Question For Gunfight/old West Reenactors

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,058 times. The latest Post () was by William T Brooks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Maybe one of you guys can help me out... I've just been cast in a stage play, in a western, playing the part of one of the good guys, a sheriff. The character carries a .45 revolver... I have to supply my own costume, so I'm buying a blank firing old west replica of a Colt peacemaker. Now I know about the real guns, but have never dealt with the blank firing kind! I've found, on the web, .380 caliber and the .22 caliber replicas. Are there any experts out there that can tell me anything about these? Will they look real? (The director and writers are sticklers for authenticity) Is there a place I can get one a decent price? etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just would like to know about this before I make a purchace!

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, The Play is a revival of the "Hopalong Cassidy" character, and called, "Hopalong Cassidy Meets the Ghost Riders", I play an ex Bar-20 rider, turned sheriff named Lucky Jenkins. The play will be the last two weekends in Oct., if you're in the North Texas/Southern Oklahama area, it would be good to see you there. They haven't updated the information yet, but the websight is www.redrivertheatre.com!

Again thanks in advance for the help.

Zane

• Zane,

I don't know the first thing about guns, so am not able to answer your question, but I'm sure somebody around here will be able to help you out.

I would like to congratulate you on landing this role, and commend you for your attention to detail.

I sure wish Chester and I lived closer - I really enjoy live theater, and your show sounds like something we would definitely go for. I just know one of these days, we'll get to meet somebody from the message board face to face. :gossip:

Break a leg!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Well it depends how much you want to put into it.
    A lot of renactors have just bought the Italian copies and use them. So check locally to see if there isn't something in the $250 neighborhood. ( a pawn shop is good )
    Blank guns are ok but they are made of zinc metal alloy and will break easy.
    ( hate to see you drop your gun during a preformance and it going to pieces)
    Besides you can't resell a blank gun .

As far as blanks, do you know anyone that reloads ? Just have them insert a primer into what eversize case you need. It will be LOUD enough.

CheckSASS USA
    for a local club, they maybe more than helpful to you.
    There is probably some one who can work some of those cartridges up in 10min.Maybe even lend you a gun .

Now no matter what you use BECAREFUL, injuries can still occure with guns with blanks in. A director just may forget that.

Rick

PS
    You might just follow that link, to the SASS WIRE. Put a post on there they may be of some help.
    I know I could if you were in Pa. I got both plus a rig you could use.

SASS 39065 Life
    BOLD 114

• zane

firstly congrats on scoring the role in the play. for my two bobs worth i would say listern to reasr and chill as they are way knowable on guns also reasr knows a lot he helped me out with somw questions when i first came to this board between them both we have a fountain of knowledge on guns.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Maverick; I agree with Reasr that I would much rather have a real weapon, but it will cost you more. When we did the Gunfighters T.V. series we used 5 of the blank firing pistols and 3 real Peacemakers, and I stll have them all. The Blank Firing pistols still work and we had them dropped out of the holsters on horse back at full speed and tossed them across the room on the Set, and they still work. That was 20 years ago! Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hey, again thanks for the advice. My first thought was to use a real gun... I have an old colt, and a friend who reloads that could fix me up with blanks, but they at the theater had a problem with using real guns; you know safety, security, legal reasons... But as it turns out, one of the guys in the cast does the "Cowboy" reenactor thing, (he travels around at Cowboy Gatherings, and does shows) and help fix me up with a blank firing Colt. replica that does look like the real thing!

But once again thanks for the advice. When we get close to the show dates, I'll try to update you guys on the information; If there's any JW fans in this area (Northeast of Dallas, very close to the Red River), I would like to see you there and meet you.

Wish me luck... I've done comedy in front of an audience before, but never straight, dramatic acting! This is a first!

Again thanks,
    Zane