My Highest Recommendation For A Western Dvd!

There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,650 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is one of my all time favorite Westerns, and it features a fantastic cast -

WARLOCK

Starring Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, Anthony Quinn, DeForest Kelley, and Dorothy Malone. Directed by Eward Dmytryk.

You can see the full specs on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance

(Actually, the specs listed are missing some info at present, but within a few weeks all the details will be there. You can also look the movie up on http://www.imdb.com)

If you haven't seen this one (or even if you have) I highly recommend this one as one of your "must-buy" DVD's for 2005!

(The release date for the DVD is 5/24/05.)

See a couple of posts below for news on The Naked Spur....

Originally posted by B5Erik@Mar 20 2005, 02:20 AM

If you haven't seen this one (or even if you have) I highly recommend this one as one of your "must-buy" DVD's for 2005!

Okay already. I ordered it. It was released a month ago in the UK. It had a runtime of 116 minutes which is 6 minutes shorter than what IMDb states the movie should be but I guess I can live with that.

Originally posted by Popol Vuh@Mar 20 2005, 04:34 PM
    Okay already. I ordered it. It was released a month ago in the UK. It had a runtime of 116 minutes which is 6 minutes shorter than what IMDb states the movie should be but I guess I can live with that.

[snapback]15454[/snapback]

Odd that it's listed as 5 minutes shorter than the original release. When you watch it post another reply to this topic and let me know if it really is 116 minutes.

I looked up the UK version on Amazon.co.uk - I wasn't real impressed with the cover art (not the same cover as I posted above), but I didn't look up their listed run time - wait, I can do that now....

This version...

...is indeed listed at only 116 minutes. It was released by Optimum Home Entertainment in the UK.

I'm sure the version that Fox is putting out in May is the full 121 minute version (since it's their title).

I briefly considered buying the UK version (from Optimum), figuring that I could watch it on my computer - but I decided to wait for the official Fox release, and fortunately I won't have to wait very long. I'd be curious to compare the two releases...

Let me know what you think of it once you get a chance to watch it.

(edit - If I remember correctly to convert to PAL there is something of a time compression on DVDs. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that somewhere...)

• More great classic Western news!

The Naked Spur is coming to DVD in 2006! Reps from Warner Brothers confirmed that work is underway restoring this classic Anthony Mann/Jimmy Stewart movie!

I can't wait! First Warlock, and now this news - it just keeps getting better and better.

My Western collection on DVD is now over 70 titles strong (it was only about 30-40 titles a year ago). By the time I pick up The Naked Spur in 2006 it will be well over 100 titles!

Bring 'em on!!!!

• B5Erik,

What western titles do you have? Love to see or read about your collection. I have over 400 DVD titles. Various titles, but my priority is to collect Duke movies {all}.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• My priority at various points has been to collect Duke movies as well.

Feel free to post a list of your Western collection on the other thread.

Personally, I can't wait for Warlock and then The Naked Spur!

• Hi Erik.

Watched it yesterday and I agree that this is one of the best westerns I have seen.

I agree that the cover art is bad, but I don't really care about that.

As for the time difference between the PAL and NTSC it is 4% so that would explain it. I wasn't aware of that this was the way they did it. I thought maybe they used prints in other formats and that the NTSC and PAL only applied to television and finished DVD's.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• I'm glad you liked it.

I have a feeling that this movie is finally going to find an audience 46 years after it's release. Warlock is one of those movies that just got missed the first time around, but with the impending DVD release and its showing on cable networks it seems to be more popular now than it has been since it first came out in 1959!

And with good reason - it is a great movie.

• With the way you 2 are talking about this movie I cannot wait for the release over here in the US. Looking forward to it :)

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 8 2005, 09:39 AM
    With the way you 2 are talking about this movie I cannot wait for the release over here in the US. Looking forward to it :)

[snapback]15869[/snapback]

Yes,with all the good things ive been hearing I cant wait for the release of this movie up here in Canada.Looking forward to it for sure.

-IHW

• I just purchased The Professionals with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance and Ralph Bellamy. I haven't seen this movie yet, so what do you think? I'll get around and see it for myself. I did see that the movie was nominated for three Academy Awards.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Apr 9 2005, 10:45 PM
    I just purchased The Professionals with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance and Ralph Bellamy. I haven't seen this movie yet, so what do you think? Cheers B)

[snapback]15921[/snapback]

The Professionals? Good movie - very good. It's got a great cast, and it is a lot of fun to watch. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to the special edition, but I'm not sure... (I've already got the original DVD edition on this one.)

Man, so many great Westerns, so little time (and not nearly enough money to buy them all at once.., ;) ).

• Hondo D.L. The Professionals is an excellent movie and you will not be dissappointed in your purchase. I was going to buy My Darling Clementine yesterday but did not have enough funds for it. Instead I got Twister, The Enemy Below and Wake Island.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I just picked up Silverado the gift set edition. I really enjoy this movie and the gift set edition comes with a Superbit version of the film, so sound is better as well as the picture. I will be buying The Professionals at a later date.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne