Western Story

There are 108 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 26,629 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The sun was low in the sky as the three men rode into town, a slight breeze made a sagebrush roll across the horses path. Walsh looked around and noticing the saloon at the end of the street said "Lets get a drink"
    As they walked into the saloon the bar fell quiet. Walsh put his double loop winchester on the bar. "Whiskey and three glasses - and leave the bottle"

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• as the three weary travellers stood at the bar drinking their whiskey a voice broke the deafening silence. "Dear God what's that smell must have stud in summit when i came in"
    Slowly the three men turned and..............

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• standing in front of them was a woman. Dressed in a dance hall skirt and low cut blouse that had clearly seen better days, with straggly blonde hair and an unlit cheroot dangling from her heavilly made up lips. Walsh guessed her age at late thirties. "My names Kate she drawled, who are ya and wadda want?

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• "Hey lady we don't want any trouble we just came in for a quiet drink maybe some grub and the company of a pretty lady or two"
    "yeah" said the woman
    "Since there's no ladies about you'll have to do" replied Yates
    with that the woman walked up to Yates and..............

• slapped him. Turning to Walsh she said,
    "You're different" and kissed him.
    Walsh could smell the rouge and cheap scent but responded.
    Kate then said.
    "My brother runs the hotel at the end of the street there's room for ya all.
    At two o'clock in the morning Kate woke drowsily from a heavy sleep, holding her Walsh said casually, "I'm looking for an old coyote named McWhirter, you ever heard of him?
    Kate thought for a moment. "Why he's ....

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• the town drunk, you'll either find him in jail sleeping it off or at the end of town curled up with an empty bottle in some ditch".
    Walsh pulled on his pants ............

• and Kate kick him between his legs. "Whatcha doing, I'm not finished with you yet"
    said, Kate.

Walsh then caught his breath, turned around and ......

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• "if you worn't a lady i'd.. what the hell "
    Walsh swung and knocked Kate off her feet and then ran out the room clutching his shirt,boots and hat.........

• Yates and Flint were just coming out of the dining room as Walsh reached the bottom of the stairs behind him they could hear the ravings of a demented Kate casting doubt on the parentage of anybody who had had anything to do with Walsh.
    Jacob motioned quickly towards the door.
    "What did you find out? where are we going"? Flint asked.
    Struggling to get his shirt and kneckerchief on Walsh replied.
    "We're going to look in some ditches"
    Ignoring the look of puzzlement on his companions faces, Walsh continued.
    We are looking for a grizzled mean old prospector named McWhirter who might just have the means of making us very rich. .......

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• "we orta split up" said Flint
    "ok Yates you tak the South i'll tak north"
    "oh ok i'll tak everywhich way" interupted Flint
    "first one to find him bring to the livery stable at the end of town" continued Walsh.
    "watch your rear jacob" added Yates
    Walsh turned and gave a look that could............

• strip the paint off walls.
    keep your eyes pelled for trouble, says walsh, we don't want others finding out what we are about till it's to late to do anything about it.
    they depart through the doors to the dark street when.....

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• all is still they go their seperate ways. As Yates walks slowly down the street he keeps his hand on his pistol, always expecting the unexpected. Suddenly as he passed a dark alley between the saloon and the general store he heard a noise. taking out his pistol he slowly walked into the alley. ....

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• two dark shapes apear from the shadows as Walsh slowy approaches them. One of them strikes a match and then lights a cigar the glow from the match partially lightens the face of the first man.Walsh recognises him from the saloon Walsh tightens his grip on...........

• grip on his colt.
    "Hear your looking for McWhirter".
    "I should have killed that woman", Walsh muttered under his breath.
    "Who wants to know"?
    The man was tall, Walsh estimated about six feet, his companion stayed in the shadow.
    Walsh was curt, "Hey you get out of the shadow, into the light where I can see ya"
    The tall man continued.
    We wuz jest wondering why three guys would be interested in an old soak like McWhirter"
    Behind the two men Walsh noticed a third shadowy figure . Friend or foe he wondered. .............

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• a strong smell of cheap scent wafted towards Walsh.
    then came a voice he recognised "you shudda stayed with me big boy".
    Jacob felt a sudden pain and burning in his shoulder he dropped to one knee and then he............

• knew no more as everything went black.
    Meanwhile at the livery stable Yates stood smoking a cigerette look quickly around him, he heard a noise and looked anxiously at the stable door. An elderly dishevelled, unshaven shabbily dressed man entered followed by Flint.
    "Are you McWhirter "? Yates asked.
    "Have you gotta drink?" the man replied.
    "Your'e McWhirter, although god knows why your'e so important.
    Flibnt looked around worried
    "Now all we need is Walsh, and get out of this dammed place". .....

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Yates stood a while and notice Flint's boots they seemed to have, what looked like blood on them. There was a faint smell of scent and tabacco that followed him into the livery.He wondered why Flint was looking so worried he...........

• just as Flint was going to answer there was a groan from the doorway Yates turned
    and to his surprise a wounded a beaten figure appeared and then fell to the ground.
    Yates ran to the slump figure he recognised the clothing the mans face was covered in blood .It was Walsh , suddenly Yates looked at Flint for a fleeting second Yates caught a smile on Flints face.
    "Is he"..Is he DEAD!?asked Flint.

• "No, not yet but, but he will be if we remain in this god forsken rat hole".
    Pointing to McWhirter Yates said,
    "Get him ready to ride, I'll clean Jacob up, and we'll vamoose".
    Flint hurried to get the horses saddled.
    "There's an old army post about twenty miles from here, we'll make for that."
    Briefly wondering how Flint knew of the whereabouts of the post, just as quickly Yates took the thought out of his head.
    Now cleaned up as best as he was able Yate lifted Walsh onto his horse. Strapping Walsh to his saddle, and taking the old timer on Flint's horse the three rode out of town.
    But as they went other eyes had followed their departure.
    In an upstairs room, silently closing the curtains one onlooker turned and slowly . .......

Walk Tall - Talk Low