Lord Of The Rings

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,736 times. The latest Post () was by ShortGrub.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I wanted to start a new topic that has my curiosity going. You mention on another thread about the two Lord of the Rings movies, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers and the benefits of having the extended versions. What would make me want to have possion of those two movies as opposed to have the other versions? How close is it to the book? I've seen the two on DVD, but not extended, so I just wanted to know something about it.

It has been attacked by groups for its satanic theme, but I'm not buying that at all, or should I?

Cheers Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo,
    not having read the book I approached the Fellowship of the Ring without knowing what to expect. I found it enjoyable and slightly mindblowing.
    The Twin Towers extended version I watched one Sunday afternoon. It was long but helped explain the plots and made the Return of the King easier to follow and enjoy.
    I think that if I watched the extended version of the Fellowship of the Ring it might have been easier still.

My son is a LOTR's freak and I asked him if he thought it was satanic or just fantasy.

He said fantasy with no references at all to satanism or satanic issues. The slant he put on was in today's climate as an environmental work:

i.e. The good guys working the soil fighting with sword and shield, bow and arrow, lance and horse, and the bad guys figthing with exposives, weapons of mass destruction and burning forests to fuel their machines.

He says that the first two stories are as true to the book as possible, Having not read the book and now seeing the completed films I have no inkling to, I'll take his word.
    If you haven't seen the Return of the King or anyone reading this hasn't I am not going to be a spoiler, except to say every critic I have read say that the film is a must see.

For the record in the Fellowship of the Ring there are nineteen extended scenes and six new scenes which extend the movie by 30 mins.

In the Two Towers again there are nineteen extended scenes sixteen new scenes which extend the film by forty two minutes.

If you like intrisic value both of the extended versions in the UK at least, come in presentations boxes green for the Fellowship, Red for the Two Towers

and if you buy the delux version of The Fellowship of the Ring you get two free Ardonaths
    And a free model of Gollum with the Twin Towers.

I hope this helps
    Best Regards
    Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Satanic, man people are just nuts. The movies are simply good entertainment and ones that fantasy fans world wide have been waiting for. I have both the ext versions ofthe 1st & 2nd movies and they explain in detail more of whats happening. My wife who dislikes these types of movies, really enjoyed them and we went to see The Return of the King last Tueday and she loved it. I have seen it 2 times now and it still has some very emotional parts, I know its sounds sappy, but the movies to me have alot more to do with friendship and the bonds that are there then satanism, man some people love to drum up controversy. I would get the ext versions of the films as well due to the extras in the other 2 dvds that show the making of each film. They are excellent buys.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I don't know how close these movies are to the books, as after 35 years, my memory has faded a bit. In watching the movies, it did tend to bring back bits of what I had read in the books, and I feel these movies are not necessarily satanic, because they tend to emphasize the good vs evil.

We have a 15 year old son, who loves all these movies, and was at the midnight opening of each one, and also owns the extended versions of the first two movies. There is a bunch of extra material on the making of the movies, etc. and as far he is concerned, it is well worth the extra $$ for the extended version. They are fairly reasonable at Costco, don't know how their price compares to Deep Discount DVD. :)

Chester

• Thanks to all who responded. I have the DVD's of Lord of the Rings, but not the extended versions. I really enjoyed seeing these movies, and the benefit of the subtitles to fully understand what they are saying. I needed this because of I can't understand the accents, and not without southern slang. :lol: But these movies were very enjoyable, and I was just curious about converting to the extended versions. <_< But you all made me curious a little more, about it. SO if any more of you can comment, and tell me more about the benefits of converting, that would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Have a grand day.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Al I can really add is that if there were a few things that are not clear while watching the moviesand you did'nt read the books then you might get a better understanding of what happens at certain times. Plus there are a few things that are not said, like how old Aragorn is, I will not tell you unless you want to know but you learn about his age in the 2nd movie, The Two Towers. Also, if you wana see where the filming took place they have nice documentaries on that as well, 2 disks in each ext version to keep you occupied for quite sometime.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I recently watched the whole trilogy with my DVDs and found it more enjoyable than the first time around. A lot of artistry went into the making of "The Lord of the Rings" and this is reflected in the finished project.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I enjoyed the movies in the theater and when they were released on DVD. I also purchased the extended versions and have enjoyed the extra scenes.
    JRR Tolkien had nothing to do with satanism, so how anyone felt the movies were satanic is simply stretching it. Tolkien was a devout Catholic, with a deep faith in Christ.
    He had two very good friends who he did tea with, C.S. Lewis, and Dorothy Sayers. Lewis is know for his Screwtape Letters and Sayers for her mystery books. Both devout Christians who Tolkien influenced greatly.