What Is Your Favorite Non John Wayne

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,064 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: Thanks Jay, now I remember some of it. I think Ralph Bellamy tried to order Lee Marvin or someone to kill the person who "kidnapped" his wife but the person he ordered to kill refused because he found he had respect for this person.

Been too long since I last saw it. When it comes to DVD it's another I will have to have.

Well, not much on TV tonight so I guess I will be wathcing Arrowhead again tonight. :D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

If I remember it right when Lee Marvin lets Jack Palance go Ralph Bellamy turns round and says You B*****d. Marvin replies Yes but mine is an act of birth, but you are a self made man.

I though it was quite a good moment.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by Harold@Jan 26 2005, 07:24 PM
    Also for a war movie "BATTLEGROUND" with Van Johnson and others...

"Battleground" was always one of my favorite WW2 movies. (I have it on DVD) I liked the ending when the platoon was marching our of Bastogne, James Whitmore was hobbling along on his frost-bitten feet but the troops were all in step, and the music segued into the "Jodie" cadence.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Thanks Arthur, I also remember that great line.

Harold, I have seen Ambush and agree it also is a great western.

I also agree with you and Stumpy that Battleground is a great war film. On AMC today, they played a badly butchered version of Battle of the Bulge, which is a great film as well.

Oh and, it is supposed to be released on DVD soon, and hopefully uncut.

• I purchased "Battleground" when it was released. I too enjoyed that movie. Very well acted and written. The scene that sticks out the most to me is when the grunts are walking through the woods and they have to hide in the snow banks and trees. One of the guys gets killed when a german patrol shows up and after they shoot it out, the US guys just leave him there, nothing they could do but keep going on, just makes the realities of war more apparent.

Also, Battle of the Bulge, that is the one with Henry Fonda, correct? If so, it will be released sometime 1st part of the year if I remember correctly.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Another good line from "The Professionals" -

Claudia Cardinale tells Burt Lancaster to "go to Hell!" - Lancaster replies, "Yes ma'am, I'm on my way."

Cheers - Jay - :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have “BATTLEGROUND” on DVD. I like all of the innuendoes such as almost getting into the short arm line (raincoat), gathering Christmas greetings, like take a leap on a flying doughnut, etc. Viper is right it makes realistic.
    I copied "AMBUSH" on VHS from TV but trying to find it on DVD...

• I read this morning that "The Professionals" SE version will be released shortly. Lancaster, Marvin, Palance and Ryan are all favories of mine but I just didn't much care for that movie so I won't be buying it unless I can find it in the bargain bin at Walmart.

• Hi Stumpy -

Each to his own opinion, of course. I remember seeing "The Professionals" at the theater when it was first released. Since then, every time I have seen it, I have gained admiration for this movie.
    That last line is a gem, and Lee Marvin delivers it so well.
    It is currently being shown frequently on the Western Channel, for those of you who get it.

Cheers - Jay :)

"Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Jan 27 2005, 05:40 PM
    Each to his own opinion, of course.

That's true, Jay. Taste is subjective. For instance, I didn't like "The Wild Bunch" either and yet it's rated by most critics as the best Western ever made. I didn't care for any of Clint's "spaghetti" Westerns and over the years, they've become cult classics. Same for his Oscar winner "Unforgiven". It's rated very highly by most people but I wasn't all that impressed. I liked the original "Unforgiven" with Burt Lancaster, Audie Murphy and Audrey Hepburn better. Or maybe over the years, I became so accustomed to the formulaic John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart Westerns that others didn't appeal to me. Maybe I just have weird tastes. :lol:

• :cowboy: Hi Viper, yep, Henry Fonda was in Battle of the Bulge as Lt. Col. Kiley. Dana Andrews was a Col and was Kiley;s superior. Robert Ryan was a 2 star General. Charles Bronson was an infantry Major, Telly Savalas was Sergeant Guffy, the Chaffee tank commander, Ty Hardin was the German Commando how was posing as the American MP Lieutenant. Robert Shaw was the German Panzer Brigade Commander--Col. Hessler, his 2nd in command, the man who commanded the attached Infantry Battalion was Karl-Otto Alberty as Major Dieple, George Montgomery was the Sergeant who got captured because of James MacArthur (the young American Lieutenant) and was murdered along with the 80++ other Americans at Malmedy, Hans-Christian Bleth was the German Sergeant who was Hesslers Batman, and Piere Angeli was Guffy's business partner.

Battleground had a lot of realism in it because most or all of the extras were actual "Screaming Eagles" who fought at Bastogne.

Lets see, I remember George Murphy was in the movie as Pop Stazak, Ricardo Montalban was Rodrigues, Richard Jaeckel was Pvt. Bettis, Marshal Thompson was the young replacement, Van Johnson was Pfc. Holley, Herbert Anderson as ???, Douglas Fowley as Kipp Kippton, James Arness as another young private and James Whitmore Sr. as Sergeant Kenne.

• My favorite NON-John Wayne Western?

Open Range. Just a GREAT movie, and when you watch the "making of" feature you can see just what a labor of love that movie was - and what a challenge it was just getting it made!

CLOSE behind that one would be movies like Winchester '73, Warlock (another great, but largely forgotten western), Tombstone, The Magnificent Seven, The Man From Laramie, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and.... aww, hell - I could just go on and on and on and on....

I have become a Western FANATIC! (And John Wayne was a big contributing factor in my becoming a Western fanatic....)

• Another non-Duke western to be noted: "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."
    Its somewhat off-beat approach to the western genre grabbed movie-goers' fancy and made it a hit. The photography added to the enjoyment of this picture.

Cheers - Jay :)

"Not hardly!!!"

• Tombstone, Pale Rider, Open Range, The Good the Bad and the Ugly and I could keep going, but I won't.

"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway."

Heroes live forever.

• I would have to say that my all time favorite non-john wayne western would have to be either Tombstone or Shenendoah?(not quite sure on the spelling...Jimmy Stewart was the star).

• I would have to say "Broken Arrow" with Jimmy Stewart, Jeff Chandler and Debra Paget! Jimmy was a real Gentle Man and a Great Actor, And I can go out the front door and see were they shot the film. Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi

For me Winchester 73, and Gunfight at the OK Corral

The casting of Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster as Wyatt and Doc with a brilliant supporting cast is very good.

Also another good Earp film My Darling Clementine a memorable film from Ford and Fonda, again with a memorable supporting cast.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• You know if I had to pick a single non-John Wayne western movie, I'd have to say The Man From Laramie with Jimmy Stewart. That is definitely a classic. For a modern one, I'd pick Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall. Not a Costner fan but that was an excellent movie. But the #1 is the Stewart flick.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote