True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 265,157 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Oh well, I predicted earlier that the hoity-toitys in Hollyweird would probably give the Oscars to movies that don't interest me in the least. But since I stopped watching the presentations anyway about the time Bob Hope stopped emceeing them, it shouldn't bother me that much. Still, would be nice to see the a decent Western like NTG win some of the more prestigious awards.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• It would be nice to see more westerns made, there there have been very few off the top of my head the last one i can think of is Unforgiven, I am a sci-fi fan as well and I saw a preview for a new Harrison Ford movie called Cowboys and Alien's I thought it looked interesting,

• This mean streak in me hopes Bridges does not win the Oscar as I don't want him to take the shine off Duke's triumph.

Rob,
    I don't think Bridges would so much detract from Duke's achievement as he would complement it.

I don't know if you've seen the new film yet but believe me, Bridges turns in a very believable performance as the tough old lawman "Rooster" J. Cogburn.

I doubt there's a member of our forum who loves, admires and respects John Wayne more than I do but I have to give credit where credit is due and I must admit, Bridges performed magnificently. As you know, the Duke's overall performance was sort of lighthearted - Bridge's portrayal is much more serious but shines nevertheless.

• It would be nice to see more westerns made, there there have been very few off the top of my head the last one i can think of is Unforgiven, I am a sci-fi fan as well and I saw a preview for a new Harrison Ford movie called Cowboys and Alien's I thought it looked interesting,

Not to drift anymore off topic, dare I metion,
    Open Range..2003

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Not to drift even further off course, but let's not forget 3:10 to Yuma (2007) or Seraphim Falls (2006). And the TV mini-series Broken Trail (2006).

I'm hoping, as we all do, that the popularity of TNTG does show the Studios that there is still a thirst for good westerns out there.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• hi,,, About the True Grit remake (or whatever). I do not plan to see it as I saw it already with Duke in it. I am sure Bridges is a good actor but unfortunately I will see is as he is playing a John Wayne character he made famous. They blew it with 2 different Stagecoach remakes, and James Arness tried with Red River and Alamo (both bad) and Disney a couple of years later with The Alamo,,,all not well.. Not a good streak for the re make folks..........Next thing we will see,,a Searchers disaster ?

• It is and will always be a John Waynes movie, I might see the new version, but I cant keep imagine Jeff in this role, though he do play drunks very good!!

monsieur, you are lulu!

• EJ,
    I know it’s impolite to ridicule other peoples’ deeply-held beliefs but I’m a plain-spoken fellow and have always believed in saying what I mean and meaning what I say. So let me just say this; there are people on this board, and everyone knows who they are, who obviously believe that John Wayne was some sort of demigod. He wasn’t. He was a flesh-and-blood human being with all the vices and virtues of other human beings. Just because all of us like his films and the image of strength, dignity and courage he projected does not mean that we must establish a cult dedicated to the Great God Duke. He’d be the first to reject such an idea.

Perhaps we should suggest to Kevin that he post a shrine page so that those who visit the site and who worship the Man can genuflect every time they come aboard.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the incoming. ;)

To those of you who insist you'll forego seeing the NTG because to do so would besmirch the Duke's good name, let me call your attention to a post of mine that was made several years ago.

What you're doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. The NTG is not, repeat not, a great Western but it definitely is a good Western worth seeing.

• To those of you who insist you'll forego seeing the NTG because to do so would besmirch the Duke's good name, let me call your attention to a post of mine that was made several years ago.

What you're doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. The NTG is not, repeat not, a great Western but it definitely is a good Western worth seeing.

Stumpy.
    I could not have said it any better.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Stumpy.
    I could not have said it any better.

Thank you, Bill.

I just get a bit upset with what I think are unreasonable attitudes held by some of our participants. As I said in the post I quoted, Duke would be the first to reject those attitudes.
    Jim

• To those of you who insist you'll forego seeing the NTG because to do so would besmirch the Duke's good name, let me call your attention to a post of mine that was made several years ago.

Jim,
    thanks for searching your old discussion on this,
    and I have moved the new posts over to here where the
    the new discussion is taking place.
    I agree with you both and although having not seen the movie,
    this was my previous post

Being in the UK, I have not had the pleasure of seeing this movie.
    I will say this, we must treat the two movies, the original and this one as for what they are,
    they are two seperate movies and must be seen as that.

The new movie does not in anyway tarnish the legacy or image of Duke,
    and if it's being does in fact generate interest in the Western genre,
    then I am sure Duke would look down on it favourably.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks very much for moving the posts, Keith. Since it concerned the NTG, I wanted to do the same thing but didn't know how.

BTW, Keith, I thought someone (Todd from Minnesota?) had posted a link (which I didn't open) that supposedly said the NTG would open in the UK on 16 January. Or was that just a figment of my imagination?

Another BTW, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about Duke approving of the new movie if it generated interest in Westerns.

Edited 2 times, last by Stumpy ().

• Thanks very much for moving the posts, Keith. Since it concerned the NTG, I wanted to do the same thing but didn't know how.

BTW, Keith, I thought someone (Todd from Minnesota?) had posted a link (which I didn't open) that supposedly said the NTG would open in the UK on 16 January. Or was that just a figment of my imagination?

No Jim, you're not losing your memory,
    NTG is now released in the UK cinemas,
    and I will try and see it when I return.

Looks like January 14th is the UK relase date.

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.…%E2%80%93-true-grit-12813

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• First off welcome to this forum.
    But I,am a little confused as to who made the mistake. Not the Coen brothers. Because they have a huge hit and a movie that is up for ten academy awards.
    Look nobody can replace John Wayne his image will always be bigger then life. But in this case he was giving his version of(Rooster) a character from a novel.As does Bridges in the new version. Both are a little different then the Rooster in the novel. In the novel Rooster is in his late forties with a walrus moustaches, unwashed and drunk much of the time. Do you think no one should have ever played Hamlet after Laurence Olivier. Or no James Bond after Connery? You may like one better then the other, but that does not made the other one bad.

Understood. Connery is not Wayne. I think the remakes are akin to trying to redo Bogart movies. Harrison Ford and Robert Mitchum both found out what a train wreck that is. There are very few who are legendary enough to say don't mess with their stuff- The Duke and Bogart are in a VERY select few.

• Understood. Connery is not Wayne. I think the remakes are akin to trying to redo Bogart movies. Harrison Ford and Robert Mitchum both found out what a train wreck that is. There are very few who are legendary enough to say don't mess with their stuff- The Duke and Bogart are in a VERY select few.

Its funny you should bring up Bogart. Because Duke did a remake of sort of a Bogart movie. He even had the same female lead.The African Queen/ Rooster Cogburn and the Lady. If you don't want to see NTG don't go. But criticize a film after you have seen it.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Its funny you should bring up Bogart. Because Duke did a remake of sort of a Bogart movie. He even had the same female lead.The African Queen/ Rooster Cogburn and the Lady. If you don't want to see NTG don't go. But criticize a film after you have seen it.

So I admit I'm a film snob. I am currently working on 3 screenplay collaborations with an independent film company owner in California. There is so little good stuff in film, that when we see someone iconic like The Duke or Bogart come along its very noteworthy. I'm not in love with all of John Wayne's stuff. I thought that McQ was abysmal and I have it listed on my "Top 10 worst late-career performances" on my FB page, along with Bogart's "we're no angels". But even The Dukes early stuff can be enjoyable, like Shadow of the Eagle. Hollywood used to be about craft, quality, plot, depth... all those intangibles that make a "movie" a "film". Now, very few movies even reach up for a high mark. Its about $$$. I will not be rewarding them with my money on this one.

Again, from a professional writers perspective, so I am sure I am more critical than most. And I think he should have received the Award for the Shootist, instead of True Grit. But at that time, Hollywood didn't know that the Shootist was coming, and they had to award him for something for his body of work before they lost him. Sounds cynical I know, but Hollywood deserves very little credit nowadays.

On the brighter side, Hollywood made 5 amazing westerns withing a short time frame that I consider the best ever: Rio Bravo, The Gunfighter, High Noon, Magnificent 7 and Winchester 73. But it was not my intent to hijack this thread. I could talk film all day long.