There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,327 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hondo,
    Are you familiar with the circumstances surrounding your namesake film? If you aren't, you may wanna pick another namesake. :lol:

Geraldine Page was apparently a real slob, with horrible-looking teeth (lots of cavities, which required much dental work before she could even play in the picture), never bathed (she reportedly stank so much that John and many other cast members avoided her presence whenever possible), and had such loose morals that she was sleeping with all the male cast members who could stand her odor.

The film itself has never been on my list of favorite John Wayne movies. It was 3-D, which IMO was just a gimmick, and the plotline was pretty thin, I thought. "Shane", which was also made in 1953 and had a similar plot, was the much superior movie, I thought. Or it would have been if they'd just gotten rid of that kid. :lol:

"Hondo" was one of the first films produced by the partnership of Wayne-Fellows and I thought left a lot to be desired.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy,

The film Hondo like The High and the Mighty and Island in the sky has a certain mystique in that for many years it was one of the Holy Grail of Duke's films. It unavailablilty made it a must have for Duke fans. What is happening now is that people who have seen the High and the Mighty are now criticsing it content and its worth as a film. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    When Hondo was released on video in the United Kingdom Michael Wayne and his family attended the initial screening of the picture at the British Film Institute in London.

What should also be considered is John Waynes least successful sustained period as a box office star was around the 1950's, Jet Pilot, The Conqueror, The Barbarian and the Geisha, all films considered to have been box office flops, various films where he didn't appear in costume punctuated by 'The Searchers', Hondo, and ending with Rio Bravo'.

The following article was written around 1954 for Picturegoer magazine.

And asking someone to change his name for a failure what wasn't?

What happened to life liberty freedom of speech and moms apple pie?

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Mar 5 2004, 09:54 AM
    What should also be considered is John Waynes least successful sustained period as a box office star was around the 1950's, ....................The Barbarian and the Geisha, all films considered to have been box office flops, various films where he didn't appear in costume punctuated by 'The Searchers', Hondo, and ending with Rio Bravo'.

Now, c'mon, Arthur, "Barbarian and the Geisha" was one of my favorite John Wayne movies. I liked it much better than "Hondo", or even "High and the Mighty"

I always did go against the grain though :D

Addressing the meat of your post; I'm not sure I agree that Page's performance in "Hondo" was Oscar worthy but I'll admit she did an adequate job. But I know she was primarily a Broadway stage actress.

However, I thought she was wonderful in the role for which she won an Oscar, which was "The Trip to Bountiful".

• Well, we've got a few things to add here.

First of all, that writer in Picturegoer magazine certainly had an ax to grind against Geraldine Page. I've never read such a derogatory piece <_< .

Stumpy, you might find the following threads and posts interesting reading:

Hondo vs. Shane

A pertinent post regarding Geraldine Page. . .

A sort of funny post . . . that relates to all this . . .

Personally, I thought John Wayne did a great job as Hondo, and I would be proud to have that name. After all, our Hondo didn't go for the name Geraldine . . . . :P

Chester :newyear:

• Well, it appears I plowed some ground that had already been turned over, doesn't it? Didn't know y'all had already discussed the relative merits of "Hondo" vs "Shane", and the hygienic shortcomings of Miss Page.

Well, at any rate, I still like "Shane" much better than "Hondo", even with the aggravating performance of Brandon de Wilde in the former.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Mar 6 2004, 04:31 AM
    Well, it appears I plowed some ground that had already been turned over, doesn't it? Didn't know y'all had already discussed the relative merits of "Hondo" vs "Shane", and the hygienic shortcomings of Miss Page.

Hey, Stumpy, there are an awful lot of pages of threads to plow through. It just happened that you stirred up enough vivid memories for some of us who have been hanging around longer, that we knew it was there and could dredge it up for you :D .

I guess if you had limitless time, you could go back to the end and work your way to the beginning . . . :stunned: . . . hm-m-m-m, limitless time . . . I don't know anybody with that much time.

Chester :newyear: