New! Western Story, A Bit Of Fun

There are 143 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,567 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Gang missed doing the story quite enjoyed it i have two ideas if anyones interested.Yes i got to admit it i got hooked.so if you want to join int pick the one that sound more interesting.
    Here goes :stunned:

1. It was 1873 the west was still wild and woolley buffalo still roamed the plains and Indians were still on the warpath and outlaws were still hiding in the mountains.
    Young Englishman accompanied by his dog an English bull terrier called Roscoe headed west searching for a new beginning in the new country.
    All he had was the clothes on his back and a strong horse and a cow and her bull calf tied to his covered wagon. He’d been travelling for some weeks he was tired and hungry and decided to make camp by a near by stream then….
    or

2.It had been two years since Walsh and Yates had split the gold and headed their own way. Yates decide to leave Sonara in a hurry and decide to head east several days went by and as night fell he spotted a camp fire not far ahead
    As he rode into the camp he spotted a figure pouring himself some coffee. “Sure smells good”
    “Hell no! I recognise that voice” interupted the stranger…

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• It had been two years since Walsh and Yates had split the gold and headed their own way. Yates decide to leave Sonara in a hurry and decided to head east. Several days went by and as night fell he spotted a camp fire not far ahead
    As he rode into the camp he spotted a figure pouring himself some coffee. “Sure smells good”.
    “Hell no! I recognise that voice” interupted the stranger.
    Yates dismounted and walked over to the fire to where Walsh was standing holding out a cup of steaming black coffee.
    The two men shook hands. Yates noticed that Jacob had aged in the two years they had been apart, but then hell, he guessed that he didn't look so young anymore.
    Sitting together they began to fill in the missing two years.
    "What are you doing out here in the middle of nowhere Jacob?" Yates asked his old partner.
    Walsh took a long pull from his cup.
    "After we split I sorta bummed my way around doin nothin in particular, just spending money like there was no tomorrow. Then I wised up and looked about.
    I think I saw a bargain advertised, and I went for it".
    Walsh paused making certain that he had Yates undivided attention.
    "I'm glad we've met again, perhaps it was meant to be. I'd sorta like you to come in with me".
    Yates was all ears.
    "What have you bought?" He asked eagerly. ........

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• “Well” Walsh hesitated before continuing
    “Oh no please don’t tell me you’ve bought a damned mine” Yates replied
    “No” answered Walsh
    “Thank God for that” Yates sighed
    “No better than that I’ve gone and bought a…

• Freightline".
    Yates paused for a moment,
    "A what?"
    Walsh smiled.
    "I know it sounds insane but I have bought a ftreight haulage company". seeing the look on Yates face he continued.
    "Its in Colorado, a little place called Tuba City".
    "And it's a freight line" said Yates almost in disbelief, and continued.
    "And you've bought it".
    "I couldn't resist it" said walsh eagerly. "It was a real bargin".
    "I bet it was" thought Yaes.
    After a pause walsh turned to Yates and said.
    "Are you with me? Or do I go alone?
    Standing up Yates offered Walsh his hand.
    "For god only knows why I'm with you pardner".
    Five days later the pair arrived in Tuba City. Riding down what passed for the main street they came to the bank. Dismounting Walsh said,
    Ive got to see the bank manager, a man called O'Brian.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• as the two men walked into the bank they were met by the manager O'Brian, a tall slim man with dark swept back hair and a small moustache.He shook hands with Walsh who then introduced Jess.
    "So you've bought ole Ben Horrock's freight line then"
    Walsh nodded,
    "That's right I have"
    O'Brian chuckled.
    Whats so funny"? said Yates.
    "I'm sorry", said O'Brian,"It's just they say there's one born every minute and I'm looking at two of you".
    Quickly handing Walsh the deeds he said.
    "You are now the owner of the Horrocks Haulage company, and good luck".
    Taking the papers, Walsh asked O'Brian when they would meet Horrocks.
    "You won't" was O'Brians unexpected repy.
    "Ole Ben was killed six months ago when a gang of outlaws led by a man they call the Wrecker held up his wagon. Ben tried to stop them and they plugged him full of lead".
    "Of course "O'Brian continued.
    "Ben had had a lot of bad luck, that was the fourth time his wagons had been held up in a month".
    As they left the bank Walsh looked at Yates
    "What have we let ourselves in for"?

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• "What have we let ourselves in for"? Pondered Yates
    "One hell of a ride" Walsh said
    Yates looked at Walsh shook his head and started mumble to himself.
    “Do you know anything about hauling stuff”? Asked Yates
    “Nope” replied Walsh
    “ How hard can it be moving stuff from one place to another ” continued Walsh as he wandered over to the saloon?
    “Are you cumin “? Asked Walsh
    Yates stood there in shock still scratching his head what had he let himself into?
    He picked up his stride and caught up to Walsh and gave him a crooked smile and then they….

• went for a drink.
    Later fortified witrh a whiskey or two they left the saloon and madfe their way down the main street. Eventually they came to a ramshackle building with a crooked sign saying Horricks Haulage. Opening the door they went in.
    The scene that greeted them was one of utter devastion.
    "It gets worse" said Yates.
    Hearing a noise behind them both men turned quickly.
    "So your the galoots who have bought my fathers freightline" ......

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• said a good looking girl once you got pass the fact that she was wearing mens pants, a buckskin jacket and holding the biggest bull whip that they had ever seen.

"ugh" gulp yates, " it sure looks that way"
    "so is there anything we need to know" asked walsh
    "there sure is " replied the girl
    "well first of all let me introduces ourselves to you, that's yates and i'm walsh, how do you do"
    "so you think your man enough to run this outfit do you, well let me tell you, you won't get far without the help of kit, that's me. i know all the runs and i can handle the teams as well as a man"
    with this yates looked at walsh thinking.......

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I've never seen a man that looked like you.
    Walsh winked at Yates, then turning to Kit and smiling he said,
    "Young missy, welcome to the Walsh, Yates and Horrocks Freight Line".
    Turning back to Yates he continued.
    "Jess I think we're in business". .. ...

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• “Well kit where’s our stock” asked an enthusiastic Walsh
    Kitty took them out the back took them to an old ramshackle of a barn,
    “Before we go in boys, have either of you had any experience of freighting”? Asked Kit
    “Of course we do” Walsh said lying through his teeth
    “Don’t we Yates “as he nudged Yates with his elbow Yates just nodded and went with the flow.
    “Good “replied Kit as she open the barn door.
    “Well here it is boys welcome to Walsh, Yates and Horrocks Freight line”
    The boys steped forward and took look and was..

• dumbfounded. In front of them was a battered old costatoga with only three wheels atatached to the frame, and alongside it an elderly looking freight wagon which had clearly seen better days. The tack and harness was in no better shape, the straps were worn and brittle and as Walsh jerked the leather rein instead of a reassuring snap - the harness broke in half.
    Slowly Walsh looked around him.
    "Well there's one thing", he said. " It caint get any worse".
    Then looking a Kit, questioningly, he continued, "Caint it"?

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Kit pointed to a doorway, which lead to a corral behind the barn. Walsh and Yates hesitated before opening the door. What greeted them was another blow to there already dwindling dreams of becoming wealthy businessmen.
    For they’re before them stood…

• an empty stable.
    "Well" said Kit and hesitated.
    Turning on her,
    "Well" snapped Walsh.
    "WEe lost the mules, and we aint got no drivers".
    Walsh took a deep breath.
    "Perhaps were not in business yet, but we will be".
    In the next few weeks under Walsh's determination and Kit's local knowledge of the town a transformation took place.
    Wagons and mules were brought and drivers were hired. The outfit began to take on a professional look.
    Kit explained the possibilities of the freight line.
    "This is Colorado "she patiently explained to Walsh,
    "Copper Country, we get a good living moving copper from the mines to the refinary. And as nothing has moved in six months, theres a lot of copper waiting to be moved".
    After weeks of hard work now satisfied that they were on the right track Walsh decided to celebrate.
    Turning to his assembled company he said .
    "Were going to get drunk".
    As Yates and Walsh walked into the saloon they were aware of a sudden hush. They looked around and noticed two men standing at the bar while three others were playing cards.
    A tall man with a scar running down his cheek stood up as the pair walked in.
    "So your the fools who own the freight line".
    Walsh ignored the man and ordered two whiskeys.
    "I'm talking to yopu mister" said the tall man.
    Yates turned round.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• “Hey mister we don’t want any trouble”
    “Where celebrating let me buy you a drink” Yates offered the man a glass .The big man took the glass smiled, by this time Walsh moved to one side he new what was coming .The man smile showing his brown teeth and through the whiskey into the face of Yates. Walsh made a swing for the man, he caught Walsh’s hand and through him over the table as the man's guard was down Yates caught him right on his chin the guy shook his head smile and spat out a bloody tooth.
    “Hell no!”
    “Hell yes “ replied the big man as he grabbed Yates and…

• and threw him out of the window. yates picked himself up and was in two minds as to whether or not he should rejoin the fight when, from down the street came the drivers.

"are you here to help" called out yates, "if you are then walsh is inside and needs our help."
    "hell yes " replied one of the drivers whos name was tiny.
    tiny had a smile on his face "we can't let you get beat on we need the work"
    "come on fellows it's time we earned our pay"

so into the saloon they went to finish it.
    the first thing they saw when they walked in was......

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Walsh being held by two of the card players while the man with the scar, who was obviously the leader of the group, was about to batter the living daylights out of him.
    Letting out a fierce rebel yell Yates launched himself into the fray followed by the drivers
    Distracted by Yates intervention, one of the men holding Walsh eased his grip sufficiently to allow his captive to wriggle free, and immediately picking up an empty whiskey bottle Walsh brought it down on the others man's head laying him low.
    He was now free to concentrate on scarface.
    Deciding that the Marquis of Queensbury had no place in the saloon at this particular moment, Walsh kicked his assailant in the stomach and as scarface went down, he picked up a nearby chair and broke it over the mans back.
    Scarface lay motionless for a brief moment before struggling to his feet. Looking round him he could see his companions were in a similar state and immediately noticed the doubled barrelled shotgun that Kit was holding and pointing at his head.
    "I suggest you and your buddies git out of town." Walsh said quietly,
    "And", he added menacingly, " leave your guns".
    Unbuckling their holsters and dropping them on to the saloon floor, scarface began to lead his men out. At the door he halted.
    "You are going to live just long enough to regret this day", he snarled.
    When all was quiet Walsh looked around, and turning to his men.
    "You've proved that at last we are a team, tomorrow we start out out for Copper Canyon. But today we'll get drunk."

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Next morning hung over and the worst for wear Walsh, Yates and his team of drivers set out for Copper Canyon. There were two men to each wagon a driver and someone riding shotgun there was Kit and Walsh in number one, Yates and tiny in number two, big bob and little bob in three Roscoe and Pablo in four following on behind was cookie who was a mean old grouch of a man bald and toothless, who supplied the grub on the journey. The teamsters didn’t know what tasty gut wrenching food cookie had waiting for them as they chowed down.

• Watching them ride out of town was another figure. When the wagons were no more than trail dust on the horizon. he mounted his horse and set out for the hills.

In a cabin high in the hills Slim 'scarface' McCoy sat with the other four members of his gang. All were bruised from the previous days fight, and all were nervous.
    Hearing a horse approaching Slim stood up but before he could move the door opened and a man entered.

Nodding recognition Slim noted that his boss - the outlaw known by many as the Wrecker, was not in a very good mood.

"What in hell was that fuss in the saloon yesteday all about? He demanded angrily.
    "We was just joshing boss, and it got out of hand".
    "Well don't let it happen again", the Wrecker snapped back.
    "Slim attempted to appease his boss.
    "Just say the word and we'll settle them varmits for good".
    The wrecker smashed Slim to the floor.
    "You darned fool"! he shouted.
    "You'll go nowhere near that outfit until I say so".
    Relenting slightly and almost talking to himself, he continued.
    "I've got a major plan that will make us rich, and I need that outfit".
    Looking at the gang, the said
    "And I'll kill anyone of you if you get in the way of me achieving that plan".

Walk Tall - Talk Low