Full Frame vs Standard

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,390 times. The latest Post () was by Lt. Brannigan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi seekermeister

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Q What's the difference between pan & scan, full-frame, widescreen and letterbox movies?

They refer to the aspect ratio of a movie, which is defined as its width-to-height relationship. Your television has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (4:3), but many movies are 1.85:1 and even 2.35:1. If you're watching these "wider" movies in their original aspect ratio, which doesn't match that of the TV you're watching it on, you'll see black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. How tall the bars are depends on how wide the movie is: a 1.85:1 movie will have much shorter black bars than a 2.35:1. This format is referred to as "letterbox." Some people call 2.35:1 or wider movies "widescreen," then call the narrower movies "letterbox." But when you see them on DVD packaging, it implies that you'll see the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Your television has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (4:3),

That's the aspect ratio of old square-shaped TVs.

The newer widescreen TVs are 1:78, otherwise known as 16x9.

1:85 movies generally won't have black bars on the widescreen sets as they're cropped a tiny bit to fit the 1:78 screen. You will still see black bars at the top and bottom of films that are 2:35 or wider. And older movies in the 1:33 Academy ratio will have bars on the sides if you're watching them on a widescreen monitor.

This is the TV screen I'd like to have some day. (It will have to wait for another life, actually, when I'm stinkin' rich and have a giant house.) ;) You can adjust it to any size so it will fit any aspect ratio and thus no black bars on either top/bottom or sides! ;)

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.c…inecurve_residential.html

• "Full frame," "full screen," "standard," I believe they're all just different ways of refering to the exact same thing, the old 1.33:1 "Academy Ratio."

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Firstly, I was not asking about aspect ratios in general, only full frame and standard, as shown on the movie list. I kind of think that both nomenclatures would not have been used in the same list, unless they meant something different from each other.

I have not found an aspect ratio specifically labeled "standard", however there are a couple that come very close to full frame, yet differ slightly...like 1.37:1 or 1.15:1. I would just like to pin this down precisely.

• Firstly, I was not asking about aspect ratios in general, only full frame and standard, as shown on the movie list. I kind of think that both nomenclatures would not have been used in the same list, unless they meant something different from each other.

I have not found an aspect ratio specifically labeled "standard", however there are a couple that come very close to full frame, yet differ slightly...like 1.37:1 or 1.15:1. I would just like to pin this down precisely.

Standard is anything that formatted to fit a square television screen. And there is no difference other than what the various studios call them, it's potato, potahto.

I call full frame, you call it standard... it doesn't matter it's the same thing. But with the rise of widescreen TV's how long is it going to be before Widescreen is called standard?