Besides Duke: Who are your Favourite Movie Stars?

There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,011 times. The latest Post () was by Lt. Brannigan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Of course gals and boys.
    I didn't specify as I thought the term Movie Stars would suffice.

As well it should have. Just goes to show how our sub-concious minds work. I was one of the offenders.....not one female on my first list....never even thought of it. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hi Bill, No onslaught here. Last movie I saw at theater was The Shootist. Most all of my favorites are gone also!
    As for movies I went to see women....there were only two. On was Rooster Cogburn, and I went for Katherine Hepburn, not for Duke that time. She has always been a favorite of mine....feisty yet feminine. The other was The River Wild. A bunch of us white water folks used to meet every weekend at my friend Pat's motel, Paddler's Paradise, in West, VA. There were about 40 of us who had all our own gear for the river. Although there were many women kayakers, I was the only one who could row others down the river. So, we all couldn't wait to see how well Meryl Streep did.....we had heard she did a lot of her own rowing. After a great day on the Lower New, we had dinner and set out for the movie. Although there weren't enough white water scenes for us, we were quite surprised at the way Meryl handled the oars the how comfortable she looked on the raft. Amazing considering she had only had a couple of weeks training. Someone did a great job with her unless she is just a natural!

So, those were my only two. May start going back to the theater.....have to find out if they have classics around close.

HAGO, KEITH

• IMO, a proper title for this thread would've been Who "were" your favorite movie stars? because like everyone else who has commented, almost all my favorite stars, male and female, have already met their Maker. ringo kid named almost all my favorites, most of whom have passed.

One or two of the newer ones I like are Daniel Craig, Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe and Brad Pitt.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• So here is my list as promised, I apologize for the length and any disruptions it may cause. I tried using spoiler tags, only to discover I couldn't find any.

Lee Van Cleef
    The Grand Duel
    Blood Money
    Death Rides a Horse

Tom Tyler
    Adventures of Captain Marvel
    The Phantom
    Coyote Trails

Tim McCoy
    Rough Riders Series

Buck Jones
    Rough Rider Series

Roy Rogers
    Dark Command
    Jesse James at Bay
    Son of Paleface

Sylvester Stallone

Rambo III
    Cobra
    The Expendables 2
    Rocky IV
    Avenging Angelo

Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Commando
    Raw Deal
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Last Action Hero
    Kindergarten Cop
    Eraser

Dolph Lundgren
    Missionary Man
    The Punisher
    Storm Catcher

Sean Connery
    Never Say Never Again
    The Rock
    Finding Forrester

Dwayne Johnson
    The Rundown
    The Game Plan
    Fast Five

Sonny Chiba
    Golgo 13: Assignment Kowloon
    G.I. Samurai

Jackie Chan
    The Myth
    Mr Nice Guy
    Police Story 1-5

Hugh Jackman
    X-Men
    X2: X-Men United
    Real Steel
    The Prestige
    Kate & Leopold
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Dean Martin
    Rio Bravo
    The Stooge
    Five Card Stud

Jerry Lewis
    The Bellboy
    The Errand Boy
    The Patsy
    Disorderly Orderly
    Cracking Up

Clint Eastwood
    The Pale Rider
    Bronco Billy
    The Dead Pool

Harrison Ford
    Regarding Henry
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
    Sabrina

Chuck Norris
    Braddock: Missing in Action III
    Lone Wolf McQuade
    Invasion U.S.A.

• Barbara Stanwyck
    Ingrid Bergman
    Katharine Hepburn
    Olivia de Havilland
    Grace Kelly
    Vanessa Redgrave
    Meryl Streep
    Cate Blanchette
    Kathy Bates
    Emma Stone

Montgomery Clift
    Robert Mitchum
    Cary Grant
    Ward Bond
    Sean Connery
    James Garner
    Jeff Bridges
    Liam Neeson
    Russell Crowe
    Daniel Day-Lewis
    Javier Bardem

• Hi there LT. See you listed Dino for Five Card Stud. I mentioned that a while back. I think I went to the movie and saw that about 10 times when I was young. LOVED it. I never hear it mentioned. Wonder why....thought it was a great movie. Need to see if I can find it somewhere. HAGO, KEITH

• Hi there LT. See you listed Dino for Five Card Stud. I mentioned that a while back. I think I went to the movie and saw that about 10 times when I was young. LOVED it. I never hear it mentioned. Wonder why....thought it was a great movie. Need to see if I can find it somewhere. HAGO, KEITH

Honestly I find Dean Martin a pleasure in whatever he is in, and wish I could hang out with him. Five Card Stud as much as I love it, the twist in the story is maddeningly obvious leaving the best parts Dino and Mtchum's performances, and Hathaway's direction.

• Honestly I find Dean Martin a pleasure in whatever he is in, and wish I could hang out with him. Five Card Stud as much as I love it, the twist in the story is maddeningly obvious leaving the best parts Dino and Mtchum's performances, and Hathaway's direction.

Well, I "hung out with him" as much as you can say sitting with him at Pro-Am dinners and playing golf with him at my club, "hanging out", LOL. We weren't drinking, card playing buddies or anything! But, he and Gibbons and I would usually have a drink after 18 holes. I regretted not catching him in Vegas, but don't believe he was doing that at the time I was out there. Bet he put on one HECK of a show!

Why, I don't know, but he usually came to the Springs for things like The Milton Berle Classic, (charity events where a celebrity would play with 3 folks who paid a LOT of money to play with them, LOL.....they would switch off each of the three days). Then, there was a dinner and auction where the money folks could mix with the celebs. Anyway, Dino never seemed to bring anyone. I was raffled off for the calcutta to play with one of the teams each day, (only girl and all those men....didn't mind THAT a bit, HAH!) So, I sat at one of the Dias tables.....Gibbons, if in town, would sit at the TOP dias table. So, after that one time that Dino and I sat next to each other and Jack Benny sat on the other side of me.....we just sort of always put our stuff down on the dias next to each other....(not Benny), strange, never wondered why until now. Guess we just enjoyed each other's company the few times a year we ran into one another. Hmmm, seems like we always made arrangements for Dino to come play at my club, Mission Hills the next day or so......for free. I just thought he was being nice figuring since my guy, Gibbons, was not available for me to sit with that he would sit with me. Who cares, he was a super nice, very funny dude. I am certain you would have greatly enjoyed his company LT. I think everyone did....except for Jerry, LOL........animosity there for a LONG time. Thank goodness he didn't come to the pro-ams!

When I first started here, I hadn't realized that I knew some folks who played with Duke.....even forgot that Frank had been in westerns! Well, it has been 30 or so years ago, and they were just regular people in our crowd. Anyway, I have never seen him laugh so hard....even on his show, when Jack Benny destroyed Jack Carter that time that Benny was sitting was us. Dino had to explain it to me, because I didn't understand why it was so darn funny........the whole place gave a standing ovation and laughed forever! Funny, now that I know WHY it was. But, Dino was hilarious just trying to get out the explanation while he was laughing so hard and tears were just streaming down his face.....oh for a picture of that!
    OK, DID it again..........sorry. I am getting much better at doing that on regular emails. But, although I do not really KNOW you, I can't imagine your not really enjoying being "buddies" with him.
    Now, please tell me what you meant by this:
    the twist in the story is maddeningly obvious leaving the best parts Dino and Mtchum's performances, and Hathaway's direction. I got lost somehow, LOL! Keith

• Like your last choice there RK. Nice of you.....I have to watch something with him in it! Keith

Thank you Keith, and I could go on almost forever on my likes too. Only trouble is--is I forgot a lot of names and would have to write them all down as I come to them ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• My Olivia de Havilland post disappeared. Olivia is my all time most favorite by far. Im growing into being a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck because of her being in movies like: Ball of Fire where she was (tsssssst0 VERY hot--as well as in Titanic (1953) and was still very beautiful.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• My Olivia de Havilland post disappeared. Olivia is my all time most favorite by far. Im growing into being a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck because of her being in movies like: Ball of Fire where she was (tsssssst0 VERY hot--as well as in Titanic (1953) and was still very beautiful.

Olivia de Havilland had a nobility and purity about her on film which no matter how much acting training you have, you either have it or not.
    It's hardly surprising her best performances, imo, where as royalty or in aristocratic roles.
    The films she made with Errol Flynn still remain some of my favourite films of all time.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"