There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 238,233 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Have a great holiday, Arthur - we'll await your turn with relish (and perhaps a little mustard and ketchup on our hot dog as well :lol: ).
    Gosh folks - I've known what a fortnight was since way back in grade school - maybe that's an indictment against our school system as it is now!! :stunned:
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Aug 19 2005, 11:41 AM
    maybe that's an indictment against our school system as it is now!!

Precisely - I think the public school system today is a total disaster. We should tear it down and start over.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Arthur,

Hope you have a good holiday. We'll miss you and your posting daily, but we'll have enough to read from you.

By the way, is there any good albums from Elmer Bernstein out there?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

On this day August 20th

29 years ago The Shootist was released in the United States

‘John Bernard Brooks: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. ‘

99 years ago Charles Arnt was born, he appeared in Without Reservations

4 years ago Walter Reed died he was in How The West Was Won.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 21st August

97 years ago the actor Tom Tulley was born he featured in Trouble Along The Way
    Also on the same day The actor David Farrar was born he played Jeff Napier in The Sea Chase.

104 years ago Albert S Rogell was born he directed War of the Wildcats

23 years ago Jack Rutherford died, among others he was in The Oregon Trail.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 22nd

50 years ago The Sea Chase was released in the United Kingdom.

49 years ago The Searchers was released in Sweden

4 years ago The actress Coleen Dewhurst died aged 67 she was in The Cowboys

42 years ago Perry Ivans died aged 68. I thought he was in Red River I was only partially right he featured in Red River Range.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 23rd August

51 years ago in Honolulu Ward Bond married Mary Lou May

76 years ago the actress Vera Miles was born, one of my John Wayne favourites she was in The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Hellfighters.

104 years ago Iphigenie Castiglione was born in Austria, she went on to play in the Comancheros.

43 years ago the cowboy actor Hoot Gibson died aged 70, as a veteran he appeared in The Horse Soldiers

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 24th August :
    Hi

On this day 24th August

32 years ago Cahill was released in Finland.

(I bought a copy of it shortly before going on holiday. It was a part of a series of DVD’s called the Ultimate Western Collection and looked very neat)

107 years ago the actor Tom London was born he was in Flame of the Barbary Coast.

125 years ago the head of Republic Studios Herbert J. Yates was born

126 years ago the actor Lew Kelly was born he featured in In Old California.

33 years ago the director Ross D Lederman died he directed films at Columbia and was there with him during the worst days of Dukes career.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 25th:-

Rio Bravo was released in West Germany
    Hi

On this day 25th August

46 years ago Rio Bravo was released in West Germany

[size=8]John T Chance: You want that gun, pick it up. I wish you would[size=8].

75 years ago Sean Connery was born. He appeared in The Longest Day.

87 years ago the composer Leonard Bernstein was born.

86 years ago the actor Mel Ferrer was born he played the bad guy in Brannigan.

92 years ago Don Defore was born he was Duke’s buddy in Without Reservations

107 years ago Walter Burke was born he was in How The West was Won

127 years ago the veteran of many 1930s Poverty Studio cowboy movies Murdoch MacQuarrie was born.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 26th:-

41 years ago Wyoming Outlaw was released in Denark.

42 years ago Donovan's Reef was released in Sweden

111 years ago Richard Wallace the director of Tycoon was born.

38 years ago Willis Bouchey, a stalwart in many Cowboy films including The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Horse Soldiers died aged 70.

44 years ago Tragically Gail Russell committed suicide at the age of 36. She was the female lead in Wake of the Red Witch.

87 years ago Barbara Stanwyck, the star of the 1933 film Baby Face, married Frank Fay.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 27th:-

34 years ago Big Jake was released in Finland

Gilhooley about to throw bottle during fight]
    Michael Patrick 'Guns' Donovan: Not the brandy, you dope!
    Thomas Aloysius 'Boats' Gilhooley: [puts bottle carefully down on bar] Sorry!

106 years ago the actor Byron Foulger was born

16 years ago Bill Shirley died aged 68, he featured in Flying Tigers.

