There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 240,661 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

On this day August 13th

40 years ago In Harm's Way was released in West Germany.

38 years ago the actress Jane Darwell died aged 88.

92 years ago the actor Kurt Kazner was born he appeared in Legend of the Lost.

32 years ago John Wayne received the US Marine Corps League 'Iron Mike' Award given for Americanism.

29 years ago The Shootest was released in New York
    'John Bernard Books: Damn.
    Bond Rogers: John Bernard, you swear too much.
    John Bernard Books: The hell I do. '

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Onm this day the 15th August

37 years ago The Green Berets was released in UK

62 years ago Barbara bouchet was born she appeared in Cast a Giant Shadow.

69 years ago Mike henrywas born. Apart from playing Tarzan in a couple of pictures he also played the bad sheriff in Rio Lobo

114 years ago Chief Yowlachi was born, real name Daniel Simmonds he appeared in among others Red River.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 15 2005, 12:53 AM
    62 years ago Barbara bouchet was born she appeared in Cast a Giant Shadow.

[snapback]20355[/snapback]

I actually remember her better as Liz Eddington in "In Harm's Way," playing Kirk Douglas's wayward wife at the beginning of the movie.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this day 16th August

81 years ago Fess Parker was born. Better known as Davy Crockett in the Disney films he also appeared briefly in Operation Pacific.

32 years ago the actress Veda Ann Borg died aged 58 she featured in The Alamo.

12 years ago Stewart Granger died aged 80 he partnered John Wayn in North to Alaska.

103 years ago Cecil B DeMille married Constance Adams.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• c

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 16 2005, 01:32 AM
    32 years ago the actress Veda Ann Borg died aged 58 she featured in The Alamo.

[snapback]20394[/snapback]

I just found out that she was married to Andrew V. McLaglen!
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this day 17th August

49 years ago The Conqueror was released in West Germany

28 years ago The Shootist was released in France

75 years ago The actor Glenn Corbett was born, he played a good guy in Chisum and a bad one in Big Jake.

85 years ago Maureen O'Hara was born. Happy Birthday Maureen.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 18th August

28 years ago The War Wagon was released in West Germany

85 years ago Shelly Winters was born, she can plainly be seen walking through the wagon train site in Red River.

93 years ago the actor Kurt Meisal was born he was in The Longest Day

106 years ago Chuck Baldra was born he appeared in both the New Fontier pictures as well as other Monogram and Republic pictures with the Duke.

1 year ago Elmer Bernstein died

66 years ago the producer of Monogram pictures Trem carr died aged 54.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello All
    Hi Arthur twenty days since I read my first post and today is the first time I read any on this topic . I have only read a dozen and look forward to reading them all.

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 18 2005, 01:17 AM
    1 year ago Elmer Bernstein died.

[snapback]20456[/snapback]

Elmer Bernstein was one of the premier composers responsible for movie soundtracks. Of course, he composed music for several of JW's features - just off the top of my head without consultation with reference sources - "True Grit," "The Comancheros," "Big Jake" and "Cahill, U.S. Mashall" come to mind.
    Bernstein had one of the biggest breaks in Hollywood - he was recommended for composing the music for Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" when the original composer (his name escapes me for the moment) became ill. The rest is history.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi,
    Save Looking it up,
    you can also add:-
    CAST A GIANT SHADOW
    THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER
    THE SHOOTIST
    McQ

Also,amongst others,
    THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM
    WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
    TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
    HAWAII
    THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
    BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
    HUD
    THE GREAT ESCAPE
    KINGS OF THE SUN
    THE CARPETBAGGERS
    THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL
    THE SCALPHUNTERS
    THE GYPSY MOTHS
    WHERE'S JACK
    GHOSTBUSTERS
    THE FIELD etc etc

and oh, one small venture he composed the music for,
    THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Jay Ethan kilo 6 and everyone else,

You make this column worth writing,

Apart from the Wayne pictures many of which are very stirring, The Magnificent Seven goes without saying but in 1956 when I saw the Ten Commandments I thought the sound track was brilliant. Later I was able to buy the sound track of the Alamo and the Ten Commandments on long play 33 records. Still have them today, not worth much in their state but to me priceless.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Bernstein had some great soundtracks but my all-time favorite was his music from "The Sons of Katie Elder". Now that theme was soul-stirring, I thought.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy

You'll get no arguement from me on that one.

On this Day 19th August:

99 years ago June Collyer was born, an attractive woman she was the female lead in Ford's Hangman's House.

106 years ago the silent film actor Kenneth Mackenna was born

107 years ago Eleanor Boardman was born she featured in Bardelys the Magnificent.

109 years ago Olga Backlanova one of the original screen vamps was born terrifying in Freaks she was also seen in Cheer up and Smile.

Regards

Arthur

PS

I am going on leave for a fortnight starting saturday so if everyone is happy I will post eleven on this day tommorrow so as not to break the sequence.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 19 2005, 01:31 AM
    I am going on leave for a fortnight starting saturday

I had to chuckle at this, Arthur. Only an Englishman would use the term fortnight ( an old fashioned term for two weeks. Many Americans will say to themselves, "Now what the hell is he talking about?" :lol: )

Anyway, have a great time.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Aug 19 2005, 05:16 AM
    I had to chuckle at this, Arthur. Only an Englishman would use the term fortnight ( an old fashioned term for two weeks. Many Americans will say to themselves, "Now what the hell is he talking about?"

[snapback]20503[/snapback]

Well, Stumpy, I kind of chuckled at your remark. Thanks to some well-rounded reading, even our nine-year-old son knows what a fortnight is.

Arthur, have a wonderful time away - I am assuming you will be pursuing rest and relaxation :D . You will be MISSED :wub: !

Mrs. C :angel1:

Originally posted by chester7777@Aug 19 2005, 08:08 AM
    Thanks to some well-rounded reading, even our nine-year-old son knows what a fortnight is.

That's what home schooling does, Sue. But I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that millions of supposedly well-educated Americans would have absolutely no clue what a fortnight is.

• hi arthur

have a well earned holiday and rest up for the fortnight as we expect you to come back as fresh as a daisy :D . see you when you gat back will stretch out the next 11 days so i can read one each day i have to say what you do is great and we all learn oh so much

have fun

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"