Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

There are 287 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 193,230 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Anyone have any idea when Paramount will start issuing Duke films on Blu-Ray? I have the Warner releases of Cowboys, Rio Bravo, and The Searchers---and they are gorgeous.

Paramount is sitting on a treasure. I will buy several. Anyone heard anything?

Hi Take a look at RoughRiders website he lists all JW films that are available on DVD & Blu ray or due for release

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…ayne_dvd_filmography.html

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Looks like Paramount could release a few Blu-Ray titles in 2010, if they had any sense. The JW titles still sell. As I now have a big-screen HDTV, watching True Grit, Shootist, etc. and other Paramount titles on this format could be a sensational experience. Plus, digital sound---let's hope they do as good a job as Warner Brothers has done on their JW Blu-Ray releases.

• Hi Take a look at RoughRiders website he lists all JW films that are available on DVD & Blu ray or due for release

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…ayne_dvd_filmography.html

Criterion is rumored to have Stagecoach coming to Blu-ray now that Warner Brothers' distribution rights have lapsed. It'll be a different (better) print than the one currently available on DVD.

• hey you guys! I just learned of a new Stagecoach (1939) DVD and Blu-ray release coming may 25th! This is a criterion release and for reference I have included the cover art release date, and special features.

DVD

and finally here is the special features list

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    • Audio commentary by noted western authority Jim Kitses
    • Bucking Broadway (1917), a fifty-four-minute silent western by John Ford, with new music by Donald Sosin
    • Extensive video interview with Ford from 1968
    • New video interview with Dan Ford, biographer and grandson of the director, about Ford’s home movies
    • New video interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
    • New video essay by writer Tag Gallagher
    • New video feature about Monument Valley
    • New video interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong about Stagecoach’s stuntman Yakima Canutt
    • Radio dramatization of Stagecoach from 1949
    • Theatrical trailer
    • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Cairns and the short story that inspired the film

• It's important to note that this new version of Stagecoach is from an entirely different print than the Warner Brothers DVD, including the special edition. So the combination of Blu-ray and a better print will be something to behold.

Another new release to DVD is In Old Oklahoma/War of the Wildcats. The title has been available on Region 2 for a few years, from a very nice print from the official Republic library (including a few scenes not found in the American VHS release). People will remember that Paramount announced this title for Region 1 in 2006 but all we got was the cover art.

What's interesting to me is that the film is released on DVD (most likely DVD-R) by PR Studios, a public domain label. (The Amazon listing shows it as Region 1, so maybe it's a standard commercial DVD.) Hopefully the print quality won't be as bad as the cover art done by PR Studios. The running time shows as 97 minutes, so I'm wondering if PR did a PAL to NTSC conversion of the official PAL disc (which runs 97 minutes).

Although this isn't an official release, it has UPC and EAN numbers. If the film is still under copyright (i.e. it was renewed after 28 years), then I would think Paramount's lawyers would send PR Studios a warning about selling their property, especially on Amazon which would attract more attention.

Regardless of the legal ramifications, War of the Wildcats is now available on Region 1 even though it's not an official release. But with UPC and EAN numbers, it's somewhat of an official commercial release.

I've ordered the film and will report back on the print quality. I have the official UK DVD, of which I did a high-quality PAL to NTSC conversion with TMPGEnc XPress and DGPulldown. This will be my benchmark for comparison.

• I saw that release, but it should be noted that PR releases are DVD-R.

Just check out the reviews for the Captain America serial DVD.

Judging by some of the reviews I've read of PR Studios product, the quality will reflect their cover art.

DVD-R isn't an issue to me so long as the print quality is good, of course. Even Warner Brothers is releasing some burn-on-demand titles, although evidently their production method is different than what one would do at home.

Like some titles on eBay, it'll be interesting to see if War of the Wildcats gets pulled for legal reasons (if there's a basis for that). I would rather see Paramount release the film on DVD.

I can't even find the official website for PR Studios, although that could be my fault. Anyone know of it or have any insight into this company?

• Or a willingness to buck the copyright laws, if any, which could leave you open to lots of financial headaches.

There's that too, we could become Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid of pirates....

But really if you want a copy of War of the Wildcats so bad, check out the internet archive. http://www.archive.org which I assume is a legit place to get it.

• There's that too, we could become Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid of pirates....

But really if you want a copy of War of the Wildcats so bad, check out the internet archive. www.archive.org which I assume is a legit place to get it.

Well... it's in the public domain then, or at least PR Studios and Internet Archive deem it so.

The print on the Internet Archive is definitely from the PAL DVD, which of course looks much better than the online version.

Maybe PR Studios downloaded it from there and burned it for the DVD-R release? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

I should start selling the lovely NTSC conversion I did <g>. I also did conversions of Lady for a Night (a lovely print) and Without Reservations (the US DVD is cut by about 6 minutes).

• In Australia we have a few shops that sell DVD's really cheaply, ** $2- AU, and i always have a look in the bins for old Westerns which there are plenty of always.

The John Wayne, and similar vintage Westerns ( very early ones ) go quickly, and the Beverly Hillbillies , Mr Ed etc.

Was wondering if in the US they do the same with his DVD's, after reading some of the info re current family court cases on this site, these DVD's must be bringing in a lot of income Internationally even at $2 a piece

• Nothing of great importance, but this release has me at least curious.

As far as I can tell it contains this documentary

Looks like it includes the two VHS documentaries, (I have them)
    Bigger Than Life, and The American West of John Ford, (see below)

So it looks, as in other DVD releases, it has extras!
    Thanks Jim, I have also copied your post to the documentary thread

Bigger Than Life

Quote from ethanedwards

This documentary pays homage, to Duke
    throughout is life, showing rare footage
    and clips, a worthy tribute to a classic legend.

Personally, I thought it was just about OK!!!

The American West of John Ford

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().