Question For You Military Buffs

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,718 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am often amazed at the knowledge displayed on this site about military subjects, so I want to see if I can get some help. My sister-in-law wants me to sell some stuff for her on ebay and in the box was a copy of a book titled

U.S.S. Turner Joy
    DD951
    Westpac Cruise

It seems to be a cruisebook written and given to the men who were deployed on that cruise. There is room for photos and autographs in the back. The captains message is as follows:

In the years to come this cruisebook will provide a storehouse for memories of the many experiences shared by us these past seven months. This 1964 cruise with the Seventh Fleet began and ended in a period of bitter international strife and tension throughout Asia. It was our job as members of the Seventh Fleet to play a vital front line roll in the protection of the free peoples of the Far East and the defence of our country. Our involvement in the Gulf of Tonkin incident but was an example of the important roll we took. The realization that we did our duty and did it exceedingly well should be a memory never forgotten and should be a source of pride in self, in shipmates and in Navy for the rest of our lives. It was my pleasure to serve with you. Your dedication to duty has left me with an indelible impression. May I extend to each of you my sincere best wishes for success in the future. Good luck and Godspeed. R.C. Barnhart, Jr.

What I need to know, is there any value to this book. It was from an historic cruise, being that the Bay of Tonkin incident was what propelled the U.S. Congess to pass the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, which gave the Government authorization for what eventually became a full-scale war in Southeast Asia.

any help is appreciated. Thanks, Dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I have 2 Westpac cruise books from my time in the Navy. I wouldn't think that there would be much worth to the book unless you have a personal attachment to the ship or the actual cruise. My books will never be sold because of the personal value attached to them, but I would think they would not fetch to high of a price if I was to try and sell them.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Dukefan, I cannot say for sure on values of books such as these are but, one thing to remember is that you do not sees these every day of the week either. They are VERY rare and that is one item i'd suggest that is to be held on to. If you don't mind me asking but, are there any other kinds of military related items that she wants to sell? If so, I can possibly be of help there?

I know that since my main interest in anykind of Militaria has to do with German stuff, that there are books such as the one mentioned for sale more often than not and those books can command from maybe 50 or so Dollars to thousands of Dollars, depending on what unit or ship the book is about and isssued from.

One thing, just don't let anyone tell you these are worthless becaue they are not worthless.

Best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I would like to clarify alittle. I don't mean to say that they are worthless, mine are not worthless. But that is just to me. To the right person they mean something and would then bring more money. What I meant to say is that the books are probably not something there is allot of demand for.

I did a search on EBay and there was a few books there. Prices ranged from $5.00 to $35.00. So you make the decision, is it worth it or not to sell it. If it has any meaning what so ever, I would keep it since it isn't allot of money.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@May 9 2005, 07:20 PM
    I would like to clarify alittle. I don't mean to say that they are worthless, mine are not worthless. But that is just to me. To the right person they mean something and would then bring more money. What I meant to say is that the books are probably not something there is allot of demand for.

I did a search on EBay and there was a few books there. Prices ranged from $5.00 to $35.00. So you make the decision, is it worth it or not to sell it. If it has any meaning what so ever, I would keep it since it isn't allot of money.

[snapback]16650[/snapback]

I'm a nostalgic person. A few years ago I placed an advertisement in my hometown newspaper offering to buy a decade's worth of high school yearbooks for a hundred dollars apiece. I think when they were first published, back in the Fifties, kids could buy them for 7 or 8 dollars, or maybe even less.

Along the same lines, I've been trying to buy a cruise book from the 1958 Westpac deployment of USS Shangri-La (CVA-38). I made two cruises aboard carriers, the 1956 deployment of USS Essex (CVA-9) and the second aboard Shangri-La. I have a cruise book from the Essex but not the Shang. I believe they probably sold for 8 or 10 dollars to sailors aboard the ship but I've offered $250. for a book in good condition. So far, no one has replied to any of my offers.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hey Stumpy, I have a couple cruise books. The first was from my deployment with the New Jersey after she was retrofitted the last time. And the other was when we were with the Enterprise in 88. You want to buy mine for $250!! :lol: :lol: Just kidding, I wouldn't sell mine.

-John Wayne

• Thank you all for the replies. Sorry, Ringo, that is the only thing military related that she wants me to sell. She found the book, so it has no meaning to her. When I read it, I saw that it had mentioned in it about the Bay of Tonkin incident and looked that up online. Here's what I learned:

Amid steadily rising tensions over North Vietnam's activities in Laos and South Vietnam, at the end of July 1964 USS Maddox entered the Gulf of Tonkin for a cruise along the North Vietnamese coast. As part of a general U.S. effort to collect intelligence in potential Far Eastern hot spots, this "Desoto Patrol" was particularly focused on obtaining information that would support South Vietnamese coastal raids against North Vietnam. One of these had just taken place as Maddox began her mission.
    On the afternoon of 2 August 1964, while steaming well offshore in international waters, Maddox was attacked by three North Vietnamese motor torpedo boats. The destroyer maneuvered to avoid torpedoes and used her guns against her fast-moving opponents, hitting them all. In turn, she was struck in the after gun director by a single 14.5-millimeter machine gun bullet. Maddox called for air support from the carrier Ticonderoga, whose planes strafed the three boats, leaving one dead in the water and burning. Both sides then separated.
    Maddox was soon ordered to resume her patrol, this time accompanied by the larger and newer destroyer Turner Joy. On 3 August, the South Vietnamese conducted another coastal raid. Intelligence indicated that the North Vietnamese were planning to again attack the U.S. ships operating off their shores, although this intrepretation was incorrect. During the night of 4 August, while they were underway in the middle of the Tonkin Gulf, Maddox and Turner Joy detected speedy craft closing in. For some two hours the ships fired on radar targets and maneuvered vigorously amid electronic and visual reports of torpedoes. There were no visual sightings of hostile craft, and it is possible that the destroyers were actually firing at radar echoes on Turner Joy's screen caused by freak atmospheric conditions.
    Though information obtained well after the fact indicates that there was actually no North Vietnamese attack that night, U.S. authorities were convinced at the time that one had taken place, and reacted by sending planes from the carriers Ticonderoga and Constellation to hit North Vietnamese torpedo boat bases and fuel facilites. A few days later, the U.S. Congess passed the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, which gave the Government authorization for what eventually became a full-scale war in Southeast Asia.

The fact that the cruise had a historical slant to it made me wonder if it had a value pehaps more than just that of a uneventful cruise. I could see where the book would hold sentimental value to someone who had actually served on that cruise. I found it very interesting. Maybe I will talk her into letting me keep it as my fee for selling her other stuff. Thanks for all your help. You people are great!

Dukefan1 :D

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "