Rip, Howard

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,075 times. The latest Post () was by CHANCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hollywood has a long history of miscasting whites as Indians. Some worked; some didn't. Two who I thought turned in credible roles as Indians were Jeff Chandler as Cochise in "Broken Arrow" and Sal Mineo as Red Shirt in "Cheyenne Autumn". But Howard Keel, who just died of colon cancer at the age of 85, wasn't believable as Levi Walking Bear in "The War Wagon". He played the role pretty much tongue-in-cheek but then, so did some of the others in that film.
    My favorite Keel role was as Wild Bill Hickok in the Doris Day vehicle "Calamity Jane". Anyway, rest in peace, Howard.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• We're sorry to hear about the death of Howard Keel. Just the other night, we were watching The War Wagon, and realized that was Howard Keel! Our family has also enjoyed him in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (what a singing voice) and Showboat.

And who could forget his role as Clayton Farlow in Dallas? I don't know if his character was part of tonight's special reunion show, but he didn't even get to watch it.

After I had gotten Steve Kanaly's (Ray on Dallas) autograph yesterday, I went back about half an hour later to get one for Les Adams, and Mr. Kanaly had left unexpectedly early. I wonder if he had gotten a call . . . .

Another Hollywood great gone. Thanks for letting us know, Stumpy!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester Stumpy

It's another sad day and for once I have been caught napping.

I attended one of his concerts at the Portsmouth Guildhall he was brilliant. He came on stage with two pocket watches which he referred to continually, very professional.

Like many I thought he was miscast in the War Wagon, but that singing voice in Calamity Jane, Showboat, Kiss Me Kate and Jupiters Darling more than made up for it.

Its been a bad year RIP Howard

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I hadn't heard about Howard Keel! He seemed like the kind of guy who could seemingly go on forever... so hale and hearty and healthy and handsome.

Sad. Kiss Me Kate was just on TCM's "Syncopation Station" yesterday... I've always thought of him as a musical star myself, but I'm sure he was great in westerns too.

"Bless your beautiful hide..."

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Nov 8 2004, 01:02 AM
    t's another sad day and for once I have been caught napping.

[snapback]12297[/snapback]

Arthur,

When Stumpy posted the news, it must have just been released, because when we checked Google for news stories, most of what came up was very recent. You were literally napping (i.e., sleeping for the night ^^ ).

We knew it from reading it here, otherwise would have heard it on the radio this morning while getting ready for work.

Jen, my 14 year old daughter and 8 year old son love to play "Sobbin' Women" over and over on the DVD of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - I think you would like hanging out with our family and watching old movies together :rolleyes: .

Chester :newyear:

• A sad loss yet again this year for the world of movies. He was a talented star I really enjoyed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Calamity Jane. I thought he was great as well in The War Wagon a fun character in a fun movie.

P.s. Stumpy I fely Henry Brandon was good at playing Indian characters.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Robbie@Nov 8 2004, 04:36 PM
    P.s. Stumpy I fely Henry Brandon was good at playing Indian characters.

Well, I must admit Brandon made a very believable Comanche Chief Cicatrice (Scar) in "The Searchers". I don't recall seeing him in other Indian roles. That's not saying I didn't - it's just that he doesn't register in my memory.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hey Chester (and Mrs. Chester):

Aww... I have no doubt I'd love watching old movies with you and your family! "Sobbin' Women" is a great, infectious number, but it sure wouldn't win any points for PC-ness, now would it? ^^

I like "Goin' Co'tin" and the big dance number at the barn-raising, too.

Poor Jane Powell... all those stinky dirty hairy men she had to put up with. Just turns out most of them are fabulous dancers, though! Only at the movies.

• "What a voice" a sad loss, loved the black hills of Dakota
    "Take me back to the black hills, the black hills of Dakota.... "come on everybody join in"

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"