32 years ago Director John Ford lay dying of cancer at his home. During the remaining few days before his death he was visited by many of his friend and companions. On this day the first of these associates, the writer and director Peter Bogdanovitch spent time with him.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 28th:-

61 years ago In Old California was released in Sweden.

54 years ago Flying Leathernecks was released in the United States.

95 years ago the stuntman and supporting actor of many of Wayne's western films Joe Yrigoyen was born.
    (I think I've spelt it right but god knows how you pronounce it)

114 years ago the actor Stanley Andrews was born he appeared in among many others ar of the Wildcats.

41 years ago the actor Lumsden Hare died aged 64. He as the actor that began giving the Young John Wayne voice coaching but quickly gave it up. He appeared in his own right in Salute.

18 years ago the director John Huston died. He and Duke did not get along when they worked together on The Barbarian and the Geisha, but he was a great director.

32 years ago Howard Hawk visited John Ford, Old friends the two men reminisced for a long time. as Hawks rose to leave Ford called him back.
    'Good bye Howard'
    Hawks replied goodbye Jack
    But Ford repeated
    I mean Goodbye Howard.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 30th:-

34 years ago The Green Berets was released in West Germany

Reporter: Could you answer a question that all of us are asking?
    Sergeant Muldoon: We'll try.
    Reporter: Why is America raging this ruthless war in Vietnam?
    Sergeant Muldoon: Foreign policy decisions are not made by the military. A soldier goes where he is told to go, and fight whom is told to fight.

91 years ago Julie Bishop was born See her in The High and The Mighty and on this day 4 years ago she died aged 87.

99 years ago Joan Blondell was born she starred in Lady For A Night

109 years ago the actor Raymond Massey was born he played the baddie in reap the Wild Wind

21 years ago the actor Wesley Lau died aged 63 he was in The Alamo.

32 years ago John Wayne visited John Ford, Ford asked Duke if he had come for the death watch, Wayne replied that Ford would live to see them all out. This was the last time Wayne would see him alive.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 31st:-

55 years ago Dark Command was released in West Germany

40 years ago John Ford was interviewed by Andre S Labarthe of the French TV station ORTF.

112 years ago the actor Drew Demorest was born he featured in The Spoilers.

27 years ago the cinematographer Lee Garmes died. He worked on The Fighting Kentuckian.

37 years ago Dennis O'Keefe died aged 60 he appeared with John Wayne in The Fighting Seabees.

32 years ago Woody Strode who was considered by some to have been John Ford's last great love spent the day with Ford.
    At 6.35p.m. John Ford died from cancer aged 79. Some say that he died in Woody Strodes arms but this has never been confirmed.
    Some say that Ford's last words as the priest was giving the final blessing, was CUT! a fitting end to a great director.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day September 1st:-

50 years ago The Sea Chase was released in West Germany.

39 years ago The Sons of Katie Elder was released in Mexico.

Elder: I'm going with you. I can draw pretty fast. We can be famous -- like the Dalton Brothers!
    John Elder: They're famous -- but they're just a little bit dead. They were hung!

87 years ago the actor Nesden booth was born he was in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

122 years ago the actor Frank Hall Crane was born he was in Neath Arizona Skies

60 years ago Frank Craven died aged 70, he was in Pittsburgh (the film not the place)

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello All
    I know that your fortnight isn't over but when it is could you provide gender status of Woody Strode and definition of Fords love ie fraternal platonic or as significant other?

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi,
    All I know is that Woody was definitely a man,
    there is no doubt about that!!
    He was an athlete at UCLA and then a pro footballer.
    As to Fords relationship with him, I've no idea,
    but he and Duke nearly came to blows on the set of
    LIBERTY VALACE, which may not have been a smart move for
    Duke!!

ee

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi

Not ducking the issue, but when I looked through the questions being asked I found that what was a passing offhand comment contained a lot of information and rather thar give an off hand answer, and as this is a daily column I will open a particular thread relating to the relationship between Ford and Woody Strode.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Nice to be back and on track with the days.

On this day September 2nd

46 years ago John Wayne's lifelong dream began to come to fruition when filming began on the Alamo.

28 years ago Stephen Dunne who appeared in I Married A Woman died aged 59.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low