Poposition For Discussion

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,355 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here is a thought. What is the possibility of a group of us getting together in the coming years for a trip to Ireland to Cong in the County of Mayo, where the "Quiet Man" was filmed in 1951. They say it has hardly changed in all these years. I think it would be an idea for those who could attend. Perhaps, in other years, we could put together a trip to Monument Valley or another location. This year is out for me and probably most folks but the future is open.

Well...That's the idea. What do you think? - Ben

• Hi Ben,that does sounds nice.I was wanting to head to Monument valley in 2007 as i meant alot to duke and for all of us fans especially me.So i would rather go there as opposed to going to Ireland,although it does sounds great to go to such a lovely place.

I wont have the finances until,probably 2007 though.

-IHW

• I'm not sure how much any of these trips would cost, as a ball park figure. I haven't done much research other than to know that there is a museum, built like "White-o-Mornin" cottage, with the first floor decorated just as in the movie. "Cohan's" bar is really a gas station that is currently being remodeled to become a real bar named "Cohan's Bar". I really like John's western roles and locations too. I just have The "Quiet Man" on the brain right now. It will pass...Ha, Ha.

Well, I have to go back out on the road for another week. I'll check back when I get home. Thanks for the post, IHW. - Ben

• On a rough estimate how much would a trip from Northern Ireland to monument valley in 2007 cost.

I would favour going to Cong as its closer but I do want to see Monument valley it is a dream that I hope will come true some day.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• We did a quick search on Expedia.com, and the price from Belfast to Phoenix, Arizona was around $2000. From London (Heathrow) to Phoenix was as low as $860. From Belfast to London is $300, so I think it would be cheaper to fly to London and then to the US. From Geneva, Switzerland, the fare to Phoenix is around $1,100 (don't know your closest airport, itdo, so we just picked that one). From Sydney, Australia to Phoenix is around $1,700 per ticket (we know you'd need two, smokey :rolleyes: ). I don't know if Phoenix is the closest major airport to Monument Valley, it's just the one we picked.

It's late here, so I think this is as far as we'll go with this one . . . tonight :dead: .

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Phoenix or Las Vegas is the best bet if you want to go to Monument Valley then you will have to take a Commuter Flight into Gouldings Lodge Airstrip at Monument Valley. :fear2: If you go to Monument Valley from Las Vegas you will get a Great View of the Grande Canyon from the Air and Lake Powell! :rolleyes:
    Chilibill :cowboy:

• Going back to Expedia, the prices for flying into Las Vegas were a little cheaper from Sydney, more expensive from the other locations (anywhere from $60 to $300 more).

Driving distance from Las Vegas to Monument Valley is 400 miles, from Phoeniz to Monument Valley is 317 miles.

For us "locals" the trip from our home to Monument Valley via Las Vegas would be 200 miles less than through Phoenix. The reason I mention that is that if folks were all flying in around the same time, perhaps we could pick up and drive y'all the rest of the way (we have 2 8-passenger vans; if the Mrs. and I both drive, we could transport a small crowd). Of course, if fuel costs keep on going like they have, we might have to rethink driving two vans at 15 miles per gallon :blink: .

Anyway, just brainstorming here, not making any hard commitments . . . :rolleyes: .

Chester :newyear:

• When I flew from Corpus Christi International to DFW to Frankfurt, Germany, and back was $770.00. This was with only a weeks notice. From here to there was at leastr 6,000++ miles each way. From 10 to 11 hrs flying time. I stayed in Deutschland for 1 month and had taken about $3,000 in travellers checks with me as well as two credit cards. I came back not having spent all my dough even after buying alot of gifts for friends and family as well as some Bier steins and militaria for myself. This included paying for my travelling companions petrol and hotel bills for half the trip as well as gifts for her and about 10 dinners "on the house."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Don't call me the party-booper but don't you think that there will be some John Wayne convention celebrating the 100th birthday, in a fitting place, anyway? My guess is that Ermal and his gang have something coming up, or maybe Tim Lilley knows more - he organized JW conventions which even some of Wayne's co-stars and Pilar attended.

Although I'd love to meet all of you in the flesh (Robbie, I could finally really kick your butt for not loving The Alamo) I've already been to Monument Valley three times and to Cong once (not that I wouldn't love to go back again and again).

And to quote Bogie in Casablanca: "I don't plan that far ahead". Heck, I don't know if I'm alive in 2007! You're all so optimistic! :ph34r:

• I was under the impression that the official JW birthday party was in Cong and arranged by Ermal.

Roland ok ok I'm going to have to psyche myself up to giving the Alamo another chance.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I have tried to get some Info. on the so called trip to Cong in 2007 with no luck! Maybe some of you have some Info? I agree with idto , and at my age I might not be alive in 2007! I have been to Monument Valley many times for T.V. and other Shoots but I am still amazed every time I go there! I will be flying over it on my way to Grand Junction, Colorado and Moab, Utah this weekend, and will get more pictures from the air.

If ERMAL and his gang or LILLEY have something planed maybe one of you can tell us about it?

Bill :cowboy:

• Well...I don't know. It was just an idea. Something to think and talk about you know.

Of course there are plenty of opportunities, at any time, for anyone to travel too / or when they can afford to. I didn't realize how spread-out we poster's truly are either. (I really must spend some time, some day, reading peoples bio's. ha,ha)

Have a good day, - Ben

• hi chester and mrs c

thanks for the heads up on prices from sydney, but that is the least of my worries first of i would have to get a domsetic flight from our local air port brisbane (brizzie) and they are putting in place a surcharge for jet fuel so for 2 return you are looking at another A$500 min. then we only get about A$0.70 to a US$ so short of coming into a great windfall things look a little bleak for us coming over but we can only hope things will look up in the furture. on top of that am a little weary about air travel what with it looking like we have people slipping drugs into your bags once they are booked in.

fingers crossed we can make but not making any promises, the little bloke wants to meet some of you ugly mugs(a complament) :lol: so he gets to know you. excuse the spelling but am doing this quite late and soon going to nighty night

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• The 2007 trip to Ireland, to commemorate the Duke's 100th birthday, was originally proposed by Ermal two years ago, as a Duke's Hollywood Cowboy event. Since then, Ermal has disbanded the DHC, so I don't really know what is happening in that regard now. I think some of those folks are still hoping to make that trip in 2007. I know we've discussed it a few times in the past couple of years on this message board, but I think that's as official as it may be at this point in time.

I'll try to get in touch with Ermal and update that. For someone to organize such an event would take an awful lot of energy, time, and sharing the load with other folks.

• Well, I got a chance to call Ermal today, and he seems to be doing fine in Branson, Missouri. He has a new act going with "America's Yodeling Sweetheart" (Paula Cravens) (HERE'S a link for more info about the show).

When asked about the trip to Cong, Ireland in 2007, Ermal said it's still a go, and he has 35 people lined up to go so far. He will have more information on his web site, http://www.ermal.com soon. As soon as we learn anything, we'll report here.