Your Most Wanted Westerns

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,760 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• What's taking Paramount so long to release this defining western from 1929?
    Fourteen years into the DVD technology, and nobody at Paramount has thought of this classic and important film yet?

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• For me it would be Westerns like: Pillars of the Sky w/ Jeff Chandler and Lee Marvin, Northwest Passage w/ Spencer Tracy, Robert Young and Walter Brennan & The Scarlet Coat with: Cornel Wilde, John McIntire and Johe Dehner. There are others but these are all that comes to my mind just now.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I want to see those, too.

But I especially want to see Pillars of the Sky which is one of the best cavalry films:

Technicolor, CinemaScope, and Dorothy Malone in support of the great Jeff Chandler. Universal must be asleep at the wheel not to release this film.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• "The Deserter" a 1971 Burt Kennedy film with a slug in the lead role, but featuring Woody Strode, Slim Pickens, Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Patrick Wayne, John Huston, Brandon DeWilde, Ricardo Montalban, Albert Salmi and Ian Bannen.

Not one of the greats but what a cast.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I know where you can get High Chaparral but it ain't authorized.

"The Deserter" a 1971 Burt Kennedy film with a slug in the lead role, but featuring Woody Strode, Slim Pickens, Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Patrick Wayne, John Huston, Brandon DeWilde, Ricardo Montalban, Albert Salmi and Ian Bannen.

Not one of the greats but what a cast.

I've always wanted to see The Deserter complete and in good quality. There was a slow-speed vhs as I recall but it was all cut-up. I agree Bekim Fehmu or whatever his name was kills the film stone cold dead. He must have been a condition of the independent finance over there in Europe. It is one of two Burt Kennedy westerns that is missing on DVD.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• All fine westerns, especially The Unforgiven (I assume the 1960 film with Burt Lancaster), but they are already released on DVD. This thread is for unreleased films that you want to see on DVD.

I want to see Nevada (1927) and The Last Bandit (1927), both Paramount silents starring Gary Cooper which have survived in reasonably good shape.

The copies I've seen may not be in the best quality, but the films do survive in better quality. They are also damn fine westerns, well writ and well-produced.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Wait a minute.

I'm confused.

How did "most wanted westerns" turn into "your favorite non-Duke westerns?" That thread has been around for a long time, but "your most wanted westerns" is a new thread about unreleased films on DVD that you want to see released.

Maybe my PC is sick again and jumbling everything together.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• All fine westerns, especially The Unforgiven (I assume the 1960 film with Burt Lancaster), but they are already released on DVD. This thread is for unreleased films that you want to see on DVD.

I'm so sorry about that, I read the topic as "Your most watched westerns" :readpaper:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Problem sorted Richard.
    Just to remind members,this thread
    is for westerns we wish released on DVD

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• pillars of the sky has been released on dvd in the uk.for me i wish they release fighting man of the plains,canadian pacific,union pacific,trooper hook,

• I want to see Ride the Man Down (Republic, 1952) on DVD. One of the best westerns of the 1950s with a literate and authentic story by Luke Short, who knew whereof he wrote:

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• How do we get 14 years into DVD technology without the release of classic John Wayne westerns? Like Red River Range (1938) and Three Texas Steers (1939):

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Come to think of it, why hasn't The New Frontier (1935), The New Frontier (1939 version), and Night Riders (1939) been released on DVD?

Who is responsible for this oversight?

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• One of my very guilty pleasures (talking about movies here) is an Italian western called "The Mercenary", starring Franco Nero and Jack Palance. It is fairly typical of the genre except for a nifty music score and a welcome sense of humor and style.
    I saw it as the last movie on a triple drive in bill including "Barquero" and "Ned Kelly" in the early seventies after several beers - I wasn't driving - so perhaps my memory is giving it more credit than it deserves.
    Still, I'd like to see it again.

We deal in lead, friend.

• No surprise, my most wanted westerns are the ones with Ben Johnson that still haven't been released on DVD:

Feature films
    Slim Carter
    War Drums
    Something Big
    Kid Blue
    Back to Back
    My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

TV
    Various episodes of Bonanza, The Virginian, Laramie, Gunsmoke
    Noon Wine
    The Monroes
    Ride a Northbound Horse
    Wild Times
    Wild Horses
    Dream West
    Bonanza: The Return

I'd like to see more William S. Hart films on DVD too, and hopefully the Warner Archive will release the rest of the Tim Holt RKO b-westerns.

I'd like Hondo and El Dorado on Blu-ray.