this a few days ago but forgot to post it here but, last Sunday, a few days after he turned 110, the Last WWI American vet Mr. Frank Buckles, has passed away.

That truly is the passing of an era. As I type this TCM is playing that special tune they play when announcing a Celebrity has passed away.

Rest in Peace Mr. Buckles and thank you for your service.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I learned of this a few days ago but forgot to post it here but, last Sunday, a few days after he turned 110, the Last WWI American vet Mr. Frank Buckles, has passed away.

That truly is the passing of an era. As I type this TCM is playing that special tune they play when announcing a Celebrity has passed away.

Rest in Peace Mr. Buckles and thank you for your service.

Thank You Carl for posting about Mr. Buckles as I had also wanted to but forgot. This real American hero also served in WWII and was a prisoner for three years held by the Japanese. RIP Mr. buckles.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Quite welcome Bill, and thank you as well ;-)) Also, it looks like Congress is even going to mess this up, they are seemingly refusing to allow him (as the last symbol of the now past) to lie in State at the Rotunda. One wonders what gets into those peoples minds and in some of their dumb decisions? AT least thanks to Pres Bush, at least he gets that white marker and is going to be allowed to rest in Arlington Natl Cemetary. As a non-combatant, they normally cant be buried with those who served in combat. Im glad Bush made the correct decision to let him be with his Comrades.

Also, this will most likely be the one and only time I ever agree with and will give-obama any credit. He has ordered that the flag be at half mast the day of his burial. I didnt think obama had it in him for such things?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• [SIZE=+1]This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And rouse him at the name of Crispian.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] He that shall live this day, and see old age,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] But he'll remember, with advantages,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Familiar in his mouth as household words-[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] This story shall the good man teach his son;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] From this day to the ending of the world,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] But we in it shall be remembered-[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] For he to-day that sheds his blood with me[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] This day shall gentle his condition;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And gentlemen in England now-a-bed[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.[/SIZE]

--Henry V

• A little story about Mr. Buckles that I found interesting. He was under age at the time he enlisted in the war, which would be true if he is 110 years old now. He didn't disclose his correct age.

And while a parishioner in WWII in the Pacific Island (can't remember the island), but while held captive, he was not a soldier. He would be helping those in prison to stay in shape by exercising and learn to preserve food for survival.

He was a fitness enthusiast until his death. I believe he had a very interesting life. It would be good to read about his life and living in the 20th century.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote