What Is Your Favorite Non John Wayne

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 27,944 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: Sorry if I am repeating something that might have been here before but, I was just wondering what your favorite NON-John Wayne Western is?

For me it is easy, Winchester 73. James Stewart chasing Stephen McNally through the picture was an awsome work of art. Will Geer was great as Wyatt Earp and it was nice to see some other recognizable faces in the movie as well like: a VERY young Tony Curtis (as a Cavalry Trooper) James Best (as another very young Trooper) Rock Hudson as the Indian Chief, Charles Drake and Dan Duryea.

The character names were interesting ones as well. For instance, I liked McNally's other character name which was Dutch Henry Brown and Dan Duryea had a classic one as well with Waco Johnny Dean. I also thought it a nice twist that Dutch was really Linn McAdams's brother Matthew McAdams.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Nov 14 2004, 03:26 PM
    :cowboy: Sorry if I am repeating something that might have been here before but, I was just wondering what your favorite NON-John Wayne Western is?

As usual, I can't name just one favorite. I have several non-Wayne westerns that are favorites. In no particular order, they are: "Ulzana's Raid", "Monte Walsh", "The Stalking Moon", "Gunfight at OK Corral", "The Gunfighter", "Will Penny", "Culpepper Cattle Company", "Broken Arrow", "Naked Spur" and others. Westerns, per se, are my favorite genre.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by Stumpy+Nov 14 2004, 04:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stumpy @ Nov 14 2004, 04:31 PM)</div>

As usual, I can't name just one favorite. I have several non-Wayne westerns that are favorites. In no particular order, they are: "Ulzana's Raid", "Monte Walsh", "The Stalking Moon", "Gunfight at OK Corral", "The Gunfighter", "Will Penny", "Culpepper Cattle Company", "Broken Arrow", "Naked Spur" and others. Westerns, per se, are my favorite genre.

[snapback]12479[/snapback]

[/b]

Upon reflection, I can think of numerous other westerns that would have to be included on my "favorites" list.

"Shane", "The Ox-Bow Incident", "Ride The High Country", "Bandolero", "The Big Country", "Pale Rider", "The Man From Laramie", "The Magnificent Seven", Dances With Wolves", "Open Range", "Jeremiah Johnson", "Tombstone", "Duel In The Sun", "Last Train From Gun Hill", "Union Pacific", "My Darling Clementine", "There Was A Crooked Man", "River of No Return", "Western Union", "The Bravados", "The Unforgiven (1960)", "Quigley Down Under", "Tom Horn", "3:10 to Yuma", "Lonesome Dove", "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" and "The Outlaw Josey Wales".

Well, you did ask. (HA)

• I must agree with others, I don't have just "one" favorite non Duke western. I have several. From the golden era(1970 and earlier) there is High Noon, The Magnificent Seven, Winchester 73, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, 3:10 to Yuma, just to name a few.
    And from the newer era( 1970 to present) The Outlaw Josey Wales, Silverado, Quigley Down Under, Dances With Wolves, Tombstone, and Open Range. Its hard to pinpoint just one.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi

When you look at the previous lists it just goes to show how popular the western genre was, and hopefully may be again.

Certainly my list would include Winchester 73, The Gunfight At The OK Corrall, The Magnificent Seven, Ride Clear of Diabalo with Audie Murphy and Dan Duyrea (The best of both Worlds) and the films father Destry with James Stewart and La Dietrich) also a lot of the old cavary pictures with Jeff Chandler and Ronald Reagan, and then you have to include Randolph Scott and Glenn Ford. And not forgetting Gregory Peck.

Perhaps it might have been easier to ask which westerns didn't you like, but then you start another list.
    Red Garters, Lust in the Dust (sorry Duel in the Sun), The Oklahoma Kid

oh my.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I think my picks would be Broken Arrow, Shane, Drumbeat, Winchester 73, Duel in the Sun and My Darling Clementine!!! I think these films kind-of Date me. Chilibill :cowboy:

Oh and "High Noon" a great film with the Coop!!!

• :cowboy: Hi Stumpy, Viper, Arthur, Jen, Mr. Brooks.

Heh heh, I knew it was a hard question to answer and I can see why. The movies listed were all excellent choices and reminded me of many others. Two others I have to add as favorites of mine are: Arrowhead w/ Charlton Heston, Brian Kieth and Walter (Jack) Palance & The Last Outpost w/ Ronald Wilson Reagan, Bruce Bennett and Hugh Beaumont (Ward Cleaver of Leave It To Beaver fame)

Heh, I just thought of another possible stumper for you all which I will do as a seperate post.

Best regards--TRK.

• Mine would be Shane, High Noon and The good the bad and the ugly.

A special mention also to The Magnificent seven while its not as good as the above movies its a lot of fun and iconic in its own right.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I like so many Westerns that it's tough to just choose one, especially when it has to be a non-Duke Western! I'll just name a few:

Bend of the River-- Plus every other Anthony Mann/James Stewart collaboration!

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral-- First time I ever saw Burt Lancaster, I was 13 and he impressed the heck out of me! So much authority in the way he moved and acted.

The Outlaw Josey Wales-- Quotable from start to finish.

High Noon-- A classic in every way, even if it is a bit "creaky" at times.

Man Without A Star-- Little-known Kirk Douglas Western with ichard Boone as a great bad guy.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Nov 15 2004, 11:15 PM
    First time I ever saw Burt Lancaster, I was 13 and he impressed the heck out of me! So much authority in the way he moved and acted.

I too thought Burt was great - he was right up near the top of my favorite actor list. In fact, I just realized I forgot to put another western starring Burt in my favorite western list and that was "Lawman".

• as i have been told by some it is classed as a western then my pick will have to man from snowy river just have to support our movie makers :P
    cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi

I liked Burt Lancaster particulary in Vera Cruz with Gary Cooper, and in the Hallalujah Trail which although it was a piece of nonsense it did show Lancaster off as a good comedy actor.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• This is too difficult for just one, but I will list three:

Duel in the Sun, My Darling Clementine, and The Westerner with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan. I think Walter Brennan won an Oscar and he deserved it.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Ride the High Country. I've read that Wayne wanted to be in this film but Peckinpagh wouldn't cast him because no actor was his equal and the two leads needed to be on a par as were Joel McRae and Randolph Scott.

• :cowboy: Great choices.

I'll say this as my own opinion. I bet Peckinpah did not use John Wayne in that movie probably because Peckinpah figured he would not be able to bully The Duke. Don't get me wrong, I love some of Peckinpahs works like: The Wild Bunch, Cross Of Iron and Major Dundee--which I wish they would release Dundee on DVD so I can see it again.

• Lets see..how about

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    The Magnificent Seven
    Silverado
    Tombstone
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Lonesome Dove
    Winchester '73

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• :cowboy: Greetings Phantom Stranger and welcome to these forums. Of your good list, Winchester 73 is my favorite. Best regards--TRK.

• Hello All -

Besides many of those mentioned in the other posts on this subject, one of my favorite non-Wayne westerns would be "The Professionals." Not only is it a good character study of the protagonists, but also a rip-roaring actioner. Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster play well off one another, while Jack Palance is no slouch either. And who can forget Claudia Cardinale as the requiste eye candy.

Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: I had forgotten about that one. Geeeze it's been many years since I last saw that movie. Is this one that also has Robert Ryan in it?