Anyone hear of this DvD shop before?

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,567 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was wondering if anyone has heard of this website before which sells loads of old movies on DvD as well as other hard to get titles.

The place is: http://www.oldies.com and I found many great titles there of interest in Westerns, Sci Fi, and War Movies.

Looks like they have a lot that deepdiscountdvd.com does not carry and some prices are cheaper too.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The video quality of the Alpha Home Video releases is very hit or miss, and depending on what westerns you are looking at you might be able get a better deal elsewhere.

I have never ordered from their website but I do have a handful of their serials on DVD. And as long as you don't expect pristine quality you'll find them to be enjoyable.

• i have ordered from this site.i found most of their westerns good quailty. i would rate 7 out of 10.at times they do have good bargins

• The video quality of the Alpha Home Video releases is very hit or miss, and depending on what westerns you are looking at you might be able get a better deal elsewhere.

I have never ordered from their website but I do have a handful of their serials on DVD. And as long as you don't expect pristine quality you'll find them to be enjoyable.

Ive had only one experience with Alpha Video. I ordered from dddvd.com the movie: He Walked by Night-when it first came out, and they sent me the wrong one as I knew one was done by Alpha--the movie is watchable but is like they recorded it with a lot of "white glare" in it. Since then, ive avoided anything they print.

I thought of buying some fo the serials but-knowing what I first saw from buying their product, I was highly disappointed-samething with Mill Creek vids too.

• i have ordered from this site.i found most of their westerns good quailty. i would rate 7 out of 10.at times they do have good bargins

I might try a few Westerns as I like the very rarely shown Westerns that Buster Crabbe made.

• Ive had only one experience with Alpha Video. I ordered from dddvd.com the movie: He Walked by Night-when it first came out, and they sent me the wrong one as I knew one was done by Alpha--the movie is watchable but is like they recorded it with a lot of "white glare" in it. Since then, ive avoided anything they print.

I thought of buying some fo the serials but-knowing what I first saw from buying their product, I was highly disappointed-samething with Mill Creek vids too.

I myself have been content with Mill Creek, I have come to the sad conclusion that B-Westerns will never be on the top of anyone's list of things to save and have resigned myself to the fact that they are pretty much deteriorated.

However if, you are looking at Buster Crabbe westerns you might want to consider Mill Creek's Billy The Kid 20 pack. Fuzzy is hilarious.

• Thanks for the tip. I might give it a try but, buying from them is on the low end of the places I would buy from. I found quite a few on demand Westerns, War Movis and Sci Fi-that are well taken care of by the studios that made them==found some nice suprises in a few releases too, like: Eight Iron Men-Lee Marvin, The Heroes of Telemark (FINALLY) and several other goodies.

• Thanks for the tip. I might give it a try but, buying from them is on the low end of the places I would buy from. I found quite a few on demand Westerns, War Movis and Sci Fi-that are well taken care of by the studios that made them==found some nice suprises in a few releases too, like: Eight Iron Men-Lee Marvin, The Heroes of Telemark (FINALLY) and several other goodies.

To each, his own. I myself cannot get enough of those great B westerns and have been gleefully devouring the Mill Creek sets.

• To each, his own. I myself cannot get enough of those great B westerns and have been gleefully devouring the Mill Creek sets.

Dont get me wrong, I love B Westerns but its hard to swallow seeing them not restored and printed by companies like Mill Creek. I do have a few things from them but dont actively look for their products. I used to have about 700 B Westerns on VHS tape-but had a severe case of the stupids about 6 years ago, and gave most of my tapes away as I was sick and tired of lugging about 800 VHS tapes everywhere I moved. I do still have a few hundred and im keeping those till I can get them all on DvD.

• Dont get me wrong, I love B Westerns but its hard to swallow seeing them not restored and printed by companies like Mill Creek.

For me that adds to the experience, although even I have my limits. Some are so washed out that you can't even see anything, on some the audio track is noisy that it's unbearable and still on others they do the unforgivable of using the TV Prints! What should be color, is now B&W and chopped up beyond recognition.

But over all, of the 300 B westerns I own, a good 95% percent of them are decent.

• I might give some a try? I like the Charles Starrette, William "Wild Bill" Elliott, Tom Tyler, Tim McCoy, Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams, and others. A few years ago when WalMart had those $1 DvDs, I bought about 30 or so and found most were OK in looks and sound but some were really poor prints.

My first priorities before getting the Westerns, is getting the War Movies recently released. Though im a huge Western fan, War movies will always be top on the list. However, I recently picked up about 10 Westerns, 1-2 with Audie Murphy, 3 with Burt Lancaster, and some others.

• I might give some a try? I like the Charles Starrette, William "Wild Bill" Elliott, Tom Tyler, Tim McCoy, Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams, and others. A few years ago when WalMart had those $1 DvDs, I bought about 30 or so and found most were OK in looks and sound but some were really poor prints.

My first priorities before getting the Westerns, is getting the War Movies recently released. Though im a huge Western fan, War movies will always be top on the list. However, I recently picked up about 10 Westerns, 1-2 with Audie Murphy, 3 with Burt Lancaster, and some others.

I hope I am not coming across as pushy, I just love those mill creek 50 western packs and have to try and share a little of the joy.

As for priorities, I myself prefer anything and everything Batman. So I get those and then lurk around for sales on everything else.

• Good, cause I never want to be that guy.

Heh heh, me neither but, sometimes it does not come out that way.

One sad thing I found out today about the release of: The Heroes of Telemark is that though its released in English, one of the releases is a Korean release >:-((

• Heh heh, me neither but, sometimes it does not come out that way.

One sad thing I found out today about the release of: The Heroes of Telemark is that though its released in English, one of the releases is a Korean release >:-((

Buy this DVD, Ringo. In widescreen, direct from Sony/Columbia Pictures.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Buy this DVD, Ringo. In widescreen, direct from Sony/Columbia Pictures.

Hi E.J, I am. I was going to order it today but didnt get back here in time. Deep Discount has it for about $8 bucks and some change ;-0) Im also going to order a 2 Pack which has Battle Beneath the Earth w/ Kerwin Matthews. I remember seeing h=that movie a long time ago-I dont recall it being very good but-I was younger and dumber then ;-)) The main reason im getting that one is because in order to get Yul Brynner in The Ultimate Warrior-this one comes along with it. Im also thinking of getting that Errol Flynn Adventures box set-since I have all of his other box sets and there are 4 movies ive been waiting to get my mitts on for so long ;-))

Do you have to pay shipping when ordering from Amazon? I cant remember since its been at least 5 years since I last ordered something through them.

Im going to make sure though, before i order from Deep Discount-that the copy of Telemark is the one you gave me the link to ;-)) Oh and, they told me that they have those "On Demand" titles too. They are slightly cheaper than TCM is.

• Hi E.J, I am. I was going to order it today but didnt get back here in time. Deep Discount has it for about $8 bucks and some change ;-0) Im also going to order a 2 Pack which has Battle Beneath the Earth w/ Kerwin Matthews. I remember seeing h=that movie a long time ago-I dont recall it being very good but-I was younger and dumber then ;-)) The main reason im getting that one is because in order to get Yul Brynner in The Ultimate Warrior-this one comes along with it. Im also thinking of getting that Errol Flynn Adventures box set-since I have all of his other box sets and there are 4 movies ive been waiting to get my mitts on for so long ;-))

Do you have to pay shipping when ordering from Amazon? I cant remember since its been at least 5 years since I last ordered something through them.

Im going to make sure though, before i order from Deep Discount-that the copy of Telemark is the one you gave me the link to ;-)) Oh and, they told me that they have those "On Demand" titles too. They are slightly cheaper than TCM is.

Amazon gives free shipping on orders of $20 or more. You should check out the individual sites for the Warner Archive Collection, MGM Limited Edition Collection, Columbia Classics Collection, and Universal Vault Collection. I know the Warner Archive Collection will periodically run deals on movies, back on Black Friday I took advantage of their 5-movies-for-$50 promotion that was going on and ordered a whole bunch of stuff. It at least brings the price down to a (somewhat) reasonable level.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Amazon gives free shipping on orders of $20 or more. You should check out the individual sites for the Warner Archive Collection, MGM Limited Edition Collection, Columbia Classics Collection, and Universal Vault Collection. I know the Warner Archive Collection will periodically run deals on movies, back on Black Friday I took advantage of their 5-movies-for-$50 promotion that was going on and ordered a whole bunch of stuff. It at least brings the price down to a (somewhat) reasonable level.

Hi EJ, thank you for these links. Im looking at them soon as I finish this post ;-)) Oh and, I did find out that DDDvD has the same print of Telemark as your link shows. Im ordering it first thing tomorrow. Oh and thanks for the shipping info too ;-))

Im also thinking of starting to buy some of those on demand titles too. I understand why they are so expensive but, I think it will be worth it especially if I can get some Gems in the process.