New Technology

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,015 times. The latest Post () was by William T Brooks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If these changes result in my DVD collection becoming unplayable, I'm gonna be POed as hell. I've got probably 8 or 9 thousand dollars invested in more than 400 DVDs of my all-time favorite films..

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy; I am impressed with your collection of DVDs. But that is the way they do it to us!!! I just completed converting over 100 of my favorite V.H.S. tapes to D.V.D.s on my new machine . Now it said that the New Machines will be out in 2005! And did you see the prices on those new machines? Chilibill :cowboy:

• All indications that I am seeing/hearing are that the new players will be compatible with the current DVD format. It will not matter if its Blu-Ray or HD-DVD format. Your collection is safe.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Speaking of DVD's I can not stand them I covet my VHS John Wayne collection you look at a DVD wrong and its ruined and will not play or freeze up they are horrible! :headbonk:
    With the VHS tapes you can beat the hell out of them and they still play I have the first release of the Shootist on VHS it is at least 10 years old that thing is as tough as the Duke :D! I do agree that the visual quality of a DVD is better and I would not want to watch a VHS tape on my 52" high Def TV however on a 32" or even on my 13" that I take camping with me and my trusty VCR the quality is excellent.
    So in my opinion don't throw out those John Wayne VHS tapes they will be around allot longer than a DVD :uhuh2: !
    If you do throw them out send em to me I will pay for shipping :headbonk:

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

Originally posted by JOHNWAYNEABE@Oct 22 2004, 04:28 PM
    VHS tapes they will be around allot longer than a DVD

Fotgive me for being so blunt but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Originally posted by Stumpy+Oct 22 2004, 06:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stumpy @ Oct 22 2004, 06:13 PM)</div>

Fotgive me for being so blunt but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

[snapback]12041[/snapback]

[/b]

Stumpy: excuse the hell out of me you JACK ASS!
    Thats my opinion from my experience's with DVD and video. And If you think I dont know what the hell im talking about think about its a fact!

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• Whoa whoa guys!! Lets reign it in here now. This is a friendly board, and I am sure Stumpy never meant any harm. That's just Stumpy.

I do want to way in on some of your comments concerning the DVD's being so fragile though. I have roughly 150 DVD's at the moment and don't have a problem with any of them. The biggest thing about the DVD, which JohnWayneabe alluded too, is the picture/sound quality. The reason for that is the amount of data that can be stored on a DVD is much greater then a VHS tape. Now are they fragile?yes and no. Fragile as in you cannot bounce them around like a VHS tape, but not so fragile that if you just make sure they get back in there cases after each use.

And in that last statement lies the true benefit of DVD over a VHS tape. Uses, as in watching multiple times, I would bet that if the same care was taken with a VHS and dvd that the video on the DVD would be as it was the first time you watch it 20 years from buying it brand new. Now lets say you watch each format, VHS and DVD 1 time a week for 20 years. That VHS picture quality will be very deteriated. DVD is here to stay. Its the same thing that happened with cd's and cassette tapes. Cd's sound awesome and they get bounced around in peoples cars, nobody has problems with them.

I didn't write this with the intention of starting a fight or even egging one on, This is just my opinion.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• SXViper,
    I agree with you 100%. What was basically trying to say is that I have had hundreds if not thousands of dollars of DVD's ruined because if you don't baby them they are easily ruined especially when you have young children that like to watch them as much as I do and it is hard to watch them every second everyone needs to understand that they must be properly handled and put away with care and not laid on top of the player when a new one is put in. With a VHS tape you can kick it across the room and it will still play for years. My DVD collection is put away and out of little hands. So all I was talking about was just my personal opinion about DVD's VS VIDEO!

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• Hi Guys

DVD's or VHS.

My DVD collection is very small as I am very reluctant to lose any of my VHS's probably because i believe in the belt and braces system if you have one of each you're doubly protected, but as technology takes over perhaps the video recorder will become as obsolete as the old wind up gramaphone and then no matter what the quality if you can't play them you can't watch them.

My only beef about the DVD is it cost pennies to make and pounds to buy, some of the best John Wayne films sell in England for almost twenty pounds.

The new set of John Waynes Region 2 DVDs out soon are selling at almost £200.00 and to my mind that is serious money.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I've been collecting both VHS tapes and DVDs of films for more than 20 years (since about 1983). I've found that unless tapes are played on a regular basis, their quality begins to deteriorate after about 5 or 6 years. The tape surfaces will "stick" together, often rendering them unplayable.

According to my research, DVDs will last indefinitely if reasonable care is taken. It therefore seems to me that the advantages of disc over tape are obvious.

• Stumpy; You are absolutely correct about Tape and D.V.D.s ! After spending over 30 years in and out of the Television business and many hours in the Editing room I can tell you that the Video Tapes do began to fade after a few years and in the Tape library room the tapes must be Rotated every few months to keep them from sticking together.

DVDs have a much better picture and audio. The big problem that we are having is enhancing the video tapes that I still have the rights to, before we can put them on to the DVD format , because many TV stations do not use the 3/4 and one inch tape format anymore. The Video engineers tell me that the DVDs will last a very long time but much care must be taken as to dirt and oils from the hands. Chilibill :cowboy:

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Oct 23 2004, 06:20 PM

DVDs have a much better picture and audio. The big problem that we are having is enhancing the video tapes that I still have the rights to, before we can put them on to the DVD format , because many TV stations do not use the 3/4 and one inch tape format anymore.

Hi Chilibill

I was just curious to what is envolved in in the process of enhancing the video tapes.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Popol Vuh; The machine that I have in in my Studio office is made by "Go-Video" and cost about $500.00 and is a VHS to DVD and DVD to VHS Copy Enhancer. I use this machine for my Tapes and DVDs and it has a Automatic enhancer that improves the picture and color about 50%.

For anything that is for broadcast on T.V. I use a T.V. Studio in Sedona and their machines are Computer Controlled an you can do just about anything you want as to Color and Clear picture. We have even made Color out of Black and White Tape and it looks good but these Machines cost Big Money! Chilibill :cowboy: