Question?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,812 times. The latest Post () was by REASR.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Gang i've always wondered how they make the sweat marks/stains on hats and clothing in the Movies . I know it may sound a strange question my mind was wandering as it does sometimes and this just popped in. So has anyone any ideas.
    Chance :artist:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• Yes, I would have guessed oil, as it stains without leaving a different color behind.

Chance, you win a prize for the strangest question in a good long while, I think! :D

• to continue on from this question how would they put in the white marks that you sometimes get when sweat dries (like salt lines) ?

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• In the book 'The life and times of John Wayne' it states that he was one of the first cowboy actors to dress realistically ie' swaet stained clothes etc, it was also claimed that when he started making b movies he was given a clean cut cowboy outfit to wear but Duke turned it down in favour of a more authentic cowboy outfit.

Regarding special effects in movies how are gunshot wounds done. An example would be in Big Jake the guy at the start who get shot by the younger Fain brother and flys through a door due to the impact, the camera doesnt cut away so I was wondering how this effect was done.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• thanks chill what a way to make sweat yuk :(

robbie i would think that they would have used a really strong nylon that wouldn't show up and have someone outside give it a really big tug or they could have attached it to a car and drove away fast :D;) someone else should know the real way they did this

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I can not remember that take in the film, but when we wanted to have a man look like he was hit by a large Cal. bullet was to use a harness like a parachute harness under the clothing and two very strong wires attached to the shoulders of the Stuntman under the clothing, and two or three large men on the other end of the wires with a large handle and when the Director would yell "Action" the large men would pull the Stuntman off his feet backward. This was very hard on the Stuntman and he would get more money for this kind of Stunt! The lighting had to be just right so you would not see the Wires!!!

Where the bullet was to hit a man, we used what was called a "Blood Squib" with a small charge that would explode behind a small plastic bag of fake blood, and the fake blood would come though the clothing and it would look like a bullet had hit the man.

When a man was hit in a fight or by a bullet and went back though a window, we had what we called in the old days, "Candy Glass" and was made just like Real Hard Candy and would break but not cut like real glass. Today they use a plastic that will shatter but will not cut, but some times they do get hurt!!! :fear2: Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hey Bill,
    what did you use for blood?

I think one of the first to use the cable pulling the shot guy backwards was George Stevens, "killing" Jack Palance in Shane. They were looking for a very brutal way to show the impact of a bullet, and the shots on the soundtrack were also louder than usual.

Wayne managed to use the cable very well, and not even from a front perspective as usual, but from the side, in the final assault on the Alamo, when he gives the Mexican army a canon shot of horsenails, resulting in guys being pulled back.

• You can use a can of WD40 on a light color hat. You can also take and put some tea in a spray bottle.

These are what I've heard guys use with some success. I've never tried doing it, instead bought one already done. But I've heardthat some companies"wash' out after a while.

On a black one use salt water mix.

Rick

Ps
    Once you use tea or Rit dye you are stuck with it

SASS 39065 Life
    BOLD 114