Actors who have played Cowboys AND Indians

There are 38 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,962 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• For the life of me, I NEVER Can remember that guys name. Another whose name I can never recall was in loads of Humphrey Bogart movies, the little actor from Hungary? the one with the bulge eyes.

Karl, you may be thnking of Peter Lorre.

Another actor who played both sides is Gilbert Roland. He was in a few westerns and played an Indian in Cheyenne Autumn. His co-star, Ricardo Montalban, is another. But I can't think of anytime he played a cowboy.

• It always seemed like Peter Lorre, would steal whatever scenehe was in.His stage presence was very remarkable.

Chester :newyear:

Peter Lorre was a formidable actor. I recently rewatched Fritz Lang's brilliant "M" in which Peter Lorre delivers an amazingly powerful performance.
    Way off topic now, it's so easy to do!
    I've been enjoying you guys educating me on all the actors who have played on both sides of the Western fence! :wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Lex Barker and Leonard Nimoy (prior to Star Trek) played both cowboys and Indians. Nimoy much later in life played Frank James in the 1994 TV movie Bonanza: Under Attack.

There was an actor named Larry Chance who from the early 50s to late 70s who due to his high-cheekboned looks played a lot of Indians -- and also cowboys, exotic foreign types, and heavies. I haven't been able to find out anything about him though I am curious. I see him in a lot of films including my most recent Western watched, Fort Massacre. He plays the Apache who is trading with the white couple and then kills the Pawnee scout with Joel McCrea's troup during an altercation.

Now that I think about it, the Pawnee scout is played by Anthony Caruso, who played his share of cowboys too.

Here are stuntmen/actors Chuck Hayward as an Indian chief's son, with Hal Needham as one of his companions on the left. Not sure who the third fellow is. This is from a Have Gun Will Travel episode called "A Head of Hair" whose main guest star was Ben Johnson. Ben never played an Indian role on screen which is kind of ironic as he was 1/16 Cherokee (I think) but back in his stuntman days he would don Indian garb to play anonymous Indian warriors in battle scenes and get shot off horses, etc.

• Karl, you may be thnking of Peter Lorre.

Another actor who played both sides is Gilbert Roland. He was in a few westerns and played an Indian in Cheyenne Autumn. His co-star, Ricardo Montalban, is another. But I can't think of anytime he played a cowboy.

Surely Montalban played a Vaquero in a few movies and I'll let you decide if the role of the Pinkerton Man in The Train Robbers counts or not. He may not have been a "cowboy" in it but he certainly wasn't an Indian either.

• As ever, thank you for adding so much to the forum Paula.
    Really insightful and two actors I was unaware of.

• Karl, you may be thnking of Peter Lorre.

Hi Wayne, that be him :-)))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Surely Montalban played a Vaquero in a few movies and I'll let you decide if the role of the Pinkerton Man in The Train Robbers counts or not. He may not have been a "cowboy" in it but he certainly wasn't an Indian either.

Hey thanks, Batjac. I forgot about The Train Robbers and yes, it does count. It was a western.

• lee van cleef in yellow tomahawk
    neville brand in cahill u.s. marshal with wayne also mohawk with scott brady.

• It always seemed like Peter Lorre, would steal whatever scenehe was in.His stage presence was very remarkable.

Chester :newyear:

Did Peter Lorre ever play in a western as a cowboy and/or indian. Can't think of any movie out there. And I must say, I haven't seen all the westerns out there. I've seen a lot. I was just curious.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Did Peter Lorre ever play in a western as a cowboy and/or indian. Can't think of any movie out there. And I must say, I haven't seen all the westerns out there. I've seen a lot. I was just curious.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Hi Hondo,
    Late in his career he was in an episode of rawhide and wagon train so is suppose that counts!

• He was in one episode of Rawhide and one of wagon train!
    Be interesting to see.:wink_smile:

You know it's funny I checked on IMDB to make sure,
    and didn't spot those two.
    I know I was looking for a known western rather then TV Western.
    However, as you say it would be interesting to see them!
    I just wonder how much of a cowboy he played.

In Rawhide (TV series)
    he played Victor Laurier
    – Incident of the Slavemaster (1960)

and in

Wagon Train (TV series) he played
    Alexander Portlass in
    – The Alexander Portlass Story (1960)

It's possible from reading that Plot Summary,
    that he could have been cowboyish in them
    but it does make me wonder!!

Best Wishes
    Keith